08-03-2015 04:26 PM
129 ... 3456
tools
    Keep us updated please. Curious to see results. Thanks.
    After 26 hours, 31 minutes I am at 35% battery remaining. That's with 59 minutes of phone use, total of 3 hr. 31 minutes screen time (I'm at about 35% brightness, not using adaptive brightness.)

App Usage, Top Five
    1. Android System 10.9%
    2. Kernel (Android OS) 5.6%
    3. 1Weather 3.4% (Great app, used more battery because updates were set to 15 minutes; have since set to 1 hour.)
    4. Google Play 2.4%
    5. Email 2.1% (probably need to adjust update times.)

Those Android OS share of the battery is steadily decreasing. I guess that's what people mean when they say the phone needs to "settle in" for a week.

Overall, battery life is definitely improved since I did the factory reset, but not where I was at before the OS upgrade. I haven't disabled a bunch of apps yet, like I did with Kit Kat. With typical use I could go two full days on Kit Kat and be down to about 15% remaining when I plugged it in going to bed on day #2. I don't think I'll get that this time around, but we'll see.
    07-16-2015 12:27 PM
    After 30 hours, 55 minutes, I'm down to 17% battery remaining. That's 1 hour 17 min. phone use, screen on time of 4 hours 52 min. I'm going to disable a bunch of apps, recharge and try it again.
    07-16-2015 04:41 PM
    What is your 4g signal strength? I have really bad coverage. Usually my signal is about - 115 to - 120. Which is the biggest drain on my battery.
    07-16-2015 05:04 PM
    What is your 4g signal strength? I have really bad coverage. Usually my signal is about - 115 to - 120. Which is the biggest drain on my battery.
    Signal Strength = -99dBm.
    07-16-2015 06:16 PM
    Signal Strength = -99dBm.
    Lucky
    07-16-2015 06:18 PM
    Lucky
    I've been walking around my house checking it and I've seen -99, -107 and -109.
    07-16-2015 08:20 PM
    Feel grateful. The numbers I posted earlier are the biggest drain on my battery. I use to go 3 days easy, there are screen shots in the battery life thread. Now if I leave 4g on I barely get 12 hours.
    07-16-2015 09:14 PM
    Feel grateful. The numbers I posted earlier are the biggest drain on my battery. I use to go 3 days easy, there are screen shots in the battery life thread. Now if I leave 4g on I barely get 12 hours.
    I guess I'm not quite understanding your dilemma. Earlier in this thread you said: " I used to use Tasker to shut down my 4g signal when my screen timed out. That would actually use a lot of battery life. Now I can't do that and it's Verizon fault."

How is this Verizon's fault? It's a by product of Google's implementation of Lollipop. Isn't this what you are talking about?:

https://code.google.com/p/android/is...sort=&id=78084

Anyway, I suppose you will have to manually shut off data at night, for starters.
    07-16-2015 10:13 PM
    When I checked with a buddy that works at Verizon he asked around and said it was a feature that Verizon had requested from Google . And a couple tier 2 guys admitted it also. I have a Nexus 9 lte. It has 5.1.1 not rooted. Tasker works just fine on that. So it leads me to believe this is a tweak/feature that big red requested.
    07-16-2015 10:54 PM
    When I checked with a buddy that works at Verizon he asked around and said it was a feature that Verizon had requested from Verizon. And a couple tier 2 guys admitted it also. I have a Nexus 9 lte. It has 5.1.1 not rooted. Tasker works just fine on that. So it leads me to believe this is a tweak/feature that big red requested.
    So you believe only Verizon branded devices upgraded to Lollipop have lost the ability for apps to control data connections?
    07-16-2015 11:12 PM
    I'm on track for two days of usage but I got a replacement phone (with a fresh battery) and I think some people may have batteries that are going bad if there are no apps that are secretly draining your juice. It doesn't hurt to go into a Verizon store and show them how horrible your battery is with proof of the results and try to get a free hardware replacement, it was easy for me to do at my Verizon store. Also I usually have a -107dBm or worse signal.

