DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Idle battery drain is amazing so far after day 3. 5 hours off the charger and only lost 2%. That seems to be the biggest improvement with the battery life so far.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Dude, read the forums; plenty of people find the camera completely unacceptable! I think it's OK, but not having OIS is ridiculous.

Read any forum. Any. Plenty of people find their phone's camera completely unacceptable. Reality is that only one or two find the Turbo "completely unacceptable" in this forum.

Now back to the OP...

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

Read any forum. Any. Plenty of people find their phone's camera completely unacceptable.

Makes you wonder why a Kodak or Vivitar wouldn't team up with a Motorola to bundle together. Fact remains there's plenty of post processing tools to make a picture better and folks tend to first commit to a phone based on screen and build quality rather than camera which usually only becomes an issue after you've bought the thing home for a few weeks.

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Here's a new one no one has mentioned yet. The stock Contacts app has changed. In KK, you had 3 choices at the top, Favorites, All, and Groups. For some reason, Google in their infinite wisdom decided that Groups was no longer necessary in LP. I had a bunch of Groups so I could find what I need quickly. Apparently Google wants everyone to use the search bar to find what they need. That makes a lot of sense, type out the name to get what you want, press once to select groups, then select the group, and then scroll to find what you need. In KK, it made one handed use much easier.

I have found a solution, since this is a global Lollipop issue and not isolated to the Turbo, so I doubt there's a fix coming anytime soon. An app called Contact Groups works OK, except it only shows the Groups, not Favorites or All. Favorites are shown in the dialer, so it's kind of a band aid solution, but whatever. The free app is only a trial that lasts for 72 hours, but costs $.99 for full use. I figured since this is a Lollipop issue, and will most likely be an Android M issue as well, it was worth it.

I wish Google would quit messing up a good thing simply for the sake of change. First Priority, now Contacts. Maybe they need to Google the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Read any forum. Any. Plenty of people find their phone's camera completely unacceptable. Reality is that only one or two find the Turbo "completely unacceptable" in this forum.

Now back to the OP...

Well, that's the problem with absolutes. They'll always make a fool of you.

GeodudeFFP is the first I've seen who thinks the Droid Turbo's camera is "completely unacceptable." Not the great unwashed masses, nor "only one or two" in this forum.

I know that black and white is easier to process than when you add in shades of grey and some colors, but the Turbo's camera is really good at some things and not very good at others. It's the single reason I have a G4 now (and I miss a lot of stuff on the Turbo for sure...even the Lollipop update is more to my liking than the G4's take on it).

Why is it so hard to understand that experiences differ, and that means opinions are not all the same? With the lengths to which you've gone defending this camera, PowrDroid, I'd think you invented the thing or something.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, that's the problem with absolutes. They'll always make a fool of you.

GeodudeFFP is the first I've seen who thinks the Droid Turbo's camera is "completely unacceptable." Not the great unwashed masses, nor "only one or two" in this forum.

I know that black and white is easier to process than when you add in shades of grey and some colors, but the Turbo's camera is really good at some things and not very good at others. It's the single reason I have a G4 now (and I miss a lot of stuff on the Turbo for sure...even the Lollipop update is more to my liking than the G4's take on it).

Why is it so hard to understand that experiences differ, and that means opinions are not all the same? With the lengths to which you've gone defending this camera, PowrDroid, I'd think you invented the thing or something.

Right on! We all have different requirements with respect to the camera (i.e., types of shots), although I do find it fine for SOME types of shots.

But just a clarification: I don't find it "completely" unacceptable, just unacceptable for certain types of shots. Sounds like the update may (?) have improved things (maybe a wee bit anyway?).

Funny how my LG G2 camera is a much better "overall" camera...if I could put it in my XT1225, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

(I still maintain that any flagship-level phone's camera should have OIS these days.)

Posted via the Android Central App on XT1225

Last edited:

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site

Help! Just updated to Lollipop 5.1. Updated everything. Massive battery drain. 1% in 5 minutes! In KitKat 4.4.4, my battery life lasts for more than 2 days! Any solutions?

Before doing a fdr, I assume you have all apps updated to current versions (inc. web services)?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Help! Just updated to Lollipop 5.1. Updated everything. Massive battery drain. 1% in 5 minutes! In KitKat 4.4.4, my battery life lasts for more than 2 days! Any solutions?

When did you update? It always takes a few days for battery life to settle in. My first charge after updating didn't get me through a whole day, but now my battery life is a little better than it was with kit kat. It just took a few days to get there.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

When did you update? It always takes a few days for battery life to settle in. My first charge after updating didn't get me through a whole day, but now my battery life is a little better than it was with kit kat. It just took a few days to get there.

Weirdly enough with this particular update my battery performance seemed to improve immediately.

Usually it does seem to take a few days to settle in.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Weirdly enough with this particular update my battery performance seemed to improve immediately.

Usually it does seem to take a few days to settle in.

