DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I had that problem right after I got my LG G4 and deactivated bloat. If you haven't rebooted since you disabled Hangouts, go in to your Disabled Apps and Force Stop. That fixed the Hangouts crash for me. Or, just rebooting should do it I imagine.

If you have already rebooted since disabling, then I'm at a loss.

Posted via the Android Central App

I did a force stop, enable/disable, and cache clear.

Nothing... yet... time will tell, but so far, so good. Going to allow more time. It was a regular thing, though, and I haven't seen it yet today. But I didn't use my phone as much today, either. So again, need more time. But pretty much what you said is what someone else suggested and it may work.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, I ended up updating since the majority of people's updates came off without a hitch, (sorry Cajun). I don't recall seeing this yet, so I thought I'd mention it here. I don't know if this is something in Lollipop or if LP is letting apps have more control, but I'm seeing the battery percentage again in the status bar icon. I had used the app Percent Enabler before, but you had to wait until it got around 50-60% to see anything (white digits on a white background). Currently am at 75% and the digits are black on the white background. Will see if this changes when it gets closer to halfway or not.

Anyways, just thought that was nice because it's one of the things I really hated that they did to the Droid Maxx in one of the later KK updates (changing the battery icon color so you could see the battery percentage).

It's the way the app works with LP vs KK. In KK, the text is always white. In LP, it's black until like 25 or 30%, then turns white.

I couldn't even install that app on my Turbo with 4.4. It worked on my Maxx with 4.4.4. Was glad to see it works on my Turbo with 5.1.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why but twice so far when I disconnect my Bluetooth headset all of my notifications become lower. Yet they're set as high as they go but are way lower sounding. A reboot solves this. Both times were with Motorola S305 and SiriusXM.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's the way the app works with LP vs KK. In KK, the text is always white. In LP, it's black until like 25 or 30%, then turns white.

I couldn't even install that app on my Turbo with 4.4. It worked on my Maxx with 4.4.4. Was glad to see it works on my Turbo with 5.1.

Odd I had no problem installing it on my Turbo, it was one of the first apps I installed.

antonics

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Newbie here. Was about to return my new Droid turbo weeks ago as battery draining very fast out of the box. After contacting Motorola tech support, the guy guided me to a different way to factory reset. I went to like a DOS screen and navigated using volume and power buttons. Reset was ok, Battery lasts two days with light usage.

Am not sure I want to update to Lollipop 5.1 for fear that battery life may be affected again. Has anybody experienced huge battery drain in Lollipop update? If so, how was it resolved, if ever. Thanks.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Newbie here. Was about to return my new Droid turbo weeks ago as battery draining very fast out of the box. After contacting Motorola tech support, the guy guided me to a different way to factory reset. I went to like a DOS screen and navigated using volume and power buttons. Reset was ok, Battery lasts two days with light usage.

Am not sure I want to update to Lollipop 5.1 for fear that battery life may be affected again. Has anybody experienced huge battery drain in Lollipop update? If so, how was it resolved, if ever. Thanks.

Nope, all good here.

I also believe the rep took you to hBoot for the reset. Phone off, hold power down and then press power, right?

Go for Lollipop. It's great. I was one of the people saying don't release it til December if it needs time to bake. Motorola did an excellent job minus a few quirks but nothing major.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Some day three findings:

1 - Anyone use the Motorola Assist Sleeping setting?

One thing I've noticed is the typical crescent moon icon on the far left of notifications bar is now accompanied by a star icon to the immediate left of the 4G LTE icon. Nothing serious just odd.

2 - The active apps screen swipes away slowly sometimes, on my N9 its always fluid however I've noticed a few stutter swipes on the Turbo, again nothing too serious.

3 - No multiuser support, was poking around the settings screen comparing to my N9 to find what Motorola or vzw specific settings and found that was missing. Not a big deal for me nor for a phone IMHO but just figured I'd mention it.

4 - Fenix twitter app has been a battery hog, using 20-30% battery, more than display, it seems to be settling after changing the update frequency however I don't have this issue with 5.1.1 on the N9

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
When swiping away recent apps does anyone else get a glitchy, laggy experience? It is the only thing about this update I don't care for but everything else is spot on.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Some day three findings:

One thing I've noticed is the typical crescent moon icon on the far left of notifications bar is now accompanied by a star icon to the immediate left of the 4G LTE icon. Nothing serious just odd.

