I've been told by Verizon and by Motorola that I need to do a factory reset. (Moto Approach stopped working yesterday and we can't get it to start again.)

Before doing that, is there any way to backup my folder settings (which apps are grouped together in which folders on my home screens) so that I don't have to re-invent my filing system after the reset?
    06-10-2015 10:03 AM
    Use RSD lite to flash the fxz file onto the Turbo. That will reinstall the system partition to stock while leaving data untouched.
    06-10-2015 10:37 AM
    I've been told by Verizon and by Motorola that I need to do a factory reset. (Moto Approach stopped working yesterday and we can't get it to start again.)

Before doing that, is there any way to backup my folder settings (which apps are grouped together in which folders on my home screens) so that I don't have to re-invent my filing system after the reset?
    Not with the stock launcher, or at least not that I know of.

If you use a third party launcher, like Nova Prime or Action Launcher, they have options to backup your settings to storage and then restore later, and I am fairly certain that includes folder layouts. They should be able also to import from your stock launcher now (though I am not 100% sure of that.)

Nova has a free version. You can install that and then see if it will import the Turbo stock launcher layout. If so, and if you like Nova launcher, then, yes, you can. You'd have to copy the backup file from storage before you factory reset and then copy it back after, them go into the settings of Nova Launcher and restore.
    06-10-2015 10:43 AM
    There is no easy way to save then restore the desktop settings, including application downloads, for the stock launcher. I would suggest going into system settings > backup and restore > application backup and enabling the feature that will make a backup of your device data. When you factory reset be sure to be on a WiFi network and restore the data during the login process.

You'll have to adjust certain settings, including app and widget placement on the home screen, but the process should not take very long.
    06-10-2015 07:27 PM
    There is no easy way to save then restore the desktop settings, including application downloads, for the stock launcher. I would suggest going into system settings > backup and restore > application backup and enabling the feature that will make a backup of your device data. When you factory reset be sure to be on a WiFi network and restore the data during the login process.

You'll have to adjust certain settings, including app and widget placement on the home screen, but the process should not take very long.
    Will that save text and phone history. Traditionally, I use My Backup Pro for that.
    06-11-2015 07:35 AM
    Made sure all my contacts were in Google. Then did screen shots of my folder setups. Then connected the phone to a PC and file-transferred all my media stuff. Then did the factory reset. Been rebuilding folder layouts. Then read a news article that said that lollipop is rolling out to droid turbos beginning June 10 - yesterday! If I'd read that 3 hours earlier I'd have lived with the flaw until the update rolls out to my phone. Murphy rules!!!
    06-11-2015 08:01 AM
    Made sure all my contacts were in Google. Then did screen shots of my folder setups. Then connected the phone to a PC and file-transferred all my media stuff. Then did the factory reset. Been rebuilding folder layouts. Then read a news article that said that lollipop is rolling out to droid turbos beginning June 10 - yesterday! If I'd read that 3 hours earlier I'd have lived with the flaw until the update rolls out to my phone. Murphy rules!!!
    Fyi, NEVER believe news linked to an 'official' Verizon news release. It didn't happen.
    06-11-2015 08:32 AM
    Will that save text and phone history. Traditionally, I use My Backup Pro for that.
    No, it won't. Continue to use My Backup Pro for those backups.
    dungoyle likes this.
    06-11-2015 11:18 AM
    I very sadly recently learned that Android 4.4.2 has a security patch that refuses to give MyBackup Pro the needed permissions to backup home settings. Very sad. Have been desperately looking for a work around short of rooting my Galaxy S5 for T-Mobile.
    06-30-2015 10:47 PM