09-14-2015 06:25 PM
438 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    If you require a lightning fast shutter get an iphone. Moto doesn't have one. They do, however make phones w/ cameras that snap great pictures acceptable to most people. It is a phone. Stop whining.

Posted via the Android Central App
    People are allowed to be disappointed about the camera on their phone for which they paid/pay a lot of money. It's good that you're not, though.
    quantum tao likes this.
    07-04-2015 06:05 AM
    Help! Just updated to Lollipop 5.1. Updated everything. Massive battery drain. 1% in 5 minutes! In KitKat 4.4.4, my battery life lasts for more than 2 days! Any solutions?
    07-04-2015 06:26 AM
    Help! Just updated to Lollipop 5.1. Updated everything. Massive battery drain. 1% in 5 minutes! In KitKat 4.4.4, my battery life lasts for more than 2 days! Any solutions?
    Reboot your device and charge it back up to start fresh. See how it does. Also, within your battery settings, what seems to be the big hog? If it's the Android Services, I recommend a factory reset without having the device backup and restore automatically.

But 1% in 5 minutes isn't too much of a concern. Use it throughout the day and if it doesn't settle down report back. One or many of us will surely guide you through some steps if necessary.
    antonics likes this.
    07-04-2015 06:38 AM
    Meant to attach these in my original post. This is what my statistics look like.
    Attached Thumbnails DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update-1436010116326.jpg   DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update-1436010125447.jpg  
    07-04-2015 06:42 AM
    Thanks Eclipse2k. Rebooted and tried a failed external hard reset. Afterwards my Droid Turbo seems better. 1% drain per hour. Is that good?
    07-04-2015 07:23 AM
    Reboot your device and charge it back up to start fresh. See how it does. Also, within your battery settings, what seems to be the big hog? If it's the Android Services, I recommend a factory reset without having the device backup and restore automatically.

But 1% in 5 minutes too much of a concern. Use it throughout the day and if it doesn't settle down report back. One or many of us will surely guide you through some steps if necessary.
    Battery hog is cellular network signal. Started out red line and ends green.
    07-04-2015 07:25 AM
    Did you know do anything special like wipe cache etc? Or just upgrade.

Wiped cache, no factory reset though.
    07-04-2015 07:28 AM
    Battery hog is cellular network signal. Started out red line and ends green.
    What's your cellular signal in dBm?
    Settings > More > Cellular Networks > Network Type and Strength
    07-04-2015 07:35 AM
    remember the percentages in the battery stats have changed. They are no longer representing the same thing. Before they would show the % all0cated by each item (screen, cell signal, apps etc) out of a scale of 100%. The % now all add up to the amount the battery has gone down from 100%. For example, in Eclipse2k case:

Battery went down from 100%-8%. So

Screen isnt 23% usage like when 23% was shown on kitkat and previous versions. To find the actual % like shown before you need to

100-8=92%

23% / 92% = 25% screen usage.

I realize some people will say its pretty much the same number as shown!!!? BUT

THe closer you get to 0%, the more accurate the % shown for each item will be.

If you take my current battery stats:

im at 48% battery

google app - 12% is really 23% of usage
    google services 11% is really 23% or usage
    Cell standby 8% is really 17%

etc

One thing Ive noticed since lollipop without any usage changes is that when on kitkat screen, cell stanby and voice calls were always the top consumers. Now with lollipop its been stuff that use to be low down or not shown, like google app, google services, android OS. Wierd,
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    07-04-2015 07:38 AM
    remember the percentages in the battery stats have changed. They are no longer representing the same thing. Before they would show the % all0cated by each item (screen, cell signal, apps etc) out of a scale of 100%. The % now all add up to the amount the battery has gone down from 100%. For example, in Eclipse2k case:

Battery went down from 100%-8%. So

Screen isnt 23% usage like when 23% was shown on kitkat and previous versions. To find the actual % like shown before you need to

100-8=92%

23% / 92% = 25% screen usage.

I realize some people will say its pretty much the same number as shown!!!? BUT

THe closer you get to 0%, the more accurate the % shown for each item will be.

If you take my current battery stats:

im at 48% battery

google app - 12% is really 23% of usage
    google services 11% is really 23% or usage
    Cell standby 8% is really 17%

etc

One thing Ive noticed since lollipop without any usage changes is that when on kitkat screen, cell stanby and voice calls were always the top consumers. Now with lollipop its been stuff that use to be low down or not shown, like google app, google services, android OS. Wierd,
    I have not even looked deep enough into it to notice that. Good observation, although it makes me wonder if Google does this to confuse us. Why else would they change it?
    07-04-2015 07:45 AM
    Since the update only issue I'm having now is zooper clock widget does not update in the background. It does update after swiping to home screen. Not sure if that's a settings issue or I just need to delete and redo the widget.
    07-04-2015 08:04 AM
    well I tell you what! It makes my battery analysis much more difficult because the new battery stats dont show time on battery. So what I do is go to the up time and use that (I only restart my phone after every recharge so that number is correct). And then I have to do those simple calculations for each item now. Its also messed up my analysis because as i said screen, cell and voice calls used to be the top consumers and now its changed so my analysis may be messed up!
    Namrobo likes this.
    07-04-2015 08:35 AM
    well I tell you what! It makes my battery analysis much more difficult because the new battery stats dont show time on battery. So what I do is go to the up time and use that (I only restart my phone after every recharge so that number is correct). And then I have to do those simple calculations for each item now. Its also messed up my analysis because as i said screen, cell and voice calls used to be the top consumers and now its changed so my analysis may be messed up!
    Yes, that drives me just a bit crazy. Not sure why the total on battery time was removed. I guess I could download GSAM Battery Monitor like I did prior to Lollipop but honestly I don't care enough.

Oh well, I know the Turbo will last the whole day so I'll live.
    88horizon5speed likes this.
    07-04-2015 08:39 AM
    Since the update only issue I'm having now is zooper clock widget does not update in the background. It does update after swiping to home screen. Not sure if that's a settings issue or I just need to delete and redo the widget.
    This was always the case for me. Sometimes I would catch it change when the screen opened and sometimes it appeared to update on the background. I never really knew if it was ever updating in the background or if I was just missing it happen when I turned on the screen some of the time.
    07-04-2015 09:05 AM
    so i tried manual camera just now and it doesnt allow full manual controls, but it is in full auto mode and works really well. It takes really quick photos for those of you worried about slow "shutter" speed

looks like only nexus 5 and 6 have the full RAW and camera2 API so far..
    07-04-2015 09:07 AM
    Idle battery drain is amazing so far after day 3. 5 hours off the charger and only lost 2%. That seems to be the biggest improvement with the battery life so far.
    07-04-2015 09:08 AM
    Dude, read the forums; plenty of people find the camera completely unacceptable! I think it's OK, but not having OIS is ridiculous.
    Read any forum. Any. Plenty of people find their phone's camera completely unacceptable. Reality is that only one or two find the Turbo "completely unacceptable" in this forum.

Now back to the OP...
    07-04-2015 10:03 AM
    Read any forum. Any. Plenty of people find their phone's camera completely unacceptable.
    Makes you wonder why a Kodak or Vivitar wouldn't team up with a Motorola to bundle together. Fact remains there's plenty of post processing tools to make a picture better and folks tend to first commit to a phone based on screen and build quality rather than camera which usually only becomes an issue after you've bought the thing home for a few weeks.

07-04-2015 10:29 AM
    Here's a new one no one has mentioned yet. The stock Contacts app has changed. In KK, you had 3 choices at the top, Favorites, All, and Groups. For some reason, Google in their infinite wisdom decided that Groups was no longer necessary in LP. I had a bunch of Groups so I could find what I need quickly. Apparently Google wants everyone to use the search bar to find what they need. That makes a lot of sense, type out the name to get what you want, press once to select groups, then select the group, and then scroll to find what you need. In KK, it made one handed use much easier.

I have found a solution, since this is a global Lollipop issue and not isolated to the Turbo, so I doubt there's a fix coming anytime soon. An app called Contact Groups works OK, except it only shows the Groups, not Favorites or All. Favorites are shown in the dialer, so it's kind of a band aid solution, but whatever. The free app is only a trial that lasts for 72 hours, but costs $.99 for full use. I figured since this is a Lollipop issue, and will most likely be an Android M issue as well, it was worth it.

I wish Google would quit messing up a good thing simply for the sake of change. First Priority, now Contacts. Maybe they need to Google the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    KPMcClave likes this.
    07-04-2015 12:44 PM
    Read any forum. Any. Plenty of people find their phone's camera completely unacceptable. Reality is that only one or two find the Turbo "completely unacceptable" in this forum.

Now back to the OP...
    Well, that's the problem with absolutes. They'll always make a fool of you.

GeodudeFFP is the first I've seen who thinks the Droid Turbo's camera is "completely unacceptable." Not the great unwashed masses, nor "only one or two" in this forum.

I know that black and white is easier to process than when you add in shades of grey and some colors, but the Turbo's camera is really good at some things and not very good at others. It's the single reason I have a G4 now (and I miss a lot of stuff on the Turbo for sure...even the Lollipop update is more to my liking than the G4's take on it).

Why is it so hard to understand that experiences differ, and that means opinions are not all the same? With the lengths to which you've gone defending this camera, PowrDroid, I'd think you invented the thing or something.
    07-04-2015 01:14 PM
    Well, that's the problem with absolutes. They'll always make a fool of you.

GeodudeFFP is the first I've seen who thinks the Droid Turbo's camera is "completely unacceptable." Not the great unwashed masses, nor "only one or two" in this forum.

I know that black and white is easier to process than when you add in shades of grey and some colors, but the Turbo's camera is really good at some things and not very good at others. It's the single reason I have a G4 now (and I miss a lot of stuff on the Turbo for sure...even the Lollipop update is more to my liking than the G4's take on it).

Why is it so hard to understand that experiences differ, and that means opinions are not all the same? With the lengths to which you've gone defending this camera, PowrDroid, I'd think you invented the thing or something.
    Right on! We all have different requirements with respect to the camera (i.e., types of shots), although I do find it fine for SOME types of shots.

But just a clarification: I don't find it "completely" unacceptable, just unacceptable for certain types of shots. Sounds like the update may (?) have improved things (maybe a wee bit anyway?).

Funny how my LG G2 camera is a much better "overall" camera...if I could put it in my XT1225, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

(I still maintain that any flagship-level phone's camera should have OIS these days.)

Posted via the Android Central App on XT1225
    07-04-2015 04:22 PM
    Before doing a fdr, I assume you have all apps updated to current versions (inc. web services)?

07-04-2015 04:37 PM
    What's your cellular signal in dBm?
    Settings > More > Cellular Networks > Network Type and Strength
    4G= -107dBm
    07-04-2015 08:05 PM
    When did you update? It always takes a few days for battery life to settle in. My first charge after updating didn't get me through a whole day, but now my battery life is a little better than it was with kit kat. It just took a few days to get there.
    07-04-2015 08:38 PM
    When did you update? It always takes a few days for battery life to settle in. My first charge after updating didn't get me through a whole day, but now my battery life is a little better than it was with kit kat. It just took a few days to get there.
    Weirdly enough with this particular update my battery performance seemed to improve immediately.

Usually it does seem to take a few days to settle in.
    07-04-2015 09:00 PM
438 ... 89101112 ...