DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lollipop battery drain

FDR only slightly helped. I still find the drain to be terrible. I was really hoping this wouldn't be a Droid Maxx all over again. The move from 4.3 to 4.4 then lastly 4.4.4 for the Maxx saw battery life decline with each update.

Still love the phone, but very disappointed in the battery life.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Is it possible that those of you with worse battery life are just using the device more since the update? I know the first 4 or 5 days I had the Turbo on testing out apps and settings way more than before, so of course my battery went down quicker. The last few days being back at work and using it the same as before the update the battery life is much better.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

In my example it was 9 hours.
15% battery loss while idling for 9 hours.

Last night it was 11% over 8 hours, so it is improving. Still seems high, though.

Others have said to give it a week "to let it settle in." What exactly does a new OS do to require a battery to condition itself?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I know I haven't. Can't say about anyone else. Maybe the first day yes because I had to figure things out. But not really since then. I pretty much live in a weak 4g signal area. I used to use Tasker to shut down my 4g signal when my screen timed out. That would actually use a lot of battery life. Now I can't do that and it's Verizon fault. I spoke with someone in tier 2 tech support and they admitted it was a Verizon feature request. It doesn't work that way on my Nexus lte tablet. They also set it up so you can't use Tasker to shut down background sync. I used to use 3-5 %battery overnight but now it's 12-15%. Which makes me wonder how much extra data I'm using. I think we are going to see a few posts about people going over data limits. But I think Verizon figured that in to these feature changes.

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

Battery life seems to be the same or improved on my Turbo 64gb. Caveat, I had to perform a factory reset due to an issue after updating.

As an example of the battery life, 7 hours after removing the phone from the turbo charger I have 80% battery remaining. Battery stats in Settings estimate 23 hours of juice remaining. Used Waze and Audible for 45 minutes driving into work, no wifi since removing from charger and limited 4G coverage.

If this keeps up, I'll be plenty satisfied.

UPDATE: Definitely spoke too soon! Battery has been averaging 16 hours from full charge which is half of what I was previously getting! Performing cache wipe as I type...

Last edited:

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
After five days on Lollipop my battery life is about the same as before, maybe slightly better. I know stand by time is better. Also, before it was common for me to have an app or service go rogue and drain the battery. But I haven't had that with L. So overall my battery and phone overall are more stable now.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Nope. Using the same, and even some days less. I was traveling for 6 hours on Monday, so my phone was idle for most of it and I still was down to 60% by the time I got home. Today I have 27 minutes of SOT, been off the charger for 6 hours, and am down to 80% already. Top drains, Google Play Services at 4%, Chrome at 3%, Cell Standby at 3% and Screen at 2%, followed by Android OS, Android System and Wifi.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I only got the update this morning (Google Now whiffed on updating THAT research topic - didn't even know it was coming!). I immediately powered off, fully charged up, cleared the cache partition, and rebooted.

I'm barely using the phone, and it is projecting only 13 hours of battery life from the full charge. That's right - almost no use, and its losing ~7.5% per hour. And I'm on wifi. Screen only on for 25 minutes out of 3.5 hours (auto-brightness), and I'm down to 74%...

I assume it will get better over the next few days - I presume, but don't know, that there is more optimizing and crap going on in the background right now than there will be a few days hence. But this isn't "off to a good start."

WingsFan87

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Yeah battery life is much worse after the update. Same usage yet my battery dies before I make it to the end of the day. Prior I was able to go almost 2 days before having to charge.

I tried the cache clear but that hasn't helped either. KitKat my battery life was fine but this update battery life is horrible. Not really happy with that. I thought Lollipop was supposed to have improvement to battery life?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Mine has been either the same or maybe a little better. I did a factory reset after installing, and i usually give it a week after pulling a big update out of the air before i really check. However, i didn't notice it get any worse, just nit much better but thats ok because i was making through the really long days just fine..

Posted via the Android Central App

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My usage/awake drain is about on par with K, but stand-by and idle time is definitely better than it was, leading to an overall slight improvement.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I only got the update this morning (Google Now whiffed on updating THAT research topic - didn't even know it was coming!). I immediately powered off, fully charged up, cleared the cache partition, and rebooted.

I'm barely using the phone, and it is projecting only 13 hours of battery life from the full charge. That's right - almost no use, and its losing ~7.5% per hour. And I'm on wifi. Screen only on for 25 minutes out of 3.5 hours (auto-brightness), and I'm down to 74%...

I assume it will get better over the next few days - I presume, but don't know, that there is more optimizing and crap going on in the background right now than there will be a few days hence. But this isn't "off to a good start."

What's your signal like. Check it in the settings and report the dBm value. Low signal or rogue apps are usually the reason for high battery drain. I'd say the fact that some are doing incredibly well in terms of battery life while others aren't points to either a setup issue (certain apps or settings causing the issue) or environmental issue (signal level due to location). If it was an inherent issue with the update, then logically everyone would be having issues. Everonmental issues would be easier to diagnose, since there is an almost infinite combination of apps and settings that could cause issues. It could possibly be a hardware issue as well, depending on how many charge cycles the battery has been put through, or if the battery was somehow damaged.

My battery life has improved after the update, but I'm not getting the screen on time of some members here. I think the best I ever got was around 6 hours shortly after I got the device.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
What's your signal like. Check it in the settings and report the dBm value. Low signal or rogue apps are usually the reason for high battery drain. I'd say the fact that some are doing incredibly well in terms of battery life while others aren't points to either a setup issue (certain apps or settings causing the issue) or environmental issue (signal level due to location). If it was an inherent issue with the update, then logically everyone would be having issues. Everonmental issues would be easier to diagnose, since there is an almost infinite combination of apps and settings that could cause issues. It could possibly be a hardware issue as well, depending on how many charge cycles the battery has been put through, or if the battery was somehow damaged.

My battery life has improved after the update, but I'm not getting the screen on time of some members here. I think the best I ever got was around 6 hours shortly after I got the device.

It's not like I haven't had the phone for 7 months. I know how the battery should perform - and more importantly, how it performed yesterday. ;-)

It's not hardware - degradation like this doesn't happen overnight and coincidentally to an update.

And its not signal - I have 5 bars, -85dBm 55 asu. And I've been on wifi the whole day.

My top offenders are screen, Play Services, and Android OS. No other apps or services are above 1%.

Does that mean it is "the update"? No - it could be a compatibility issue in an app, sure. But it was an incompatibility I didn't have yesterday, when I easily got 36 hours out of a charge -- not 13.

But it also seems to be a fairly common complaint that Google Play Services is killing batteries left and right after the update. Mine is just another data point.

Newdroid122

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

I haven't been using any more than normal. And yea I know it's just been a week but when I can't get through the day any longer it's a big Change

Posted via the Android Central App

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I am hoping we get root to switch back to kk. If not I'm gonna have to switch soon
I used to go 40 hrs plus and now it's 12 if I'm lucky

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Those were the days.........

I keep on screen time was low on that one but just an example of what I'm used to getting if I chose to.

Attachments

• 1436387456611.jpg
    1436387456611.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 60

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Google Play Services would often kill my battery for the last six weeks before the update. Now it's still up there on the list but nowhere near the drain it was before.

mahers

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Those were the days.........

I keep on screen time was low on that one but just an example of what I'm used to getting if I chose to.

How in the world do you have your screen on for just over 3 hours, but the phone has only been held awake for less than 90 seconds? My awake time is usually a few minutes more than my screen on time, so I am baffled how you have such a huge discrepancy. Be definition, if the screen is on, the phone is awake! What am I missing?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you're having battery issues like that I'd seriously consider trying a factory data reset and set up the phone again.

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
My battery has been about the same, if not better. I did the update on 7/3. Cleared the cache and fully charged. Haven't charged it since (here we are 5 days later) and I'm at 28%. I'm used to getting about 5 days (mild-moderate use, mostly texting and phone calls, some camera usage), so I've not noticed any decline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital