Had high hopes that wifi would improve with update. Still can't connect to an excellent server. Time to bail out.
    07-01-2015 02:08 PM
    Odd... probably hard ware or your router.
    Ry and gemery#CB like this.
    07-01-2015 02:20 PM
    That sounds like a server configuration problem. I have never had a problem connecting to any wi-fi device.
    gemery#CB likes this.
    07-01-2015 02:21 PM
    Just booted up a new phone and it connected to my home wifi seconds after plugging in the password.
    07-01-2015 02:33 PM
    Had high hopes that wifi would improve with update. Still can't connect to an excellent server. Time to bail out.
    I also have never had an issue connecting to any Wi-Fi with the Turbo. I suspect there is something in the routers settings that is causing this. One time I wasted most of a day trying to get a device to connect to my home Wi-Fi and then realized I had turned on MAC address filtering in the Wi-Fi security of my router.
    gemery#CB likes this.
    07-01-2015 03:01 PM
    Not only has my Turbo been flawless on WiFi, it's the fastest phone I've had my hands on. Speeds are equal to 2 different desktop PC's connected via ethernet and range is outstanding especially, on the 2.4 band.
    07-01-2015 03:12 PM
    Add me to the no problems camp. Purchased the phone Sunday and it connected immediately once I got home.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-01-2015 03:52 PM
    What's the problem? Could you elaborate more on the issue?
    Almeuit likes this.
    07-01-2015 04:27 PM
    Connects fine to home and work. Unknown networks have a problem. Hangs when trying to get an IP address or is just super slow.
    07-01-2015 04:52 PM
    Connects fine to home and work. Unknown networks have a problem. Hangs when trying to get an IP address or is just super slow.
    It sounds more like a network issue than a phone issue I would say. Especially if it is working at home and other networks that you trust.
    GatsbyGlen likes this.
    07-01-2015 05:29 PM
    As much as you say its a great server and all, I am going to have to believe either it isnt great, or there is something wrong with your specific phone. If you like the phone I wouldn't necessarily bail from it because of an issue that may not be actually with the phone
    07-01-2015 06:15 PM
    I too have had home WiFi issues with my turbo. Always have though. I even had Verizon replace the router to a better one and still see the same connection problem. Phone shows connected, but when trying to use Internet or app that requires internet. Nothing will load. Had to do lollipop update on 4g.

07-01-2015 06:43 PM
    See screen shot. Shows connected but really not.

Attached Thumbnails DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: WiFi Still Not Fixed For Me-52565.jpg  
    07-01-2015 07:42 PM
    I never had any wi-fi problems...until I updated to 5.1. My phone might as well be connected to a 9600 baud modem. Terrible.
    07-01-2015 09:17 PM
    Anyone know how to rank the WiFi connections?

I have a router that's both an optimum Hotspot and my own WiFi network. Right now it's connected to optimum WiFi and not my network. Any way to tell it to connect to my home network first above the optimum?

I thought I was able to rank them by preference before.
    07-01-2015 09:23 PM
    Anyone know how to rank the WiFi connections?

I have a router that's both an optimum Hotspot and my own WiFi network. Right now it's connected to optimum WiFi and not my network. Any way to tell it to connect to my home network first above the optimum?

I thought I was able to rank them by preference before.
    I'd like to know if this is possible too. I have 2.4 & 5g networks at both work and home. Since the upgrade it always seems to default to the 5g networks when it connects even though the signal strength is lower than the 2.4.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    07-01-2015 09:36 PM
    Mine seems allot more stable. There is not a delay anymore when loading pics on webpages or delay on Instagram.
    07-01-2015 10:13 PM
    I'd like to know if this is possible too. I have 2.4 & 5g networks at both work and home. Since the upgrade it always seems to default to the 5g networks when it connects even though the signal strength is lower than the 2.4.

