I used my Droid Turbo a month ago to shoot some outdoor pictures and the camera worked great. Today, however I attempted to use the camera and the app froze and the phone rebooted. I uninstalled the built-in camera updates and reinstalled them and the result was the same - load the app and the phone reboots. I tried installing another camera app and the result was the same as the built-in camera app. Has anyone else experienced this problem and come up with a solution to make the camera work again? If so, please let me know
    06-29-2015 10:43 AM
    First thing, I would go into the settings-apps menu, find the camera app, and tap clear data/ clear cache. It won't delete your photos.

If that doesn't work, the good old factory reset probably will. And Verizon will make you do it before a warranty exchange anyway.

Posted via the Android Central App
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-29-2015 12:14 PM
    I would also try booting into Safe Mode, to see if a 3rd party app is interfering: Droid Turbo by Motorola | Verizon Wireless
    06-29-2015 12:28 PM
    I called Motorola after I cleared the cache twice, uninstalled and reinstalled the default camera app as well as downloading another camera app and they were stumped. In the end they said that since my phone was still under warranty I should get a replacement so I went to the Verizon store this afternoon. They had never seen anything like this either so they ordered me a replacement that should be here in two days.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-29-2015 04:22 PM
    I would also try booting into Safe Mode, to see if a 3rd party app is interfering: Droid Turbo by Motorola | Verizon Wireless
    OK. I will tell you that today, before receiving my new phone, I restarted my Turbo in Safe Mode which still left the camera app active since it is built-in and cannot be 100% removed. After entering into safe mode I tried the camera app and almost immediately upon launch it rebooted just as it did before. Upon reboot I went in and uninstalled all of the updates to he camera app so that it was pretty much like the phone when I got it. Again I restated the phone in Safe Mode and the phone rebooted just as it had before. Once I get my new phone and perform the factory reset on the old one, I'll try the camera again however I feel pretty confident that this is probably a hardware issue. I think that I'm just fortunate that my Turbo is not that old and still under warranty. Had my old Razr not shot craps on me when it did I might have selected an S6 as I'm getting real weary of Motorola devices going down hill. My wife has a Droid Razor herself and sadly it's starting to behave in the same manner as my old Razr did before it simply quit working. Sadly, we're in a world today where no mater how good a care you take with a device, they break for no apparent reason and you have to toss it and get a new one.
    07-01-2015 11:11 AM
    Yeah, that definitely sounds like something fundamentally wrong with the hardware. I'm glad you were able to get a replacement.
    07-01-2015 11:27 AM
    Well, I'm a bit stumped. I got my new phone yesterday and after setting the new one up and doing a factory reset on my old phone, the camera worked just fine on the old phone. I'm stumped not as to the cause as I assumed that Safe Mode would have taken anything like a bad photo or video in out of the picture. Since all of my photos and video's were backed up and restored this further increases the mystery. I'm keeping the warranty replacement as it took hours to get everything back the way it was on my old phone but if anyone has any further insight into what might have caused this let me know.
    07-02-2015 11:42 AM
    I had the same exactly problem. Had the Turbo since November, in April the phone restarted every time I launched the camera.

I am a tech person and tried everything I could, problem would repeat itself.

Took it to Verizon. They witnessed the problem and tested and tested. After 10min, they ordered me a replacement device.

My replacement Turbo works just fine. It was definitely some type of hardware issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    07-02-2015 04:06 PM
    Hi my camera isn't working for some reason and its making my Instagram And Vine camera not work either. Can you tell me what I should do to fix this?

07-02-2015 11:07 PM
    Hi my camera isn't working for some reason and its making my Instagram And Vine camera not work either. Can you tell me what I should do to fix this?

Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a Turbo like the rest of the folks in this thread? Have you already tried all of the suggestions here? Several people have already gotten replacements, so that might be what you have to do as well.
    07-03-2015 12:19 AM
    Just an FYI.... I had this question posted on another forum and someone on that forum told me that booting in safe mode does not prevent the phone from accessing storage. It was this persons belief that there was some corrupted photo, video or some other extraneous file (i.e. something that tells the camera what the next incremental file name should be) that became corrupted and each time you fired up the camera app it would attempt to read that file and when it couldn't the app simply choked and died. After thinking about this I believe this makes some sense as I tried to install another camera app and I had the same issue as with the standard, default camera app. It seems to me that if there was some corrupted file then it's possible that both apps were attempting to read that same common file and this is why it consistently choked. As the other person suggested it would have been nice if the OS wrote a diagnostic error to a error log to track down this bogus file but it doesn't so your stuck with attempting a factory reset to get the file cleared out for you. Hope this helps someone else that has this issue.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-03-2015 11:57 AM
    I had 2 problems. Snap Camera has a touch the screen to capture feature which won't work anymore. I sometimes use a few different cameras and couldn't use the moto camera while one of the other camera's were open.
    07-03-2015 12:06 PM
    FYI, I use my camera regularly and never had a problem. I took the LP update and immediately now my camera is doing exactly like yours was. If I get a picture on the screen it is only brief and then freezes and then 5 seconds or so later the phone reboots. Sometimes when I activate the camera I see only a black screen then the phone reboots. This started happening right after the update (camera did not work since update at all) so it seems unlikely for it to be a hardware issue to me.

