I, like many other TURBO owners, started the Lollipop update today, but unlike many others, my phone seems to have been bricked by the update.

I am, unfortunately, not exactly sure at what point the update killed my phone, but I'll explain what lead up to it.

I jumped on my company's wifi to download the update, and it said it would take about an hour to do so (our wifi is slow), so I went back to work. About half an hour later I wanted to check the download progress, so I waved my hand over the screen and it did not light up. I tapped the phone's screen and it did not light up. I tapped the Lock button and the screen did not light up. I tried holding the Lock button to power the phone up, nothing. I tried holding Lock and Volume Up to reset the phone, nothing. I've tried plugging my phone into wall outlets and a computer to charge, nothing.

I did not have my phone plugged in before starting the update, which I now regret not doing, but I charge my phone every night and only lightly use it during the day, and it wasn't below 80% before starting the update, so I highly doubt it ran out of power after half an hour of downloading, and even if it did, plugging it in would have woken it up. Unless somehow the power did run out, and the download took less time than it should have and the phone started the update process and then died due to running out of power, I have no idea what is wrong.

I fear the phone is bricked and I'll have to take it into a Verizon store, but if anyone has any information on what might have caused this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

~Zanny
    07-01-2015 02:03 PM
    Sorry, Zanny, I don't know what might have caused your phone problem.

Does anyone else know if there's a way to have a dark theme for the notifications? I don't like the white boxes with the text in them. So far, that's the only thing I don't like.
    07-01-2015 02:19 PM
    I, like many other TURBO owners, started the Lollipop update today, but unlike many others, my phone seems to have been bricked by the update.

I am, unfortunately, not exactly sure at what point the update killed my phone, but I'll explain what lead up to it.

I jumped on my company's wifi to download the update, and it said it would take about an hour to do so (our wifi is slow), so I went back to work. About half an hour later I wanted to check the download progress, so I waved my hand over the screen and it did not light up. I tapped the phone's screen and it did not light up. I tapped the Lock button and the screen did not light up. I tried holding the Lock button to power the phone up, nothing. I tried holding Lock and Volume Up to reset the phone, nothing. I've tried plugging my phone into wall outlets and a computer to charge, nothing.

I did not have my phone plugged in before starting the update, which I now regret not doing, but I charge my phone every night and only lightly use it during the day, and it wasn't below 80% before starting the update, so I highly doubt it ran out of power after half an hour of downloading, and even if it did, plugging it in would have woken it up. Unless somehow the power did run out, and the download took less time than it should have and the phone started the update process and then died due to running out of power, I have no idea what is wrong.

I fear the phone is bricked and I'll have to take it into a Verizon store, but if anyone has any information on what might have caused this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

~Zanny
    Just a guess but I suspect you interrupted the install. You may be able to get into recovery and reset in order to try again?
    07-01-2015 03:15 PM
    Sadly the phone is completely unresponsive. Screen is black and no button combinations will get it to reset. What's strange is if I plug it into my computer, it recognizes something is connected, but says the device has malfunctioned and can't be accessed. I guess I just have to head over to Verizon and see what they say.
    07-01-2015 03:20 PM
    Sadly the phone is completely unresponsive. Screen is black and no button combinations will get it to reset. What's strange is if I plug it into my computer, it recognizes something is connected, but says the device has malfunctioned and can't be accessed. I guess I just have to head over to Verizon and see what they say.
    Does holding power for 10 seconds reset? I had the same issue when I tried to do the first factory reset but I got a black screen and a status bar with no responsive keys.

I'll give my impressions after I've had time to mess with it. Step 1 was change Google KB to Material Dark. I also want to keep the Google tool bar but its white and annoying. The app drawer icon needs to be customizable because white is ridiculous again. Why they make brighter colors forced on us is mind boggling.
    07-01-2015 03:23 PM
    My phone has been stuck on the Motorola android screen for an hour... The black background, white M screen.

Does this mean my phone has bricked? How long does it take for it to restart?
    07-01-2015 04:06 PM
    We have a Moto X 2013 that had a similar issue, however it wasn't downloading anything, just sitting there. What they had to do was start out like you're going to do a wipe of the cache partition, but instead of holding the power & volume down buttons for a few seconds, I was told to hold them down for 2-3 minutes and then release. If it works, you'll see the green robot on his back like when you're in recovery mode. Then you go ahead and do a wipe of the cache partition and that should work. They also recommended putting the phone on the charger to make sure it's fully charged before you start, which it should do even if the screen is off.

Not saying that'll definitely fix it, but it can't hurt to try either. Either way it should still be under warranty so worst case you get a new (or refurbed) Turbo.
    07-01-2015 04:14 PM
    My phone has been stuck on the Motorola android screen for an hour... The black background, white M screen.

Does this mean my phone has bricked? How long does it take for it to restart?
    Not an hour. That doesn't sound good. What if you push the power button and volume down button at the same time?

Sent from my XT1080
    07-01-2015 04:41 PM
    Not an hour. That doesn't sound good. What if you push the power button and volume down button at the same time?
    It's just long-press of power for 10 seconds to simulate a battery pull and restart for a Turbo. There's no need to press volume down as well.
    07-01-2015 04:59 PM
    Thanks everyone for the responses, but everything I tried suggested and various other things I found in my support searches but nothing seemed to work.

My phone was indeed under warranty so now I just have to wait for my new phone to get here.

Thanks again for taking your time to try to help me, I appreciate it.

~Zanny
    doogald and vzwuser76 like this.
    07-02-2015 12:18 PM