05-28-2015 08:09 PM
36 12
tools
    So now that we know (kind of) that the update will arrive in June. What features are you most looking forward to?

Will the update change any of your perceptions towards the phone? Will it make you like it more?

*note that I've used 'phone' instead of Motorola or Verizon. Because we all hate both of them for not updating it sooner. I think. Most of us do maybe? I don't know.

Me personally? I'm looking forward to my phone being relatively bug free than it is now. That's the only thing I'm looking forward to. Assuming lollipop won't bring with itself any new ones.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-23-2015 12:41 PM
    So why couldn't you post this here ? http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...re-update.html
    05-23-2015 01:09 PM
    So why couldn't you post this here ? http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...re-update.html
    What?

05-23-2015 01:44 PM
    I would like to see a lil better battery, other than that im just curious of how different it will look on the turbo from the note4 since the note still had a lot of touchwiz (which i don't mind) on it.

05-23-2015 01:54 PM
    So now that we know (kind of) that the update will arrive in June. What features are you most looking forward to?
    None. In fact, I've got Lollipop on my Nexus tablet and there are things I dislike. Priority mode for notifications (can't wait to see how that will screw up Moto's built-in notification scheme), the new auto brightness/dimming "feature" - - seems I'm always tweaking it when reading e-books in bed, the childish color scheme and inane animations (thankfully no accompanying sound effects, yet), the task manager screen which fills up like a free Taylor Swift concert at Yankee Stadium and must be emptied one-by-one.

Will the update change any of your perceptions towards the phone? Will it make you like it more?
    Won't change my perception toward the phone, it's a beast, but will change my attitude toward Google. No, I will not like my phone more.
    05-23-2015 05:55 PM
    I have heard that it will give u the option between the lollipop version of notifications or to continue to use the moto way.. I cant confirm this, but ill keep the moto version more than likely if given the choice, moto's way is a stroke of genius in my opinion!

KPMcClave likes this.
    05-23-2015 07:45 PM
    PowrDroid you're absolutely right. I agree. But it will freshen up the droid experience don't you think? Bring it back to life!

Ricky Gray1 and Emperor like this.
    05-23-2015 08:08 PM
    This is a very specific question, worthy of a separate thread (I would have added; "What are your expectations?" or "Do you think it will improve your experience?" to the thread title to better reflect the intent -- but that's a nit pick).
    jpdaballa likes this.
    05-25-2015 08:25 AM
    I often have quality problems talking to my son in FL who is on Sprint. I doubt the update will address this, but if it does, that goes into the "plus" column for sure. I like the "idea" of the change in appearance and operation that comes with Materiel Design, just because I like to see a change once in a while, however, I am concerned with the complaints that I have heard from others that don't like material design as implemented.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to ART, and the POSSIBILITY of overall improved phone performance. Of course, I'm fully prepared to be let down on this, and since the Turbo already has the horsepower to run KitKat without issue, any performance improvements will probably only be (potentially) notable via benchmark. And before anyone says it, yes I know I can enable ART on my phone but have desire to do so until it is natively delivered to my phone.
    05-25-2015 08:33 AM
    I always wonder why some are so concerned about how others add posts or add another post that is "similar, but a little different" like this one. I agree with dungoyle that there is no problem this being a separate thread. It's not as if this additional thread is going to severely overload the Android Central servers and cause them to crash!
    Wayne Sanders likes this.
    05-25-2015 11:06 AM
    I often have quality problems talking to my son in FL who is on Sprint. I doubt the update will address this, but if it does, that goes into the "plus" column for sure. I like the "idea" of the change in appearance and operation that comes with Materiel Design, just because I like to see a change once in a while, however, I am concerned with the complaints that I have heard from others that don't like material design as implemented.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to ART, and the POSSIBILITY of overall improved phone performance. Of course, I'm fully prepared to be let down on this, and since the Turbo already has the horsepower to run KitKat without issue, any performance improvements will probably only be (potentially) notable via benchmark. And before anyone says it, yes I know I can enable ART on my phone but have desire to do so until it is natively delivered to my phone.
    I also have problem taking to sprint and T-Mobile, not sure if this will be fixed. With the camera improved recently, this would be my main hope.