Has anybody else experienced this? I really don't want to have to do a factory reset. Ugh. What a PITA that will be. Ugh again. I will try to offload all my pics and video and see if that fixes anything like mentioned above.
    07-13-2015 07:55 PM
    Ok, I tried the above with no luck.

I wiped the cache. I have deleted all pics and video from the DCIM\Camera folder. I deleted the DCIM folder and everything in it. That allowed me to at least bring up the camera and went through the little initial "this is how to work it" demo. However, as soon as I touched the screen to take a picture it locked up. Once when it did this it created a 0kb .met file, another time nothing was created. Now I'm back to when I open the camera it nearly immediately locks up then the phone reboots.

Do any of you guys know where any other camera type settings are stored that I can try to delete? Doing a factory reset on these damn things is nearly as much a pain as reloading an actual computer so I really don't want to mess with a factory reset if I don't have to.

Thanks!
    07-18-2015 12:03 PM
    I had a similar problem back on 4.4.4.
    Turning off HDR in the stock camera options fixed the problem for both the stock app as well as 3rd party apps.
    07-20-2015 09:38 PM
    I had a similar problem back on 4.4.4.
    Turning off HDR in the stock camera options fixed the problem for both the stock app as well as 3rd party apps.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I can't even get the camera to open anymore without it rebooting the phone. I called tech support and they had me do a few different things that didn't work. I just tried this latest update and it didn't change anything either. I downloaded Helium Backup and am going to try that to back up my app settings then do a factory reset... out of other options. Ugh.
    07-22-2015 01:46 AM
    My turbo developed the issue yesterday. Launching the stock camera brings up a black screen and after a few seconds I get the error message to restart camera. I've wiped the cache, started in safe mode, disabled the camera, enabled it again, uninstalled 3rd party camera apps, safe mode again, wipe again... and still the issue. I guess I'm left with factory reset as my next option.
    08-08-2015 09:41 PM
    UPDATE: Just did a factory reset. Camera still will not work. Loads, black screen, then error to restart camera.
    08-08-2015 10:04 PM
    This is bizarre but I see that I'm the second person who has had this happen.... Verizon shipped me a new Turbo and it works great... I was about to do another factory reset on the old Turbo with the broken camera, and suddenly it works again. WTH. I tried everything for days and days including factory reset and nothing.... now with the new phone activated and sim card out the camera works again.
    08-13-2015 02:55 PM
    What the hell... now 2 weeks after I get my 2nd Turbo it starts doing the same thing... just spent over an hour on the phone with Motorola this time... ended up doing a factory reset and still the camera won't load. I'll be replacing another phone with a camera that won't load.
    08-27-2015 05:58 PM
    Did you happen to check Google play store? I got two updates for the camera in the last day or so. Bug fixes and adds a barcode scanner. I have not had any camera problems but maybe these updates will help you out...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    08-27-2015 07:58 PM
    What the hell... now 2 weeks after I get my 2nd Turbo it starts doing the same thing... just spent over an hour on the phone with Motorola this time... ended up doing a factory reset and still the camera won't load. I'll be replacing another phone with a camera that won't load.
    It's been a long time since I posted my original problem report and so far, knock on wood, my camera has continued to function just fine. Like someone else that posted a reply to this thread, when they got a replacement Turbo and did a factory wipe of the phone the camera started working again. This, to me, clearly is indicating that there is something that's becoming corrupt on the phone at some point but like you I was never able to figure out what it was. My suggestion would be to wipe your phone (I feel your pain already) and see if this returns the camera to a normal state. If it does work, I would then avoid restoring any photos that might have been backed up to the phone. I would then, perhaps, reinstall all of your apps one at a time and afterward I would verify that the camera still works. If you get a camera failure after installing one of your apps then I would then try removing hat app and seeing if that restores the app to normal. If it does then you've found your problem child. If the camera still works after all of your apps have been restored then I'm guessing that the corruption is in one of the photos. I realize that this may take some time to sort all of this out but in the absence of a known problem and known fix you're pretty much in what I call "divide and conquer" mode to try and figure out just what is causing your issues. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    doogald likes this.
    09-01-2015 10:49 AM
    One question for John B7.......

How up to date was your Android OS and your Apps when this malfunction occurred? I posted this problem on the Motorola Forum today and this was a question that was raised there. They were speculating as to whether this issue is a bad driver or some sort of corruption that may have already been fixed.
    09-01-2015 03:11 PM
    "some other extraneous file (i.e. something that tells the camera what the next incremental file name should be)"

That would be the database that the media scanner builds from scratch every time you start or restart the phone, so if you deleted all media files, that wouldn't be the problem. Everything points to a hardware problem - except the fact that the phone started working after a reset after you got the replacement. I chalk it up to IPIO - or ghosts. (It's one of those things that mankind isn't supposed to know about.)

Seriously - if the replacement works, I'd forget about it. I've seen a lot weirder things in electronics.
    09-04-2015 10:45 PM