Slow, laggy typing speed on my Turbo

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I simply cannot adapt to Swiftkey like I want to, despite trying hard to use it to its fullest, so with the new OS update it is time to see how the Google stock keyboard has changed and if it is any better on the lag front. I would like to think a new OS fixes the issue but we shall see.

Posted via the Android Central App

I do too. I've been using Google Keyboard since the first Motorola phone that introduced it. I installed it on every Samsung device too. I just love how it works and no other Keyboard has compared yet.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Still experimenting but there is some lag still on L with stock keyboard but much easier to type than Swiftkey. Need more time to get a full grasp of the situation.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Still experimenting but there is some lag still on L with stock keyboard but much easier to type than Swiftkey. Need more time to get a full grasp of the situation.

I have zero lag after clearing out my text messages on KK. I'm not on Lollipop and after a factory reset its still not lagging at all.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I think I am done with Swiftkey. While it does not lag, the word predictions are terrible, and i hate that it automatically adds spaces and i am a guy who likes to manually add them in. I am intentionally leaving the i's uncapitalized in this post to show another nuisance.

Google stock keyboard from the Play store still lags bad. Clearling cache or text messages has nothing to do with it. Lollipop had nothing to do with it, as this was a KK issue.

I need a reliable third option, free if possible.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Holy mackerel, Swiftkey is by far the best prediction engine out there, and it's always capitalized i's for me unless I force it not to by choosing the left most prediction.

Oh, well. Fleksy just went free the other day. Try that.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I am done with Swiftkey. While it does not lag, the word predictions are terrible, and i hate that it automatically adds spaces and i am a guy who likes to manually add them in. I am intentionally leaving the i's uncapitalized in this post to show another nuisance.

Google stock keyboard from the Play store still lags bad. Clearling cache or text messages has nothing to do with it. Lollipop had nothing to do with it, as this was a KK issue.

I need a reliable third option, free if possible.

That's very odd because SwiftKey always capitalized "I" for me. I've been using Google Keyboard again since Lollipop and I have zero lag what so ever and I'm typing this message from it. I hope you find an option that works for you.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Holy mackerel, Swiftkey is by far the best prediction engine out there, and it's always capitalized i's for me unless I force it not to by choosing the left most prediction.

Oh, well. Fleksy just went free the other day. Try that.

Then apparently my phone hates me if I can't find a good keyboard. I hear the praises of Swiftkey but I just can't seem to make it a good fit for me and I've been using it heavily for whatever period of time it was since I posted in here I'd try it, so I have an ample experimental period.

I will examine the other however and see how it goes. If not, I will be back to Swiftkey and figuring out how to make it truly work for me. I was fine with the stock keyboard but that lag just kills me and I can't seem to fix it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Then apparently my phone hates me if I can't find a good keyboard. I hear the praises of Swiftkey but I just can't seem to make it a good fit for me and I've been using it heavily for whatever period of time it was since I posted in here I'd try it, so I have an ample experimental period.

I will examine the other however and see how it goes. If not, I will be back to Swiftkey and figuring out how to make it truly work for me. I was fine with the stock keyboard but that lag just kills me and I can't seem to fix it.

You did the step where it reads your text messages, twitter account, Gmail account, etc., to learn your typing patterns?

Whatever, it's just weird to me that it doesn't predict well for you because the google keyboard is not nearly as good for me, and, of course, Swiftkey built their reputation on their prediction engine.

But, like I said, try fleksy.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You did the step where it reads your text messages, twitter account, Gmail account, etc., to learn your typing patterns?

Whatever, it's just weird to me that it doesn't predict well for you because the google keyboard is not nearly as good for me, and, of course, Swiftkey built their reputation on their prediction engine.

But, like I said, try fleksy.

Fleksy is not gonna work. I can already tell in a short time it is not what I seek. The feel of it is terrible. So I am going to have to figure out SwiftKey OR try a complete wipe and reboot of my phone and see if that fixes Google keyboard.

And I can't answer you why SwiftKey doesn't work well for me other than Murphy hates me and wrote his Law specifically for me.

I will figure... Something out... Some how some way I will.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So I did a full blown wipe of the phone and have spent the past hour reorganizing it. I am going to see if that fixes anything with Google Keyboard. I am guessing if this doesn't work it is the app and if this does work it was something else that was somehow cleared up by the reboot of the phone.

Now, to reload my music back onto my phone... Today I will have to mark as hashtag grrrrr Mondays.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So I did a full blown wipe of the phone and have spent the past hour reorganizing it. I am going to see if that fixes anything with Google Keyboard. I am guessing if this doesn't work it is the app and if this does work it was something else that was somehow cleared up by the reboot of the phone.

Now, to reload my music back onto my phone... Today I will have to mark as hashtag grrrrr Mondays.

Keep us posted. I haven't had any issues at all since factory resetting but I may just be lucky.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Keep us posted. I haven't had any issues at all since factory resetting but I may just be lucky.

Well I will be traveling later this week and using my phone a lot to text and email so, if I don't have an answer in the next couple of days, I WILL have an answer by this time next week in the "one week isn't long enough for a good and solid test, but it's a start" review.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Knowing I had a long Facebook post to write to update some friends on travel plans and specifics as I visit my home area later this week (they wanted to know what the deal would be as it drew closer), I elected to do so on my phone. No lag issues whatsoever and I know I wrote a metric ton that would have sent SMS into MMS mode easily had it been a text.

I am writing this kinda-sorta long as well to give it another test, padding words on purpose, though it is not nearly be as long as my Facebook post. Point is, the lag is gone. I don't see each individual letter popping up and staying there and waiting to catch up on what I typed five seconds earlier.

Again, a longer testing period is needed but so far, so good. Let us think positive and let this be a trend, right?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Knowing I had a long Facebook post to write to update some friends on travel plans and specifics as I visit my home area later this week (they wanted to know what the deal would be as it drew closer), I elected to do so on my phone. No lag issues whatsoever and I know I wrote a metric ton that would have sent SMS into MMS mode easily had it been a text.

I am writing this kinda-sorta long as well to give it another test, padding words on purpose, though it is not nearly be as long as my Facebook post. Point is, the lag is gone. I don't see each individual letter popping up and staying there and waiting to catch up on what I typed five seconds earlier.

Again, a longer testing period is needed but so far, so good. Let us think positive and let this be a trend, right?

Glad to hear that it's working well [so far].

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I've had better luck with Swype's prediction engine and it also capitalizes i's for you.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
No issues as of yet. I have typed off a few long texts too. I think whatever it was -- maybe a file gone bad deep in the phone -- it was fixed with the wipe and fresh restart. All I know is I am happy. Others may enjoy other keyboards and that's great for them, but Google Keyboard works best for me and I am glad this issue seems resolved.

If I ever bump this thread up without a direct reply to someone else, there is trouble. Let us hope that never comes to pass.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay I bumped it up when I said I wouldn't, but I basically wanted to say that the factory reset fixed my issue. I have had too long of a litmus test without an incident. I have texted and emailed some long stuff out of necessity due to recent events and during lunch breaks at work and lag does not exist.

Something somehow somewhere was messing it up and I needed the fresh clean slate to fix it. I will never know the answer as to what it was, but it works and I haven't had any issues. That is all I care about.

It honestly is the first time I've done that between my two touch screen phones, the Maxx and Turbo. (I had physical keyboard phones for almost every phone before that.) The Maxx never had the issue. The Turbo did. But it is better to sit here and say it is fixed than to report the issue resurfaced.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay I bumped it up when I said I wouldn't, but I basically wanted to say that the factory reset fixed my issue. I have had too long of a litmus test without an incident. I have texted and emailed some long stuff out of necessity due to recent events and during lunch breaks at work and lag does not exist.

Something somehow somewhere was messing it up and I needed the fresh clean slate to fix it. I will never know the answer as to what it was, but it works and I haven't had any issues. That is all I care about.

It honestly is the first time I've done that between my two touch screen phones, the Maxx and Turbo. (I had physical keyboard phones for almost every phone before that.) The Maxx never had the issue. The Turbo did. But it is better to sit here and say it is fixed than to report the issue resurfaced.

Extremely glad to hear. I also have similar results and experience no Keyboard lag at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude