DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: So what exactly is it that's so great about Lollipop again?

I don't like the new rotating style open apps menu. First, they need a button to "close all" and second, the next app moves down much slower after I swipe one away so when I want to close them all one by one it takes longer. I think they were also easier to see in flat instead of overlying each other.

There was no button to close all in KitKat, so you're not missing anything there. You can also close apps by hitting the small X to the right of the card; that should be faster.

But you shouldn't close all tasks all that much in android anyway - that's why it's not there. Almost every app goes into a deep sleep when it's not active. It's a best practice for both android and ios to not nuke all background apps at once because in general it costs more battery than it saves.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Should I be concerned that my Turbo has not yet informed me that I have an update available? I'm in no hurry for 5.1, but I would have thought that by now, I'd wake up one morning and see it prompting me to perform the download/install.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Should I be concerned that my Turbo has not yet informed me that I have an update available? I'm in no hurry for 5.1, but I would have thought that by now, I'd wake up one morning and see it prompting me to perform the download/install.

I've always heard that rollout can take up to 2 weeks to get to everyone. Have you tried checking for a software update manually?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Qi charging with my turbo before 5.1 and I had problems. Battery would drop from 100 to about zip so I went back to the wired charger. Anybody know if 5.1 fixed this problem?

Never had this problem with any wireless charging. Wired or wireless charging should result in the exact same charge. Perhaps something is wrong with your phone or charger.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

You can always force it to check. Go to Settings | System | System Update. Select Check for update.

Namrobo

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site

You may want to enable it in notifications

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

As long as we're complaining, I don't like the new look of the screen when in-call. The background is white, (no longer black) the controls take up more than the top third of the screen, the contact's image is reduced and on the bottom of the screen with the red phone icon overlaid on the persons image. Now all of my contacts photos have the red "hang up the phone" icon plastered on their chin.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Finally updated yesterday evening. Here's my breakdown of the general 'dislikes' I've read about, and my own positive/negative/neutral observations of L:

- The white Google bar...I prefer the old, grayed bar. But, a bigger annoyance is removing the bar and having unusable blank space above each screen. Already getting used to the white bar.
- Volume controls...slightly more annoying than before, but nothing terrible. Wish they would have kept the sound profiles though, for setting time-specific notification rules. Yes, some 'replacement' options are there, but more convoluted process to enact them.
- Flashlight chop...so inconsistent. It usually takes 3-4 tries to get it to work. Glad they did add the native flashlight option though.
- Battery life seems improved, at least initially. Haven't done a cache clear yet, but since upgrade have only used 44% over 15 hours, and that's with messing with the phone a lot (granted, 8 hours while I was sleeping too, but only lost about 3% overnight, which is great).
- Speed...seems to be the same. Not noticing much difference.
- Used to use the power bar to control WiFi, BT, brightness, and GPS. Would rather they not get rid of it, but easy enough to use drag menu I guess. Only annoyance is the quick screen brightness setting adjustment now not an option.
- New L themes/colors...eh. Like most, I would prefer an option between white/dark, but don't mind the white that much.
- All apps seem to be working well so far. No reportable issues there.
- Camera...maybe a bit faster, but hard to tell. May not be any change from the last camera update.
- Recent apps panes...I like the flipbook style. I did switch Chrome back to the old tabs, but otherwise I like it. I did notice an extended delay from opening recent apps to the 'X' showing in each window, sometimes 2 seconds all the way up to 5 seconds.
- Miss the notification bar ticker. The bubbles are much more obtrusive and annoying. May get used to them, but not a favorite update at this point.
- No true bugs on my end otherwise.
- And the final, BIGGEST positive: Not having to hear board members B&M about the Lollipop update anymore. Though, the shift to those same people complaining about the update has already started. :)

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I love Lollipop, no complaints except what I suspect is a Bluetooth issue. Sometimes when I listen to music over Bluetooth, and possibly calls but not sure, my notification volumes become as low as the medium setting. Is this the issue you're having? A reboot will solve the glitch because otherwise I feel like the sounds are just as loud.

