08-03-2015 05:26 PM
129 1234 ...
tools
    After five days on Lollipop my battery life is about the same as before, maybe slightly better. I know stand by time is better. Also, before it was common for me to have an app or service go rogue and drain the battery. But I haven't had that with L. So overall my battery and phone overall are more stable now.
    07-08-2015 01:17 PM
    Nope. Using the same, and even some days less. I was traveling for 6 hours on Monday, so my phone was idle for most of it and I still was down to 60% by the time I got home. Today I have 27 minutes of SOT, been off the charger for 6 hours, and am down to 80% already. Top drains, Google Play Services at 4%, Chrome at 3%, Cell Standby at 3% and Screen at 2%, followed by Android OS, Android System and Wifi.
    07-08-2015 01:47 PM
    I only got the update this morning (Google Now whiffed on updating THAT research topic - didn't even know it was coming!). I immediately powered off, fully charged up, cleared the cache partition, and rebooted.

I'm barely using the phone, and it is projecting only 13 hours of battery life from the full charge. That's right - almost no use, and its losing ~7.5% per hour. And I'm on wifi. Screen only on for 25 minutes out of 3.5 hours (auto-brightness), and I'm down to 74%...

I assume it will get better over the next few days - I presume, but don't know, that there is more optimizing and crap going on in the background right now than there will be a few days hence. But this isn't "off to a good start."
    07-08-2015 01:52 PM
    Yeah battery life is much worse after the update. Same usage yet my battery dies before I make it to the end of the day. Prior I was able to go almost 2 days before having to charge.

I tried the cache clear but that hasn't helped either. KitKat my battery life was fine but this update battery life is horrible. Not really happy with that. I thought Lollipop was supposed to have improvement to battery life?
    07-08-2015 01:53 PM
    Mine has been either the same or maybe a little better. I did a factory reset after installing, and i usually give it a week after pulling a big update out of the air before i really check. However, i didn't notice it get any worse, just nit much better but thats ok because i was making through the really long days just fine..

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-08-2015 02:09 PM
    My usage/awake drain is about on par with K, but stand-by and idle time is definitely better than it was, leading to an overall slight improvement.
    07-08-2015 02:13 PM
    I only got the update this morning (Google Now whiffed on updating THAT research topic - didn't even know it was coming!). I immediately powered off, fully charged up, cleared the cache partition, and rebooted.

I'm barely using the phone, and it is projecting only 13 hours of battery life from the full charge. That's right - almost no use, and its losing ~7.5% per hour. And I'm on wifi. Screen only on for 25 minutes out of 3.5 hours (auto-brightness), and I'm down to 74%...

I assume it will get better over the next few days - I presume, but don't know, that there is more optimizing and crap going on in the background right now than there will be a few days hence. But this isn't "off to a good start."
    What's your signal like. Check it in the settings and report the dBm value. Low signal or rogue apps are usually the reason for high battery drain. I'd say the fact that some are doing incredibly well in terms of battery life while others aren't points to either a setup issue (certain apps or settings causing the issue) or environmental issue (signal level due to location). If it was an inherent issue with the update, then logically everyone would be having issues. Everonmental issues would be easier to diagnose, since there is an almost infinite combination of apps and settings that could cause issues. It could possibly be a hardware issue as well, depending on how many charge cycles the battery has been put through, or if the battery was somehow damaged.

My battery life has improved after the update, but I'm not getting the screen on time of some members here. I think the best I ever got was around 6 hours shortly after I got the device.
    07-08-2015 03:02 PM
    What's your signal like. Check it in the settings and report the dBm value. Low signal or rogue apps are usually the reason for high battery drain. I'd say the fact that some are doing incredibly well in terms of battery life while others aren't points to either a setup issue (certain apps or settings causing the issue) or environmental issue (signal level due to location). If it was an inherent issue with the update, then logically everyone would be having issues. Everonmental issues would be easier to diagnose, since there is an almost infinite combination of apps and settings that could cause issues. It could possibly be a hardware issue as well, depending on how many charge cycles the battery has been put through, or if the battery was somehow damaged.