2 - The active apps screen swipes away slowly sometimes, on my N9 its always fluid however I've noticed a few stutter swipes on the Turbo, again nothing too serious.

3 - No multiuser support, was poking around the settings screen comparing to my N9 to find what Motorola or vzw specific settings and found that was missing. Not a big deal for me nor for a phone IMHO but just figured I'd mention it.

4 - Fenix twitter app has been a battery hog, using 20-30% battery, more than display, it seems to be settling after changing the update frequency however I don't have this issue with 5.1.1 on the N9

The star indicates you're in Priority mode (only interruptions you set up as 'priority' are allowed to vibrate or make noise). Moto Assist is basically toggling priority mode for you now.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Some day three findings:

The star is there to indicate that the mode you're in will be interrupted by any calls from starred contacts(the same as priority mode) so if you're sleeping and a starred contact calls, the phone will ring.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Anyone having issues with Moto Display not working as it should? Never had an issue before, but now at times it does not acknowledge my hand.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
When swiping away recent apps does anyone else get a glitchy, laggy experience? It is the only thing about this update I don't care for but everything else is spot on.

Yup I've noticed that too ... It seems independent of number of apps running, and random.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having issues with Moto Display not working as it should? Never had an issue before, but now at times it does not acknowledge my hand.

Yup, it seems a little less sensitive, which is a good thing as I thought it woke a little too easily before, but now its gone the other way.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yup I've noticed that too ... It seems independent of number of apps running, and random.

Some anecdotal evidence ... If I swipe left I don't see a stutter but if I swipe right I do sometimes. I'll need to play with it a bit to make sure its not just coincidence but FYI.

I'm also using Google Now Home launcher, not sure if you're using moto home.

psugrad97

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone now how to turn of the lock screen notifications. I like using the koto display and when I try to go to a notification through that, it brings up the lock screen. Annoying. It's redundant.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Fenix seems to have a battery issue with Lollipop, especially if you are streaming. It's a known issue, probably an issue with Lollipop apis that the dev cannot fix. If you're streaming, try changing to polling to see if that's better.

RJ_Butler

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
That is screen burn in that can happen on amoled displays. I had a severe case of it on an old Galaxy S3 that I wasn't able to remedy. It happens when you have the screen on for long periods in the same orientation. On my S3, I have a bright strip down the right side of the display from it being in landscape mode turned 90° to the left. Best way I have seen to prevent it is to mix it up and rotate 90° the opposite way from how you normally do. There are apps that will flash different colors on the screen to try and bring it out of it, but if it's too far along, there's probably no fix.

Thanks, I'll try one of those apps tonight while I sleep

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Did anybody feel like their phone was stuttering a bit and seemed a little buggy in the last few weeks before the update?

For me there were a few things:

1) my keyboard (use swiftkey) began to really lag. It started after an update to the app, so that's what I originally attributed it to, but after a few weeks, I started to reconsider that conclusion based on other issues...

2) screen transition animation was stuttery; not all the time but often when I first turned on the screen. Opening apps remained zipping along, but overall the navigation experience was affected by what appeared to be some issues swiping from screen to screen.

3) various apps that I hadn't even opened and I didn't even think were running, would force close out of nowhere, similar to the hangouts glitch that a few people mentioned. Not a huge deal, but seemed a little glitchy and weird.

4) my corporate email randomly got completely deleted and I had to set it up all over again. I thought it was just me, so I really didn't know what to make of it, but when I found out a friend of mine with a Turbo experienced the same exact thing, I thought it might have to do with some preliminary steps Moto was taking to test lollipop in the background. I'm partially basing this on all the hub bub surrounding the update that began in early June, so obviously no true empirical evidence.

5) battery seemed to fall off a little. Not terrible, but worse than it was. I generally check GSAM, and my stats legitimately began to decrease in the last month or so. Also I was getting less screen time and my percentage was lower than it had been at the end of the day most of the time. And my usage habits really hadn't changed at all.

And to my point, anybody who has been experiencing anything like this, or any of the above symptoms and is reluctant to update to lollipop for any reason; from my first 3 days on it, I can say without a doubt, all of them have been alleviated. Battery needs more days to know for sure, but it seems improved, and everything else is completely gone.

I should add that I did not factory reset or clear the partition cache. This phone is moving smoother than ever, and I really do not have 1 gripe about the update.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007