08-03-2015 05:26 PM
129 12345 ...
tools
    Here is my most recent experience: Woke up yesterday at 6:30, took phone off turbo charger w/ battery at 100%. Used the phone during the day for GPS, streaming audio, email, web surfing. Went to bed approx 10:30 am last night, battery was exactly at 50% left, left phone off of charger. Woke up today at 6:30, battery life was at 25%.

I was surprised that the battery used up 25% of the juice overnight when no apps updated and limited emails came in over the course of 8 hours. But, in the end, I really can't complain. Battery life appears to be around 32-36 hours. Hope this keeps up and/or improves!
    That overnight discharge is very high. On K, my phone would typically drop 6-8% overnight. With L, its more along the lines of 3-6%.
    07-09-2015 10:35 AM
    It was over a 3 day holiday where I was real busy. Only checked it once in awhile the whole weekend. So for the most part it just set on table. Made a few calls, checked headlines and weather a bit. But that's about it. I'm just pass D because I used to use Tasker to shut off 4g and background data when the screen timed out as a trigger. Then when it woke up reconnect. That alone usually got me 2 days. Now Tasker won't do it with lollipop. So now I get about 12-16 hours. BIG FREAKING DIFFERENCE.
    So, what you're saying is you don't really use your phone? If you have Tasker shut, in essence, everything off when the phone times out then you aren't getting calls or updates. Granted use the phone as you see fit, but most use it to actually stay connected. I don't think your usage or battery life previous to L is really one that was 'real world compatible' for a vast majority of people.
    Revolutionary likes this.
    07-09-2015 10:40 AM
    I've got to move some media over tonight but plan to FDR tonight and see if that helps.
    07-09-2015 10:40 AM
    If you have Tasker shut, in essence, everything off when the phone times out then you aren't getting calls or updates.
    Shutting off data will not shut off incoming phone calls - they can still come in on CDMA. Same for SMS (but not MMS - that needs mobile data.)

I agree that the usage pattern is unusually light for the average smartphone user these days, but that's what's great about these devices - they can be used as aggressively as a laptop or as light as a feature phone, all from the same device. To each his own.
    07-09-2015 11:04 AM
    I've got to move some media over tonight but plan to FDR tonight and see if that helps.
    I might be headed to a FDR tonight as well. Yesterday, after 20 hours use (phone was charged and I unplugged at midnight) I had "only" 33% battery left. This was after 3 hours 45 min. of screen on time (35%). The processes that used the most juice?:

Phone radio 15%
    WiFi Active 13%
    Phone 5%

Android System 9.7%
    Kernel (Android) 6.7%
    Google Play 2.4%
    System 1.8%
    07-09-2015 11:25 AM
    Well, my second piece of advice is always plug in your phone overnight and unplug when you wake up - you'll have a fully charged phone when you start the day. Charge when you drive if the battery % left is less than, say, 80%. Charge when you are sitting at your desk for a while if the charge is that low, too. Lithium ion batteries work better with lots of smaller charges than a smaller number of big charges.
    07-09-2015 11:30 AM
    That overnight discharge is very high. On K, my phone would typically drop 6-8% overnight. With L, its more along the lines of 3-6%.
    That was my first reaction too. I was trying to look on the bright side but I'm really not sure what to think of this.
    07-09-2015 11:36 AM
    Well, my second piece of advice is always plug in your phone overnight and unplug when you wake up - you'll have a fully charged phone when you start the day.
    This is good advice since you will always have a charged phone to start off the day.

Charge when you drive if the battery % left is less than, say, 80%. Charge when you are sitting at your desk for a while if the charge is that low, too. Lithium ion batteries work better with lots of smaller charges than a smaller number of big charges.
    Yes, I am headed in this direction. Never needed to do so with Kit Kat, though. According to GSAM my average time between charges used to be 2 days, 1 hour. Now it is 1 day 22 hours, but realize that number has been dropping since Lollipop. And the history goes back to mid-January.
    07-09-2015 11:38 AM
    My issues seem to have resolved themselves. The OS and Play Services must have been up to something in the background.

Currently at 5.5 hours off charge, 35 minutes screen on, 88% remaining. That's on track with - perhaps a tad better than - performance prior to the update. I'll get through tomorrow easily at this rate. I don't need to, but I like knowing I can.
    07-09-2015 02:08 PM
    I loved my Turbo until I installed the update. My phone used to last 24-36 hours and now it's less than 12. This is a major problem.
    07-09-2015 02:56 PM
    I still think this is the plan from big red. People like me used tasker to shut down data and background data at night. this saved my battery and data also. Now they take away that option. the end result is going to be people going over date plans and being forced to upgrade them, and battery life of the phones is shortened because you have to charge them more. It will over time get big red money, and screw us. So if they want to play this game i will start using as much data as possible. Im really sick of this and being treated this way. If i didnt have an unlimited plan still i would switch to anyone else. I have talked to several different techs over the last couple days and they have no clue. The funny thing is i can still shut down my 4g signal and background data with Tasker on my nexus 9. So dont feed me a line its a 5.0 or motorola feature. Im just really pissed about the line of bs they expect us to swallow. Im even more pissed that I felt like I had a top of the line phone and now its no better than any others out there. Im done ranting.
    Davidoo likes this.
    07-09-2015 04:15 PM
    I still think this is the plan from big red. People like me used tasker to shut down data and background data at night. this saved my battery and data also. Now they take away that option. the end result is going to be people going over date plans and being forced to upgrade them, and battery life of the phones is shortened because you have to charge them more. It will over time get big red money, and screw us. So if they want to play this game i will start using as much data as possible. Im really sick of this and being treated this way. If i didnt have an unlimited plan still i would switch to anyone else. I have talked to several different techs over the last couple days and they have no clue. The funny thing is i can still shut down my 4g signal and background data with Tasker on my nexus 9. So dont feed me a line its a 5.0 or motorola feature. Im just really pissed about the line of bs they expect us to swallow. Im even more pissed that I felt like I had a top of the line phone and now its no better than any others out there. Im done ranting.
    That's quite the conspiracy theory. You can still turn that stuff off manually. I do it all of the time (when I go running, as I tend to run in places with poor coverage so keeping data on drains battery faster.) The Turbo has a huge battery - surely it can get you through a day easily even with mobile data turned on?