My battery life has improved after the update, but I'm not getting the screen on time of some members here. I think the best I ever got was around 6 hours shortly after I got the device.
    It's not like I haven't had the phone for 7 months. I know how the battery should perform - and more importantly, how it performed yesterday. ;-)

It's not hardware - degradation like this doesn't happen overnight and coincidentally to an update.

And its not signal - I have 5 bars, -85dBm 55 asu. And I've been on wifi the whole day.

My top offenders are screen, Play Services, and Android OS. No other apps or services are above 1%.

Does that mean it is "the update"? No - it could be a compatibility issue in an app, sure. But it was an incompatibility I didn't have yesterday, when I easily got 36 hours out of a charge -- not 13.

But it also seems to be a fairly common complaint that Google Play Services is killing batteries left and right after the update. Mine is just another data point.
    tonyr6 and chidoro42 like this.
    07-08-2015 03:11 PM
    I haven't been using any more than normal. And yea I know it's just been a week but when I can't get through the day any longer it's a big Change

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-08-2015 03:20 PM
    I am hoping we get root to switch back to kk. If not I'm gonna have to switch soon
    I used to go 40 hrs plus and now it's 12 if I'm lucky
    07-08-2015 03:44 PM
    Those were the days.........

I keep on screen time was low on that one but just an example of what I'm used to getting if I chose to.
    Attached Thumbnails DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-1436387456611.jpg  
    07-08-2015 04:31 PM
    Google Play Services would often kill my battery for the last six weeks before the update. Now it's still up there on the list but nowhere near the drain it was before.
    07-08-2015 04:58 PM
    Those were the days.........

I keep on screen time was low on that one but just an example of what I'm used to getting if I chose to.
    How in the world do you have your screen on for just over 3 hours, but the phone has only been held awake for less than 90 seconds? My awake time is usually a few minutes more than my screen on time, so I am baffled how you have such a huge discrepancy. Be definition, if the screen is on, the phone is awake! What am I missing?
    07-08-2015 07:32 PM
    If you're having battery issues like that I'd seriously consider trying a factory data reset and set up the phone again.
    07-08-2015 08:15 PM
    My battery has been about the same, if not better. I did the update on 7/3. Cleared the cache and fully charged. Haven't charged it since (here we are 5 days later) and I'm at 28%. I'm used to getting about 5 days (mild-moderate use, mostly texting and phone calls, some camera usage), so I've not noticed any decline.
    07-08-2015 09:14 PM
    It's not like I haven't had the phone for 7 months. I know how the battery should perform - and more importantly, how it performed yesterday. ;-)

It's not hardware - degradation like this doesn't happen overnight and coincidentally to an update.

And its not signal - I have 5 bars, -85dBm 55 asu. And I've been on wifi the whole day.

My top offenders are screen, Play Services, and Android OS. No other apps or services are above 1%.

Does that mean it is "the update"? No - it could be a compatibility issue in an app, sure. But it was an incompatibility I didn't have yesterday, when I easily got 36 hours out of a charge -- not 13.

But it also seems to be a fairly common complaint that Google Play Services is killing batteries left and right after the update. Mine is just another data point.
    I understand that most people here have owned this device for awhile now, but that doesn't mean that it still couldn't be one of those items. It could even be that your battery is not drawing much but the battery meter isn't reading correctly. I can't recall if you said you had done either a FDR or a cache partition wipe, which could resolve that if that is the issue.

All I'm saying is to simply discount them without actually checking them means you may be looking in the wrong area when something you thought was OK isn't. I used to be an electronics tech troubleshooting issues, and one thing I learned after many hours of chasing my tail is, nothing is out of bounds so far as the cause of the issue until it's verified that it isn't. My point still stands, if this was an issue with the update itself, everyone would be having the issues you and some others are. The fact that it isn't more widespread points to something specific to your hardware, environment, or setup. It could even be some corrupted data from the previous ROM or this one, and if it's from this one, even a FDR may not resolve it since the current ROM itself would be corrupted.

The fact that you didn't have a compatibility issue before the update is meaningless, since you're on a newer version of the OS. What may not have been a compatibility issue in KK maybe a compatibility issue in LP. I've read of people saying certain apps aren't working the same as they were on KK, so apparently not all of these apps have been updated for LP. The only way to really know for sure if it's an issue with a third party app would be to do a FDR, then see how it runs without any third party apps. Then slowly getting to add them and see if/when you start seeing the issue again.

I'm just saying don't discount anything, I've done that in the past and I ended up wasting time and effort because of it.
    07-08-2015 09:28 PM
    i am another one that had amazing battery life before the update.

hopefully it is something that can be corrected.
    07-08-2015 10:20 PM
    I was having very bad battery life but after I deleted FB messenger and FOX Business app. All is fine even a little better than what it was with KK. But neither one was showing up on the battery.
    07-08-2015 10:49 PM
    How in the world do you have your screen on for just over 3 hours, but the phone has only been held awake for less than 90 seconds? My awake time is usually a few minutes more than my screen on time, so I am baffled how you have such a huge discrepancy. Be definition, if the screen is on, the phone is awake! What am I missing?
    It was over a 3 day holiday where I was real busy. Only checked it once in awhile the whole weekend. So for the most part it just set on table. Made a few calls, checked headlines and weather a bit. But that's about it. I'm just pass D because I used to use Tasker to shut off 4g and background data when the screen timed out as a trigger. Then when it woke up reconnect. That alone usually got me 2 days. Now Tasker won't do it with lollipop. So now I get about 12-16 hours. BIG FREAKING DIFFERENCE.
    07-09-2015 12:39 AM
    It was over a 3 day holiday where I was real busy. Only checked it once in awhile the whole weekend. So for the most part it just set on table.
    Ok, but that still doesn't explain how the awake time is so different from screen time. They should be very close to each other. If the screen is on, it's awake. Yours was on for three hours, but awake for 90 seconds. Doesn't seem right.

Sent with Turbo speed!
    07-09-2015 12:42 AM
    For some reason without changing anything, in kit kat I'd get about 2 days with screen, cell stby and v calls being the highest users. Now on lollipop I'm lucky to get 36 hours and the top consumers are the Google app(now) and Google play services. Very annoying.
    07-09-2015 06:37 AM
    My battery life seemed to be better after the update, but I was puzzled to see this pop up today.
    Attached Thumbnails DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-1436442067276.jpg  
    07-09-2015 07:42 AM
    Ok, but that still doesn't explain how the awake time is so different from screen time. They should be very close to each other. If the screen is on, it's awake. Yours was on for three hours, but awake for 90 seconds. Doesn't seem right.

Sent with Turbo speed!
    That Gsam screen isn't measuring awake time - it's measuring time that a background app is holding the phone awake. That's a little different. (Right now gsam says my phone has screen on time of 28 minutes and held awake of 17 minutes.)

Real awake time is slightly more than screen on time most of the time, because background processes will wake the phone to get updates when the screen is off.
    07-09-2015 07:59 AM
    I did a factory reset right after the update and my battery life has been incredible ever since. Far better than on KitKat. Here is my usage from yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-2194.jpg   DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-2195.jpg   DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-2193.jpg  
    07-09-2015 09:08 AM
    Here is my most recent experience: Woke up yesterday at 6:30, took phone off turbo charger w/ battery at 100%. Used the phone during the day for GPS, streaming audio, email, web surfing. Went to bed approx 10:30 am last night, battery was exactly at 50% left, left phone off of charger. Woke up today at 6:30, battery life was at 25%.

I was surprised that the battery used up 25% of the juice overnight when no apps updated and limited emails came in over the course of 8 hours. But, in the end, I really can't complain. Battery life appears to be around 32-36 hours. Hope this keeps up and/or improves!
    07-09-2015 10:11 AM
129 1234 ...