I just rebooted. I'll see how it goes. I missed a bunch of notifications last night at work because it was so quiet. Ended up turning it up to full volume just to get it back to medium. I did listen to bluetooth on the way to work. I'll try it again tonight and reboot there if necessary to see if it fixes it.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Also, yes, there is a way to enable a battery number but it requires an application that you can uninstall afterwards. It basically changes a setting in Android that's available underneath. It's made by an xda developer and can be reverted back. The only issue is the number is rather small :(

So an app is needed but it doesn't actually do anything except enable a feature already there. I leave it on even though it's tiny. In KK it was white text so you wouldn't see it unless below 50% or so. It changes with LP.

Thanks. You're right - that is pretty darn small. I guess I'll stick my app that overlies a large number over the battery. It seems that there should be an option to either display the icon or just a straight number.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

There are some things i like and some i dont. But the great thing about lollipop is that its here now and people can stop complaining they dont have it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes. That's something. Now they can start complaining about M.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

There was no button to close all in KitKat, so you're not missing anything there. You can also close apps by hitting the small X to the right of the card; that should be faster.
Yes, I know it wasn't there before. Its just something I wish was there. I thought the LG G2 that I briefly owned had it and it was nice.

But you shouldn't close all tasks all that much in android anyway - that's why it's not there. Almost every app goes into a deep sleep when it's not active. It's a best practice for both android and ios to not nuke all background apps at once because in general it costs more battery than it saves.

Part of it is probably my own neurosis of just wanting them closed. I bet my parent's phones each have 50 apps open. My mom is at least getting better about cleaning notifications out of her status bar. There some of the apps that use constant or frequent GPS that will eat away at my battery if I leave them open. I still found the way they were lined up in KitKat easier to move between them. This new way is certainly fancier, but I think not as easy to use.

How does closing gmail. FB, gallery and camera all at once kill the battery?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Finally updated yesterday evening. Here's my breakdown of the general 'dislikes' I've read about, and my own positive/negative/neutral observations of L:

- The white Google bar...I prefer the old, grayed bar. But, a bigger annoyance is removing the bar and having unusable blank space above each screen. Already getting used to the white bar.
- Volume controls...slightly more annoying than before, but nothing terrible. Wish they would have kept the sound profiles though, for setting time-specific notification rules. Yes, some 'replacement' options are there, but more convoluted process to enact them.
- Flashlight chop...so inconsistent. It usually takes 3-4 tries to get it to work. Glad they did add the native flashlight option though.
- Battery life seems improved, at least initially. Haven't done a cache clear yet, but since upgrade have only used 44% over 15 hours, and that's with messing with the phone a lot (granted, 8 hours while I was sleeping too, but only lost about 3% overnight, which is great).
- Speed...seems to be the same. Not noticing much difference.
- Used to use the power bar to control WiFi, BT, brightness, and GPS. Would rather they not get rid of it, but easy enough to use drag menu I guess. Only annoyance is the quick screen brightness setting adjustment now not an option.
- New L themes/colors...eh. Like most, I would prefer an option between white/dark, but don't mind the white that much.
- All apps seem to be working well so far. No reportable issues there.
- Camera...maybe a bit faster, but hard to tell. May not be any change from the last camera update.
- Recent apps panes...I like the flipbook style. I did switch Chrome back to the old tabs, but otherwise I like it. I did notice an extended delay from opening recent apps to the 'X' showing in each window, sometimes 2 seconds all the way up to 5 seconds.
- Miss the notification bar ticker. The bubbles are much more obtrusive and annoying. May get used to them, but not a favorite update at this point.
- No true bugs on my end otherwise.
- And the final, BIGGEST positive: Not having to hear board members B&M about the Lollipop update anymore. Though, the shift to those same people complaining about the update has already started. :)

-If you use a different launcher like Nova you can get right of the search bar AND use your new found free space.
-Removing the ticker is annoying. Give us the option of whether we want to use it or not. I don't like the pop ups and quickly disabled them. The ticker was much less intrusive and offered a little more privacy if someone is looking at your phone for what that's worth.
-I miss the power toggles to. They were fast and easy both for a quick glance as what was active and for enabling/disabling them. Again, leave us the option to use them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae