DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

Sean Cogan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what exactly is it that's so great about Lollipop again?

There was no button to close all in KitKat, so you're not missing anything there. You can also close apps by hitting the small X to the right of the card; that should be faster.

You can also swipe right to close apps and remove recent screens.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site

Power Toggles can also put a battery icon in the Notification Bar, and it can give you a set of switches that can control functions easily. I've used it for years.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Power Toggles can also put a battery icon in the Notification Bar, and it can give you a set of switches that can control functions easily. I've used it for years.

I think they disabled them in Lollipop though didn't they? I've also been using them for years, but they now don't work.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site

I'm using Power Toggles in Lollipop right now. The battery icon is right there at the top.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I'm using Power Toggles in Lollipop right now. The battery icon is right there at the top.

Ah, got it. Thanks! Is there a way to remove some of the toggles from the widget? I don't need the flashlight toggle there for instance.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I did a force stop, enable/disable, and cache clear.

Nothing... yet... time will tell, but so far, so good. Going to allow more time. It was a regular thing, though, and I haven't seen it yet today. But I didn't use my phone as much today, either. So again, need more time. But pretty much what you said is what someone else suggested and it may work.

Since Lollipop I've been getting the unfortunate message that Hangouts has stopped. Which is unfortunate. Which I want to stop.

Has this fix worked for you?

Another possible "fix" is to enable the Hangouts app but don't use it.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'll wait a bit more to see if the phone notifies me on its own. Where do I turn on the notifications that one user suggested?

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

danielcee3

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
For some reason every time I turn my phone off and back on it goes to recovery menu and have to start from there. Also the only way to do a factory reset for me was to use the recovery menu kept on freezing when trying a factory reset in the settings. Anyone seeing these?

Posted via the Android Central App

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I was hesitant about the update at first, solely because KK had been running insanely smooth for me and I don't generally like to immediately jump into new technology without a decent history of feedback about it (I still cringe when I think about how I ended up with the first version of Windows 8 after the unfortunate death of my XP laptop...8 was a disaster, I downgraded back to 7). However, my phone would notify me every time I looked at it that there was a new update available, so having heard mostly positive things about Lollipop I took the plunge. Have been very happy. Seems all of my settings from my previous version carried over. It has only been 2 days, but so far so good.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't have the google toolbar/searchbar that everyone is talking about (I've read a lot about a search bar that used to be transparent and is now some solid white toolbar that is on the homescreen)? I seem to remember disabling it when I first got my phone. Haven't had it since.

So far the only problem I've had with the update is with the stock messaging app taking a lot longer to send MMS (still sends, just isn't as fast as it used to be). I also got a text from a friend at 2 in the morning that was random and when I looked in to it, it had been sent the previous day, though I'm not convinced that's not a network error...as I've been texting others with no problems and no delays.

The new features work fine for me. I haven't had any issues with the chop-chop flashlight, I haven't had any excess battery drain (in fact I only lost 5% after the update), and the camera seems to be improved. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the update.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
every time my phone boots up (i do it once every day or two, right after charging) it has the popup that says android is starting and apps are being optimized. it lasts for only 3 seconds or so. not a big deal but annoying i guess

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Part of it is probably my own neurosis of just wanting them closed. I bet my parent's phones each have 50 apps open.

Not necessarily. The recent apps list is showing apps recently run. Almost all are not actually running but cached in memory, suspended, and not swiping the away makes the open where you left them faster and with fewer resources used, saving battery. There are a few cases when apps need to be closed, but it's really rare.

How does closing gmail. FB, gallery and camera all at once kill the battery?

for an app like Facebook, if you have it set up to look for notifications in the background, closing it will just be followed by it opening back up again. Gmail doesn't actually do anything in the background - the Google services app syncs with you account and refreshes your inbox and any other labels you have set to sync in the background, whether the gmail app is in the background or not. Closing it just forces the phone to use more resources opening it back up again when you next use it.

See http://phandroid.com/2014/09/16/protip-swiping-away-recent-apps-killing-performance/

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I've replicated a sound glitch. If I listen to music through Bluetooth I don't hear my notifications at all. Once I shut down the Bluetooth and music, all of my notifications sound like they're at half volume even at the highest setting. A reboot solves this but its VERY annoying and unacceptable.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Not necessarily. The recent apps list is showing apps recently run. Almost all are not actually running but cached in memory, suspended, and not swiping the away makes the open where you left them faster and with fewer resources used, saving battery. There are a few cases when apps need to be closed, but it's really rare.

for an app like Facebook, if you have it set up to look for notifications in the background, closing it will just be followed by it opening back up again. Gmail doesn't actually do anything in the background - the Google services app syncs with you account and refreshes your inbox and any other labels you have set to sync in the background, whether the gmail app is in the background or not. Closing it just forces the phone to use more resources opening it back up again when you next use it.

See http://phandroid.com/2014/09/16/protip-swiping-away-recent-apps-killing-performance/

Good info. Thanks.