I have a quick question for you guys. It's not really Turbo specific, but I'm going on a cruise this weekend. I know that using airplane mode will keep me from sending or receiving phone calls, but what about texts? Will people still be able to text me, and if so, how can I stop that from happening, so I don't get any huge charges while I'm not in the United States?
    06-15-2015 03:00 PM
    I have a quick question for you guys. It's not really Turbo specific, but I'm going on a cruise this weekend. I know that using airplane mode will keep me from sending or receiving phone calls, but what about texts? Will people still be able to text me, and if so, how can I stop that from happening, so I don't get any huge charges while I'm not in the United States?
    You can keep in airplane mode of course. You could call Verizon and ask them to block texts for a time, but I know for a fact that will lead to a set problems getting it re setup. Check if Cruise has free WiFi also as a side note
    Grifter73 likes this.
    06-15-2015 03:16 PM
    Airplane mode will stop all transmissions (phone/email/text/weather alerts/etc.) from coming or going to your phone. If you turn on your wifi, that will disable airplane mode and you may be deluged with pending texts that were unable to deliver while you had airplane mode on. Not sure if that helps with how you're planning on using it, but there it is...
    You may want to contact your carrier to be sure that texts received over wifi will not be charged to your account.

*edited to remove wrong info
    Grifter73 likes this.
    06-15-2015 03:16 PM
    Airplane mode turns off all radios (though you can turn WiFi back on if you like) and text messages require the mobile radio so, no, you will not receive texts, nor can you send them.

To be on the safe side, settings / data usage and turn off Mobile data. (Though mobile roaming is usually disabled in settings / more... / mobile networks / Global data roaming access.) Also, while you are in settings / more... / mobile networks, turn Preferred network type to "LTE/CDMA" so the phone won't try to connect to a GSM network in case you turn airplane mode off.
    Grifter73 likes this.
    06-15-2015 03:17 PM
    If you turn on your wifi, that will disable airplane mode...
    No, this is untrue. Turning on airplane mode will turn off WiFi, but manually turning WiFi back on will not turn airplane mode off. (Try it now - you'll see.)

This was designed when airlines started offering planes with WiFi, so you could have the phone in airplane mode to prevent mobile data connection (and the battery drain) while you are flying but still connect to WiFi networks on the plane (or train or cruise ship.)
    lizardchest and Grifter73 like this.
    06-15-2015 03:20 PM
    No, this is untrue.
    You are correct. I only tested one way before my first post. (wifi on>then turning on airplane)
    Thanks for the clarification/correction!
    doogald likes this.
    06-15-2015 03:23 PM