After installing Lollipop what should I do and why? Cache wipe or factory reset?
    06-30-2015 11:23 PM
    After installing Lollipop what should I do and why? Cache wipe or factory reset?
    Personally, not necessarily either at first.

This comes down to personal opinion. An OTA is what some would describe as a "dirty flash." Which ultimately just means a higher than normal chance for something to get fudged up in the update process.

Personally, I usually take updates and just see. If I'm experiencing trouble (bad battery life, crashing apps, or system jank) I wipe the cache first-- sometimes this fixes the problem(s) I'm having sometimes it won't. My next step is a factory reset.

The reason for the cache clear before the factory reset is that it's quicker and I don't have to back up data before hand.

That all being said, like I mentioned before it all comes down to personal preference. Some people immediately factory reset after a major OTA. Nothing wrong with that if you choose to do so.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-30-2015 11:47 PM
    Neither unless you're having problems. Reason:You're not having any problems.
    06-30-2015 11:52 PM
    Neither unless you're having problems. Reason:You're not having any problems.
    This, although I will do a factory reset after Lollipop installs just for the heck of it. I have the time to set my device up again and I would rather do it when I have time rather than later on if necessary.

Sometimes we hear about poor battery life after updates so I'm going to avoid this lol.
    Ole Man Dan and jimcapraro like this.
    07-01-2015 02:36 AM
    Personally, not necessarily either at first.

This comes down to personal opinion. An OTA is what some would describe as a "dirty flash." Which ultimately just means a higher than normal chance for something to get fudged up in the update process.

Personally, I usually take updates and just see. If I'm experiencing trouble (bad battery life, crashing apps, or system jank) I wipe the cache first-- sometimes this fixes the problem(s) I'm having sometimes it won't. My next step is a factory reset.

The reason for the cache clear before the factory reset is that it's quicker and I don't have to back up data before hand.

That all being said, like I mentioned before it all comes down to personal preference. Some people immediately factory reset after a major OTA. Nothing wrong with that if you choose to do so.
    Yes, this, exactly this.

That said, I haven't had a phone that did an android version update that I didn't end up doing a factory data reset. Too bad Google hasn't made this easier to do than it is. Still, I would wait to see how the phone works at least for a few days.

With my Droid Maxx I thought that I was having a problem (more battery drain and my accounts logged out if I lost mobile data coverage) after the kk update and did a reset but then discovered my phone was no better after the reset.

It sure won't hurt to wipe the cache partition, though.
    07-01-2015 06:14 AM
    How does one wipe the cache partition? Thx

07-01-2015 08:34 AM
    How does one wipe the cache partition? Thx
    See this post for a link to the steps: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4525397
    07-01-2015 08:37 AM
    There seems to be a lot of vague anecdotal information in the forums concerning this issue, has anyone actually read that someone had "X" problem, did a factory reset, and solved "X' problem immediately. In my experience it has been more like "my phone's battery life was 50% less, reported 1 hour after updating, so they jump and do a reset and say it has improved after 24 hrs". But there is no control condition saying that the phone would not have improved by itself in 24 hrs. I wish someone could cite a google reference document on this subject. Even Moto is vague about clearing cache and what kind of problems it will solve. It reminds me of people who constantly optimize Windows registry to clean up "orphaned registry keys", and Windows officially says never to touch the registry.
    TDL1068 likes this.
    07-01-2015 01:06 PM
    Personally, I factory reset after a major OS update. It'll take a little time to get everything reinstalled and back up and running; however, it's worth the effort up front rather than running into problems down the line. Either way, this article is worth a read: Android 5.0 Lollipop bugs got you down? Here's how you (might be able to) fix them | Android Central

If you don't want to factory reset there are other options available that you can try just in case you do have issues. As mentioned many times in this thread, you don't need to do a factory reset immediately after the update unless you are having problems and can't track down the issues. Let us know if you have any other questions!
    07-01-2015 01:33 PM
    Right, I think we're all on the same page here. Wiping the cache partition is very benign. It may solve problems, it will cause no new ones. Basically the cache partition stores os log files, some temp files, sometimes apps store some data there, and android OTA updates are downloaded to cache. There is nothing critically important there that will be lost with a wipe, and it's possible to improve performance or help an app that's acting funny get running right again (in rare cases.)