If you save both 2.4 & 5G the phone will always (or, almost always) default to 5G if the signal strength is adequate. This is because 5G will normally have faster connection & throughput even though, the signal strength is less. I've confirmed this many times with repetitive, back-to-back speed test using a variety of servers. Sometimes the differences are small, sometimes substantial but overall 5G wins. I used to keep mine on 2.4 for the extra range but no longer bother. My Asus AC68U has 5G range sufficient for my home interior & grounds so I just let the device select now & couldn't be more satisfied. The Turbo actually equals 2, ethernet connected desktop computers & that speaks volumes about the hardware capability. Also, to date every Turbo I've seen with WiFi issues could be traced to the router - old & outdated lacking modern protocols or badly in need of a firmware update or both. Saddle these bad boys up to a good network & watch it fly.
    07-01-2015 11:06 PM
    What you're saying makes sense and I'll run with it for a while to watch the performance. The phone didn't connect to 5g first before I did the update though, it always took the 2.4 network.

07-02-2015 02:30 AM
    on kitkat my wifi would drop out all the time and wasn't stable with the update to lollipop its now stable and doesn't drop out all the time !!
    07-02-2015 07:46 AM
    Mine no longer has the lag it had. Before when i woke up the phone and tried to do something it acted like it had to re connect to wifi. I know i had the settings right but it still did it.

After the update/reset it no longer pauses.. its much faster.

07-02-2015 11:30 AM
    If you save both 2.4 & 5G the phone will always (or, almost always) default to 5G if the signal strength is adequate. This is because 5G will normally have faster connection & throughput even though, the signal strength is less. I've confirmed this many times with repetitive, back-to-back speed test using a variety of servers. Sometimes the differences are small, sometimes substantial but overall 5G wins. I used to keep mine on 2.4 for the extra range but no longer bother. My Asus AC68U has 5G range sufficient for my home interior & grounds so I just let the device select now & couldn't be more satisfied. The Turbo actually equals 2, ethernet connected desktop computers & that speaks volumes about the hardware capability. Also, to date every Turbo I've seen with WiFi issues could be traced to the router - old & outdated lacking modern protocols or badly in need of a firmware update or both. Saddle these bad boys up to a good network & watch it fly.
    I'm actually the opposite. On my laptop with Wireless AC I get 115Mbps on 2.4 and 125Mbps on 5. However, my phone is 125Mbps on 5 but drops to about 50 on 2.4. I would use 5 Ghz but my Astro A50 gaming headset runs on the 5 Ghz band so I disabled it in my router so no one uses it and interferes with it.

Either disable 5Ghz within the router settings or do a manual setup to the band you wish to use. Don't leave both bands as an option and only allow your Turbo to connect to one of them. You can do 5Ghz at work and 2.4Ghz at home if you wish since each band is actually considered its own connection.
    I have never once had an issue. I've setup my WiFi on 3 Asus Wireless AC routers, a Netgear Wireless N, Linksys Wireless N and even a Technicolor Gateway from Comcast. Of course that's between myself and friends but still no issues. However, the worst connection was by far on the Gateway. Which leads me to the question, are you using stand alone routers or gateways? If it's a Gateway and you're forced into it due to a home phone, tell your internet provider that you want to set it in Bridge mode which disables the wireless networking function of the Gateway. Buy your own router and enjoy far better reliability, range and just being able to connect!

I also wonder what security protocol everyone is using. The majority of us should be using WPA2 Personal. My friend called me the other day saying her router crapped the bed and nothing connected. Explain to me why I was able to get every device connected within 5 minutes? People need to learn WiFi so they don't get a headache and waste money on new equipment constantly. I mean, we all use it daily, right?
    07-02-2015 01:47 PM
    I also wonder what security protocol everyone is using. The majority of us should be using WPA2 Personal. My friend called me the other day saying her router crapped the bed and nothing connected. Explain to me why I was able to get every device connected within 5 minutes? People need to learn WiFi so they don't get a headache and waste money on new equipment constantly. I mean, we all use it daily, right?
    I'm not trying to say what you've said isn't true, but I know that I've tried to walk Turbo users through WiFi settings to make sure that they are current and up to date - and they were - and, on KK at the time, they still had problems with specific router (and upgrading the firmware was one of the questions, yes.) Others have problems with routers at work (which work with other phone models that others at work have, and the user had owned before), and obviously buying a new router or changing settings is not possible in those cases.

The one person I know IRL who I know with a Turbo came to my house, with its Apple Airport router (search and you'll see that people had issues with those), and she had no trouble at all. Weird. (Well, one of the routers here is an airport, in bridge mode connected by ethernet to the gateway, but that's the one she was connected to, and she was fine as well with the other, an Asus something-or-other N router.)
    07-03-2015 07:29 AM