Same here. I charged it up fully while downloading it and then started the update. Shortly after the update Google Play Services came up wanting an update, so I did that. I explored the new features for about a half hour, then did a wipe of the cache partition (not knowing that you can't start that and leave it unattended or it'll leave the screen on waiting for you to tell it to reboot). When I got back to it it was at 17% remaining (was at like 75% remaining before the partition wipe and left it like that for around 5 hours) so not too bad. I charged it up and have been using it like I usually do since then.

Honestly this has been the least problematic update I've ever had. Usually the Google Play Services update doesn't show for an hour or two, or there's some other issue during the update, although I've never had anything serious problems or a bricked device, usually they're just annoyances. So I'm glad they took their time with this one.

Namrobo

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
So overall is it safe to say this update was worth the wait?
Virtually problem free, and better performance/benchmark seems to already be the consensus.

Also since nobody mentioned it, accessing recovery commands has changed. Instead of Vol up key for 15secs then power, its now Power for like only a couple seconds then Vol up & release. Just like the MotoX!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Virtually problem free, and better performance/benchmark seems to already be the consensus.

Also since nobody mentioned it, accessing recovery commands has changed. Instead of Vol up key for 15secs then power, its now Power for like only a couple seconds then Vol up & release. Just like the MotoX!

I'd say the update was a success. So far Google Keyboard isn't lagging for me like it did after a recent update on KitKat. OS is generally running smoother and I think battery has improved just a bit.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I know of at least 2 people who had their phones bricked when doing the update, but considering they are the only ones so far, I'd say ift was a success. As I've stated earlier, most of my issues have to do with the direction Google is taking Android. I hate when a company takes something people like and get rid of it for no good reason. I get even angrier when TV networks cancel good shows (I'm still miffed Constantine got axed).

But yes, I'd say the update was a success.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So what exactly is it that's so great about Lollipop again?

Since installing Lollipop I only see negative or annoying changes on my phone. Maybe my battery life is a little better? I'll need a little more data before I declare that, but maybe it is a little bit. But other than that I see no positive changes.

I use Nova Launcher so I don't really notice many appearance changes.

The phone doesn't seem noticeably faster to me.

They got rid of the ticker in the status bar that would tell you who was texting you or what your email was. How about giving the user the option of whether we want it or not. That way if the phone was on and sitting next to me it helped me know if I needed to respond to that text or email now. If not I'd let it sit. Now I have to physically reach over and check the phone to see who is sending me the message and what it is.

The lock screen is more annoying with the way the notifications show up and how you can swipe to get into them. I can't put a finger on how its different, but it just doesn't seem to work as well. I think it seems that I get an audible notification and then its a few seconds before the icon shows up. They also defaulted to the popups on the lock screen, but thankfully I found a way to stop those.

And speaking of audible - is it just me or are the notification volumes lower? I had to turn my phone up to full volume today just to get what used to be the medium volume notifications.

You can't silence the phone with the volume rocker any more. Instead you have to do more steps via the pull down menu. Why add more steps to something that worked well?

I'm not really sure the new notification pull down menu is much better.

I don't like the new rotating style open apps menu. First, they need a button to "close all" and second, the next app moves down much slower after I swipe one away so when I want to close them all one by one it takes longer. I think they were also easier to see in flat instead of overlying each other.

Will they ever add an option to show the battery % instead of just the icon so I don't have to get a 3rd party app? This may be a Motorola issue as I think the LG G's do it?

The 2 shakes to turn on the flashlight is somewhat nifty I suppose at least, although not sure how much I'll use it since I carry a flashlight everywhere I go.

Other than perhaps the improved battery life I'd rather go back to Kitkat. I'm going to stop pining for upgrades other than one to M that will hopefully fix the things they broke with Lollipop. Just my two cents...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: So what exactly is it that's so great about Lollipop again?

I love Lollipop, no complaints except what I suspect is a Bluetooth issue. Sometimes when I listen to music over Bluetooth, and possibly calls but not sure, my notification volumes become as low as the medium setting. Is this the issue you're having? A reboot will solve the glitch because otherwise I feel like the sounds are just as loud.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Also, yes, there is a way to enable a battery number but it requires an application that you can uninstall afterwards. It basically changes a setting in Android that's available underneath. It's made by an xda developer and can be reverted back. The only issue is the number is rather small :(

So an app is needed but it doesn't actually do anything except enable a feature already there. I leave it on even though it's tiny. In KK it was white text so you wouldn't see it unless below 50% or so. It changes with LP.

Attachments

• 1436086305898.jpg
    1436086305898.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 109
  • 1436086326076.jpg
    1436086326076.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 110

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

There are some things i like and some i dont. But the great thing about lollipop is that its here now and people can stop complaining they dont have it.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site

Also, yes, there is a way to enable a battery number but it requires an application that you can uninstall afterwards. It basically changes a setting in Android that's available underneath. It's made by an xda developer and can be reverted back. The only issue is the number is rather small :(

So an app is needed but it doesn't actually do anything except enable a feature already there. I leave it on even though it's tiny. In KK it was white text so you wouldn't see it unless below 50% or so. It changes with LP.

Check out "Battery Overlay Percent" app...may give you what you're looking for (not perfect, but not bad, and highly configurable).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams