DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what exactly is it that's so great about Lollipop again?

Op

You can always ditch your turbo and get a original droid? The world's advancing, advance with it. Lollipop brings a new modern ui, and many smaller enhancements. Although I must say the battery life is a little worse than kitkat

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Op

You can always ditch your turbo and get a original droid? The world's advancing, advance with it. Lollipop brings a new modern ui, and many smaller enhancements. Although I must say the battery life is a little worse than kitkat
That's very helpful. Thanks. I'm not sure it's considered advancing when they take away useful features. My battery life is actually improved. I'm using Nova Launcher so my UI is pretty much exactly the same except for the features they took away

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Yep, everyone... People are allowed to like it or not like it. There is no one way for everyone. (However, if you don't like it, it's probably better for you in the long run to adjust to it rather than be bitter about it, because there really is no going back in this case.)

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Yep, everyone... People are allowed to like it or not like it. There is no one way for everyone. (However, if you don't like it, it's probably better for you in the long run to adjust to it rather than be bitter about it, because there really is no going back in this case.)

I'll survive with it. Its just the small things that are frustrating and never seem to make sense to the end user, why some high up decisions were made. It's like that with anything.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Here's mine. Something like this should be a native option.

9fde5ff2dff251d57da5277f4a306c2c.jpg

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Definitely need to go back and rewatch the series again. Can't watch Serenity again. Just can't bring myself to break my heart. I will never forgive Joss Whedon.

I recently rewatched the series followed by Serenity.

Then I watched Daredevil. I highly recommend that by the way...

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Sooooo. I just got off the phone with big red tier 2. And before you start in, I know they are clueless. But I wanted to share some info. The young lady was very nice and I actually think pretty honest about complaints since the update. My issue is not being able to toggle 4g on/off and being able to restrict my background data. The ability to control that was requested by Verizon and not a Motorola issue. So that bring me to the next point, Why?

My guess is there will be quite a few that suddenly find themselves going over data limits and buying/upgrading the data limit. Pretty smart on bid reds part but stinks for the consumer. I have unlimited so doesn't bother me. But I think this is an issue for ALOT of people. I used to set my phone to shut everything off from bedtime to morning. Dim the screen, shutdown background sync, turn off 4g. These options are no longer available. I would use somewhere between 3-5% battery overnight but now it's between 10- 15%.
I have seen quite a lot of posts about this same thing. There are only so many charging cycles with the nonremovable battery also. So now battery life on my phone is now 12-14 hours instead of 40+ before the update.
Curious to see what others think.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I may be missing the point of your post, mobrules, but I still have a toggle in the settings to turn mobile data on or off whenever I want. What has changed?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The automatic options with apps. They removed the option for apps like Tasker, macro Droid, and automateit to be able to change the settings. This will increase data use for some. I usually use phones for awhile. But being forced to charge more often will shorten that I'm guessing.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sooooo. I just got off the phone with big red tier 2. And before you start in, I know they are clueless. But I wanted to share some info. The young lady was very nice and I actually think pretty honest about complaints since the update. My issue is not being able to toggle 4g on/off and being able to restrict my background data. The ability to control that was requested by Verizon and not a Motorola issue. So that bring me to the next point, Why?

My guess is there will be quite a few that suddenly find themselves going over data limits and buying/upgrading the data limit. Pretty smart on bid reds part but stinks for the consumer. I have unlimited so doesn't bother me. But I think this is an issue for ALOT of people. I used to set my phone to shut everything off from bedtime to morning. Dim the screen, shutdown background sync, turn off 4g. These options are no longer available. I would use somewhere between 3-5% battery overnight but now it's between 10- 15%.
I have seen quite a lot of posts about this same thing. There are only so many charging cycles with the nonremovable battery also. So now battery life on my phone is now 12-14 hours instead of 40+ before the update.
Curious to see what others think.

I've had some good luck with some of Verizon's tier 2 tech support. The ones I have issues with are the tier 1 people who try to solve the problem themselves rather than send you to the more capable tier 2 people. However, I've also had some clueless tier 2 techs, but it's usually a toss up.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had some good luck with some of Verizon's tier 2 tech support. The ones I have issues with are the tier 1 people who try to solve the problem themselves rather than send you to the more capable tier 2 people. However, I've also had some clueless tier 2 techs, but it's usually a toss up.

I got lucky this time. I've had the same experience. It was nice to be able to confirm what I thought, that that option was requested by Verizon. It works on my nexus.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So my initial thoughts based on a period of time to truly dig in and evaluate based on my usage...

They broke the toggling the ringer/vibrate/silent function badly. But once I get a chance perhaps priority ringing can be okay. Still think they broke what did not need to be fixed, though.

They took away the widget with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and all that. You would be surprised how much I used that widget. Now I have to pull down a menu.

I do not like the lock screen at all.

The face thing where you look at it is weird but could be cool. Not sure.

Google Keyboard is laggy as ever.

Not a fan of many of the bells and whistles.

Phone seems to be clearer when talking, like there is some oomph to the volume that didn't used to exist.

Calculator works better by giving the answer before hitting enter, so if it seems off, you can fix it.

Finally got the Google Hangouts glitch to stop thanks to the suggestion to forced stop, install, uninstall, and let it roll.

Honestly... I am one who gets excited about new OSes. I loved going from G to ICS then JB and then KK. But this OS makes me feel like I went from XP to Vista in a way. I just don't think I am a fan right now. I am hoping time changes that, but right now, I am not feeling Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So my initial thoughts based on a period of time to truly dig in and evaluate based on my usage...

They broke the toggling the ringer/vibrate/silent function badly. But once I get a chance perhaps priority ringing can be okay. Still think they broke what did not need to be fixed, though.

They took away the widget with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and all that. You would be surprised how much I used that widget. Now I have to pull down a menu.

Google Keyboard is laggy as ever.

Phone seems to be clearer when talking, like there is some oomph to the volume that didn't used to exist.

Calculator works better by giving the answer before hitting enter, so if it seems off, you can fix it.

Finally got the Google Hangouts glitch to stop thanks to the suggestion to forced stop, install, uninstall, and let it roll.

Honestly... I am one who gets excited about new OSes. I loved going from G to ICS then JB and then KK. But this OS makes me feel like I went from XP to Vista in a way. I just don't think I am a fan right now. I am hoping time changes that, but right now, I am not feeling Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

The ringer is annoying but honestly I've gotten used to Priority settings. One thing to remember is that if you set priority to go off with an alarm (maybe others too, haven't tried), you need to be sure the alarm is set first. Setting Priority and then changing the alarm will force you to re-enable Priority because it was set to the alarm.

As for Google Keyboard, I've had zero lag on Lollipop and a ton on KK. With that said, my issue on KK solved itself for the most part once I deleted over 2000 old texts.

antonics

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
every time my phone boots up (i do it once every day or two, right after charging) it has the popup that says android is starting and apps are being optimized. it lasts for only 3 seconds or so. not a big deal but annoying i guess

Same here. After recharging battery while phone was off, it showed Android starting then showed Android Updating 47 items. Took awhile!

antonics

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi. My battery drained to 15% before I powered down the Droid Turbo and charged it using the provided turbo charger wall outlet. It reached 100% so I powered up. Huge battery drain again. 1% in less than a minute! Rebooted again. Then long-pressed while still booting. It restarted and optimized all apps. I plugged in charger to make sure. Cellular Network Signal showed red, yellow-colored line when checking battery. Has anybody experienced this as power hog? I presently turned off cellular data and wi-fi (I am at home). Should I have charged the phone with the power On, or power Off? Any suggestions?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi. My battery drained to 15% before I powered down the Droid Turbo and charged it using the provided turbo charger wall outlet. It reached 100% so I powered up. Huge battery drain again. 1% in less than a minute! Rebooted again. Then long-pressed while still booting. It restarted and optimized all apps. I plugged in charger to make sure. Cellular Network Signal showed red, yellow-colored line when checking battery. Has anybody experienced this as power hog? I presently turned off cellular data and wi-fi (I am at home). Should I have charged the phone with the power On, or power Off? Any suggestions?

Either way if charging is fine but I wouldn't freak out. Use the phone for a day and report back with your numbers such as what's using the most and its percentage and display on time.

So many people freak out and give a limited sample size. It's difficult to pinpoint the issue that way.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Since Lollipop I've been getting the unfortunate message that Hangouts has stopped. Which is unfortunate. Which I want to stop.

Has this fix worked for you?

Another possible "fix" is to enable the Hangouts app but don't use it.

No issues so far so the fix is working for me.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
You can get one from the playstore, but I preferred the stock one as it didn't have a bunch of things I didn't need.

I think I've mostly gotten mine back to like it was before

What face thing?

As long as there is the option to disable things I don't want I don't mind them.

Yea, definitely seems like an incremental upgrade, but I think my battery is better so that's a plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12