05-25-2015 12:08 PM
    With the fact that VoLTE is "baked in" to Lollipop 5.1, I would think the chances of quality improving for those who have that version or above are good. That's only a guess, but it seems like the type of thing that would smooth out inconsistencies between two phones on different carriers, if both have 5.1. Makes sense that it will matter, we'll see if it actually does.

Now, if you're talking with someone on another carrier who is below 5.1, I would guess in that case it won't make a difference.
    05-25-2015 01:53 PM
    I certainly would like additional camera improvement. The jury is still out on lower light motion with the new update at the moment (haven't had a chance to try it), but even if it is improved, I expect there is still room for additional improvement.

I like that ART will be native. I used ART on my Droid Maxx and did notice a slightly snappier experience. I can't say whether it mattered in battery life. If it did, the bump was negligible. Activiating ART on the Turbo leads to its continued attempt to optimize 70 or so apps every reboot.

More battery savings? This is supposed to be something we're to expect. This is more a perspective issue than anything. I feel my Turbo gets only slightly better battery life than my Droid Maxx did. I would feel better about it all if it got a bump and it was clearly better.

I put battery life and camera at the top of my priority list at this point. So, while my hopes for the 5.1 update may not seem like big deals, given how I weight things, they would make me pretty happy. It's a big compliment to the Turbo as is that we aren't longing for more central things like performance and speed boosts, or battery improvement we really *need*.
    dungoyle likes this.
    05-25-2015 02:06 PM

Yes! Change is necessary! I'm with you on this a hundred percent! I'm excited to try out new wallpapers and new customizations for my phone. A fresher look does help me keep the phone much longer. As I'm in a constant habit of changing them. The update has kind of been an excuse for me to keep the Turbo for a little longer. And maybe this is the only time when I've found a right phone for me. Still, old habits die hard. I like change. And because I use my phone 24/7 I NEED to change either my look of the phone or the phone itself. I get bored pretty quickly. Having said that, the UI change will be welcomed openheartedly.
    As far as the ART and performance goes. I really don't know what that means and what it can do better. I enabled ART on my nexus 5 back when it was on KitKat and it didn't seem to make any noticeable difference. Having said that, I know its for the better. And I would love to have it.

05-25-2015 02:11 PM
    I don't think it (the update) will help VoLTE for me at least. Verizon told me today that my issues were because of fringe coverage and suggested I turn it off.

My main hope is it fixes the camera (and happens soon enough that I don't give in and switch to the S6 or the G4). I love the turbo but want a better camera on my phone.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-25-2015 02:12 PM
    I certainly would like additional camera improvement. The jury is still out on lower light motion with the new update at the moment (haven't had a chance to try it), but even if it is improved, I expect there is still room for additional improvement.

I like that ART will be native. I used ART on my Droid Maxx and did notice a slightly snappier experience. I can't say whether it mattered in battery life. If it did, the bump was negligible. Activiating ART on the Turbo leads to its continued attempt to optimize 70 or so apps every reboot.

More battery savings? This is supposed to be something we're to expect. This is more a perspective issue than anything. I feel my Turbo gets only slightly better battery life than my Droid Maxx did. I would feel better about it all if it got a bump and it was clearly better.

I put battery life and camera at the top of my priority list at this point. So, while my hopes for the 5.1 update may not seem like big deals, given how I weight things, they would make me pretty happy. It's a big compliment to the Turbo as is that we aren't longing for more central things like performance and speed boosts, or battery improvement we really *need*.
    Hahaha man. I'm telling you now. I want the better camera too, but it can't get better. It just can't. Its an average camera and we'll have to live with it

May I ask... Is there a phone camera you know which improved after an update?

HTC one M9 was supposed to, but MKBHD mentioned that in his review that he did his camera review after the update and it didn't change anything.

Any other phone? I can't think of one.

And yes! Additional battery life improvements will be great! Although I think the 'whites' in lollipop UI will affect the battery a little. Negatively.