I rarely wipe cache myself - I only do so when my phone does a spontaneous restart.
    07-01-2015 01:37 PM
    I did a factory reset immediately after installing. Not that I needed to but why not.
    07-01-2015 04:22 PM
    I wish now I wouldn't have done the factory reset. The update went fine but I like to do a reset, now it says I don't have any cloud contacts to sync.. Had 300 or more, and won't let me. Never had problems before....

07-01-2015 04:49 PM
    Update to above post:

Turns out at somepoint after doing the factory reset i managed to accidently mive all my cloud contacts to the cloud trash. I was able to restore them and get them back.

So i got to do a little comparison, i did the factory reset on my phone, but did not on a friends phone. On hers i just let it update and install. Later i will mess with it and be able to report any noticable differences between the phones.

07-02-2015 12:27 PM
    I personally dont and I have had nothing but great results. I feel there should be no need to. Android updates are designed for non techie people. Most people dont know what it means or how to do it
    Davidoo likes this.
    07-02-2015 06:10 PM
    I personally dont and I have had nothing but great results. I feel there should be no need to. Android updates are designed for non techie people. Most people dont know what it means or how to do it
    True, but starting fresh can't hurt. It may help some people although it's more of a preference thing. I didn't notice any issues before the reset but I had an issue during it on multiple attempts.

1. Said erasing but then all I saw was a black screen with my notification bar.

2. said erasing but phone was still on. Took 5 minutes to go into the hboot screen and say erasing there. Then 10 minutes.

The reason #2 was concerning is because previous Android versions didn't wait that long to reboot into a reset. It may be a lollipop thing or maybe I did have issues.
    07-02-2015 08:10 PM
    I cache wiped today due to chrome being very slow and bad battery life. Wiping the app cache for chrome didn't solve it, but clearing the system cache did.

That being said, clearing the system cache took about half an hour. I was getting pretty nervous. If you need to do it, be patient, there isn't a progress indicator -- just let the thing run.

So far so good after the wipe...

TDL1068 likes this.
    07-03-2015 02:13 AM
    I cache wiped today due to chrome being very slow and bad battery life. Wiping the app cache for chrome didn't solve it, but clearing the system cache did.

That being said, clearing the system cache took about half an hour. I was getting pretty nervous. If you need to do it, be patient, there isn't a progress indicator -- just let the thing run.

So far so good after the wipe...

I'd like to add that factory resetting is an adventure now too, unfortunately. I waited 30 minutes for it to shut down and reset but it didn't. Phone froze over but circle kept spinning. Rebooted by holding Power until it reboot and tried again. What a nightmare.
    07-03-2015 02:50 AM
    I did none if the above, have no problems and loving lollipop : )
    07-03-2015 06:42 AM
    I did the OTA update, but ended up doing a factory reset. I waited a couple of days hoping it would stabilize, but no such luck. I was having app freezes, play store locking up, and spontaneous reboots. Also, fast battery depletion, and phone hot to touch. All problems have been solved by the reset ( thankfully!) :-) Love the Lollipop!

Eclipse2K likes this.
    07-04-2015 01:12 AM
    I did a cache wipe, but I do that once a month anyway. So far no problems, everything running great, loving L so far.
    07-04-2015 11:36 AM
    Yes not necessarily. But I suggest you to factory reset for prevent conflict in your apps.
    07-06-2015 02:40 AM
    I had battery issues and hot phone 12 hours after update to Lollipop.

Clearing the cache partition took 5-10 minutes and all problems resolved instantly.

Much less hassle vs a factory reset.
    09-18-2015 07:07 PM