Chance of getting new/replacement Turbo from Verizon

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
So basically my battery has progressively been getting worse every week.

I can't even make it through a 12-14 hour period anymore without needing a charge. I am pretty much always on WiFi except when I am commuting to and from work.

I have attached a few images of an example where i was under 10 hours of use and was at 16% battery with less than 2 hours of screen time. I keep the screen brightness pretty low.

Screenshot_2015-06-04-17-42-10.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-04-17-42-15.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-04-17-42-24.jpg

My phone also tends to be getting pretty hot even when it is not charging. It seems to be between 104-110 degrees a lot based on a temperature app and I can feel it through my pockets.

My sister and my mom both have Turbo's and seem to have no issues with theirs. We obviously don't use it the same but I wouldn't really consider myself a heavy user. My old Razr Maxx HD never had issues getting through a day even after it got upgraded to Kit Kat.

So I really wanted to know of the thoughts on Verizon giving me a different Turbo.

Thanks.

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
When did you purchase it? That would largely determine what Verizon would do. Outside of 30 days, they may not be overly helpful and may push you towards making an insurance claim. Really it depends on how knowledgeable the VZW rep is that you are dealing with. There are people at VZW stores who really know their stuff and go out of their way to help and there's others who are just collecting a paycheck.

But the device is still under warranty from Motorola so you could always get a new device from them.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Your Android system and services are sucking down some juice. I think you have an errant app. Verizon will probably request you to run in safe mode to prove it isn't an app on the phone.

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought the phone in December but it got real bad in the past month.

I have done a partition cache clear a few times and the first time or 2 it seemed to make it better but the last few times it has done nothing.

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When did you purchase it? That would largely determine what Verizon would do. Outside of 30 days, they may not be overly helpful and may push you towards making an insurance claim. Really it depends on how knowledgeable the VZW rep is that you are dealing with. There are people at VZW stores who really know their stuff and go out of their way to help and there's others who are just collecting a paycheck.

But the device is still under warranty from Motorola so you could always get a new device from them.

I don't think an insurance claim would enter into it. That's usually reserved for something not covered under warranty. They still have to support the device for the first year, and during that time if you have a defect not caused by the user, there are two options. First is to go through Verizon, and they'll issue you CPO (certified pre-owned) replacement. Or you can go through Motorola, and you can either send it in for repair, or in some cases they'll issue you a new device and put a temporary charge on your card until they receive your phone and evaluate it to determine if it falls under warranty or not.

IIRC the only time an insurance claim will handle a non damage claim is after the factory warranty has expired.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the phone was awake quite a bit even though the screen was off. This is my screen shot just now... Notice how my awake and screen are almost the same..

DRoID TuRBo this...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the phone was awake quite a bit even though the screen was off. This is my screen shot just now... Notice how my awake and screen are almost the same..

DRoID TuRBo this...

Phone calls were 8% of his battery. I'll bet that block of awake time with the display off was a phone call.

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am having similar issues with my battery. Seems the cause us often Google Play Services. I think I am going to bite the bullet and do a factory reset tonight and monitor it over the next few days.

Posted via the Android Central App

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Did the reset last night. Battery usage has been normal so far today with Google Play Services staying around 8% of battery which is much lower than previously. Screen took up a large % but that's because I did have to spend some time redoing my settings and other options. Now this has solely been while I have been home on my WiFi. The real test will be the next several days when I am at work and I am getting a sub-par 3G/4G signal to see if it still drains bad. Then I will know if it was the bad connection or if it was other issues and the reset fixed them.

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
So I went to Verizon on Saturday and luckily exactly as they had it in their hands, it started to get extremely hot and bog down to the point where using it was quite difficult.

They required that they do a factory reset themselves before anything further can be done. So it wouldn't have mattered if I had already done one, they need to prove that they did one before they can look into providing a new phone.

They stated that if any of the issues persist with battery life, over heating or bogging down that I could come in and get a new one in a few days. I also have phone insurance so I am not sure what the case would be for someone without it.

After the factory reset, the phone has been running a lot better. No overheating or performance issues as of right now. The battery life has been better, but I don't think that it is performing at what it should be and what it was when I had it the first few months. Granted it has only been 2 days so I will have to see.

So if the phone starts to resort back to running into my previous issues, I at least have the option to go back to Verizon and get a replacement since they have all the information noted and performed the factory reset themselves.

robnhl

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would contact Motorola before trying to do an insurance swap, if VZW pushes you that way. Moto customer service is very good and they'll likely ship you a phone to exchange if you can demonstrate a problem.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
or you could just drop it, crack the screen and they will give you your one free replacement (dont even bring up the battery issue, say the screen cracked.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
IMO, insurance shouldn't even be a consideration. The device is under warranty, if it's not performing or the battery is defective it should be covered by the device warranty.

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Did the reset last night. Battery usage has been normal so far today with Google Play Services staying around 8% of battery which is much lower than previously. Screen took up a large % but that's because I did have to spend some time redoing my settings and other options. Now this has solely been while I have been home on my WiFi. The real test will be the next several days when I am at work and I am getting a sub-par 3G/4G signal to see if it still drains bad. Then I will know if it was the bad connection or if it was other issues and the reset fixed them.

Next time you can try this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.playfulgeeks.gservicefix&token=psXK2Nfe

Works every time for me when Google Services gets out of hand. Note: you have to have GPS on and battery at 100% for it to run, then you just reboot the phone. I also add a cache clear in that reboot (I just reboot straight to recovery).

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So I went to Verizon on Saturday and luckily exactly as they had it in their hands, it started to get extremely hot and bog down to the point where using it was quite difficult.

They required that they do a factory reset themselves before anything further can be done. So it wouldn't have mattered if I had already done one, they need to prove that they did one before they can look into providing a new phone.

They stated that if any of the issues persist with battery life, over heating or bogging down that I could come in and get a new one in a few days. I also have phone insurance so I am not sure what the case would be for someone without it.

After the factory reset, the phone has been running a lot better. No overheating or performance issues as of right now. The battery life has been better, but I don't think that it is performing at what it should be and what it was when I had it the first few months. Granted it has only been 2 days so I will have to see.

So if the phone starts to resort back to running into my previous issues, I at least have the option to go back to Verizon and get a replacement since they have all the information noted and performed the factory reset themselves.

They claim they need to do a factory reset but that's not true. If you go to Settings/About Phone/Status it will show you exactly when the last reset was performed. Verizon even gets this information relayed to their call centers automatically with each reset you do. I only know the latter because they knew the exact date I did my last one when I had speaker issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781