(I'm on a 10 GB family plan with 4 smartphones and three iPads and we haven't gone over our plan since my daughter moved into a new apartment and used the iPad as a hotspot until the cable internet was installed, and that was when the plan was at 4 GB.)
    07-09-2015 04:31 PM
    That's quite the conspiracy theory. You can still turn that stuff off manually. I do it all of the time (when I go running, as I tend to run in places with poor coverage so keeping data on drains battery faster.) The Turbo has a huge battery - surely it can get you through a day easily even with mobile data turned on?

(I'm on a 10 GB family plan with 4 smartphones and three iPads and we haven't gone over our plan since my daughter moved into a new apartment and used the iPad as a hotspot until the cable internet was installed, and that was when the plan was at 4 GB.)
    You might think its a conspiracy theory. But why else would big red remove this feature but not other providers. Meaning at&t, sprint, us cellular. What other reason would there be for big red to make this request. A level 2 tech admitted to me they had made the request. It wasnt a motorola or google decision.

And yes i am aware you can still shut these things off. I have done that at night but still lose alot of battery. I used to use 2-5% but now even with that all shut off the way we can now lose around 15%.

I regularly use over 10 gb myself monthly. Mostly gaming and video.

The issue is I live in a weak 4g area. I barely get 1 bar, and my signal strenght is about -115. So for me thats the biggest culprit.

Anyways im done with this. Gonna look at a Nexus 6. Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.
    07-09-2015 04:47 PM
    My issues seem to have resolved themselves. The OS and Play Services must have been up to something in the background.

Currently at 5.5 hours off charge, 35 minutes screen on, 88% remaining. That's on track with - perhaps a tad better than - performance prior to the update. I'll get through tomorrow easily at this rate. I don't need to, but I like knowing I can.
    Noticed something similar myself. Today battery usage is much more like before, if not a touch better.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    07-09-2015 10:53 PM
    i did a factor reset and it seems to have made my battery back to normal.

all should try that.
    07-09-2015 10:56 PM
    What are you all doing to get that much? I go into battery, and it says I will be dead from a 100% charge with only 4 processes running in 4 hours. This is horrible!!!
    07-10-2015 07:18 AM
    I. .
    07-10-2015 07:22 AM
    I'm not generally a heavy user but I used internet, made a few texts, a few phone calls and 24 hours later I'm at 66%. I meant to check the percent when I went to bed but forgot but I'm sure it was in the 70's. I've only had mine a month but I'm happy with battery life.
    07-10-2015 07:34 AM
    All right I will eat my words. This is from last night to this morning. I set the data off and set restrict background data to on. Calls and texts come thru but as you can see battery loss is minimal. I've ranted about the battery since the update and this is much better.
    Attached Thumbnails DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-1436534577202.jpg  
    07-10-2015 09:25 AM
    Here's my recent usage. One of my better runs so far (not surprising considering I've been on WiFi the whole time).
    Attached Thumbnails DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-1436545394490.jpg   DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-1436545406058.jpg  
    07-10-2015 12:23 PM
    Here's my recent usage. One of my better runs so far (not surprising considering I've been on WiFi the whole time).
    Very nice
    07-10-2015 01:53 PM
    I might be headed to a FDR tonight as well. Yesterday, after 20 hours use (phone was charged and I unplugged at midnight) I had "only" 33% battery left. This was after 3 hours 45 min. of screen on time (35%). The processes that used the most juice?:

Phone radio 15%
    WiFi Active 13%
    Phone 5%

Android System 9.7%
    Kernel (Android) 6.7%
    Google Play 2.4%
    System 1.8%
    I did a cache wipe last night then charged the phone completely and removed from charger at 11:30 pm and let it idle overnight. 10 hours later it was at 91% charge, That's only 0.9% per hour. That's more like it. Those 4 Android processes are still taking about 20% of the battery usage. Will continue to monitor it.
    07-10-2015 01:59 PM
    When I first did the update my battery was no better and probably a little worse. So I cleared cache but did not do a FDR. The last 2 days, however, my battery is better. Very Strange, although I know some people believe that it takes a few days for the phone to settle in.
    07-10-2015 02:16 PM
    There's times I will switch the signal to 3g due to weak 4g signal in my area. I use an app called lte on/off from the app store.
    07-10-2015 02:40 PM
    Worst day so far on the battery. 12 hours off the charger. 2.5 hours SOT. 18% left. My "wake time" wasn't really any different than normal. My 1st gen Moto X was the same if not a little better than this. I'm pretty sure I'm doing an FDR tomorrow. "Mediaservice" was a bigger drain on my battery than the screen for parts of the day.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-10-2015 05:04 PM
129 12345 ...