05-25-2015 02:15 PM
    I don't think it (the update) will help VoLTE for me at least. Verizon told me today that my issues were because of fringe coverage and suggested I turn it off.

My main hope is it fixes the camera (and happens soon enough that I don't give in and switch to the S6 or the G4). I love the turbo but want a better camera on my phone.
    No man I'm sorry I don't think lollipop will be able to fix the camera for you. With the recent update out, I don't think Motorola will want to update it even further. Its a bonus we're getting the lollipop because I was getting more and more skeptical about that to even happen.

05-25-2015 02:19 PM
    More battery savings? This is supposed to be something we're to expect.
    Google promised the same for KitKat over jellybean and battery was worse on the droid maxx after that update, so I'll believe it when I see it.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-25-2015 02:47 PM
    Yes! Change is necessary! I'm with you on this a hundred percent! I'm excited to try out new wallpapers and new customizations for my phone. A fresher look does help me keep the phone much longer. As I'm in a constant habit of changing them.
    OK, you change the look of your phone frequently. So do I. New icon packs, new wallpaper, etc. Don't need Lollipop for that. I've noticed that no one has actually addressed the OP's question of which "features" they are looking forward to with Lollipop. Most are saying they want "fixes", i.e. fix the battery, fix the camera, fix VoLTE. (Riswan has said he wants the "new look" of Lollipop. I guess that could be considered a feature.)

What features of Lollipop are people looking forward to?
    05-25-2015 02:48 PM
    For me there's really no feature that will change my feeling about my turbo. I also don't feel there's any feature that will significantly improve the phone. I have LP on my nexus 7 and 10. Sure it looks nice but hasn't improved or negatively impacted performance .
    05-25-2015 02:56 PM
    Really the biggest thing for me are notification toggles. Yes, I know I can get them from third party apps, but I prefer it when the os supplies it.

Other things? Priority notifications sounds great to me.

So, I guess those are minor things, but I do feel they will help make me more productive.

I can live with KitKat, though. Once apps start appearing that *require* lollipop APIs, though, then I'd start feeling that I want the update.
    Ricky Gray1 and TurboHope like this.
    05-25-2015 05:20 PM
    05-25-2015 10:59 PM
    OK, you change the look of your phone frequently. So do I. New icon packs, new wallpaper, etc. Don't need Lollipop for that. I've noticed that no one has actually addressed the OP's question of which "features" they are looking forward to with Lollipop. Most are saying they want "fixes", i.e. fix the battery, fix the camera, fix VoLTE. (Riswan has said he wants the "new look" of Lollipop. I guess that could be considered a feature.)

I love the screen pinning feature. Because it's awful giving your phone to somebody else.

I love the multi user feature as well. Again, easier to hand over your phone to somebody else for days and not worrying about anything.

Plus the animations are great. The recent app screen is kind of fun to use.

Power saving features will help even further.

And you said that we don't need an upgrade to change the way our phone looks. I agree. But changing everything inside out WILL require an update. Unlike Samsung, Sony and HTC, we can't change EVERY SINGLE thing on our Turbo. Just the basic home screens and app drawers. Rooting can of course help achieve anything but I don't like doing that.

05-26-2015 03:50 AM
    Can't say I am overly eager to get any specific new feature. Frankly, I'd be happy with a little more call and ringer volume. I'm curious to see how 5.1 will look, and what the interface will be like. Each time I read an article describing the updates in Lollipop, I think "hmm, that never occurred to me to be a problem than needed solving." ;-)
    05-26-2015 11:24 AM

*note that I've used 'phone' instead of Motorola or Verizon. Because we all hate both of them for not updating it sooner. I think. Most of us do maybe? I don't know.

Me personally? I'm looking forward to my phone being relatively bug free than it is now. That's the only thing I'm looking forward to. Assuming lollipop won't bring with itself any new ones.

Probably the quick flashlight gesture, Raw photos(if that even helps), and this
    Android "L" Feature Spotlight: Android Now Natively Supports USB Audio-Out
    05-26-2015 12:34 PM
36 12