Anyway I'm enjoying my replacement:
    DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-screenshot_2015-07-16-22-02-50.jpg
    DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-screenshot_2015-07-16-22-41-08.jpg
    07-17-2015 12:21 AM
    So you believe only Verizon branded devices upgraded to Lollipop have lost the ability for apps to control data connections?
    OH I have no idea if it's only Verizon. I have nexus 9 on AT&T and Tasker works. I need to get a Verizon sim card and put it in there and see what happens. But I have no idea if only big red devices do this. I just know what I've been able to find out.
    07-17-2015 08:46 AM
    Battery question. I downloaded and installed Lollipop on Saturday afternoon. Charged my phone overnight on Saturday. Played around with it a moderate amount on Sunday. Went to bed last night around 11:00 o'clock and noticed phone charge was at 50%. When I looked at my phone around 8:00 this morning, charge was at 35%, meaning it lost 15% charge idling overnight.

Is this normal? Because I don't remember the battery losing 15% overnight with Kit Kat.
    07-18-2015 10:12 AM
    I can offer another testimonial for the battery life improvement to be gained by clearing the cache partition. Granted, I'm not a high-usage type and I didn't take empirical measurements for the before/after comparison, but the improvement was quite noticeable and very welcome. As others have suggested, I generally charge/top-off the battery every night, but it's nice to know that in a pinch I will be able to last well into the second day.

Thanks to all the comments/responses in this thread. Very helpful to hear the feedback/suggestions.
    07-18-2015 07:16 PM
    even with cache wipe kk definetly got better battery life than lollipop, by alot
    07-19-2015 02:15 PM
    since L i had to uninstall and disable google now launcher and google app, so I have NO google searching unless I open chrome...it sucks and it was fine on KK, but since L google app was using more than anything all of a sudden
    07-19-2015 02:16 PM
    A quick update on my Turbo battery life. After updating to Lollipop, my battery life dipped from 32 hours down to 18 hours. Performed a cache wipe a couple days ago and battery life is markedly improved. Charged battery this morning up to 92% and, after 5 hours 30 minutes (all on a weak 4G signal, limited use/mostly on standby), phone has 41 hours remaining. Granted, that is with about 3 minutes of screen-on time but that's a huge improvement over what it was. On standby I'm using just over 2%/hour compared to before the cache wipe where the phone was using 5.8%/hour.
    07-20-2015 02:05 PM
    After 26 hours, 31 minutes I am at 35% battery remaining. That's with 59 minutes of phone use, total of 3 hr. 31 minutes screen time (I'm at about 35% brightness, not using adaptive brightness.)

App Usage, Top Five
    1. Android System 10.9%
    2. Kernel (Android OS) 5.6%
    3. 1Weather 3.4% (Great app, used more battery because updates were set to 15 minutes; have since set to 1 hour.)
    4. Google Play 2.4%
    5. Email 2.1% (probably need to adjust update times.)

Those Android OS share of the battery is steadily decreasing. I guess that's what people mean when they say the phone needs to "settle in" for a week.

Overall, battery life is definitely improved since I did the factory reset, but not where I was at before the OS upgrade. I haven't disabled a bunch of apps yet, like I did with Kit Kat. With typical use I could go two full days on Kit Kat and be down to about 15% remaining when I plugged it in going to bed on day #2. I don't think I'll get that this time around, but we'll see.
    Are you optimizing in any way? I cannot get more than a day if I am using my phone much. My best day may have been 3 hours of SOT. I have done an FDR and disabled a lot of VZ apps. I just installed the latest system update and it optimized 109 apps, so I don't have that many apps either. I don't want to have to shut off things to get better battery life. I want to be able to use my phone as is and see the battery life as promised. I don't expect 2 days, but barely making it 16 hours seems too low.

Thanks!
    07-21-2015 11:35 AM
    Granted, I've not used my phone very much the last day and a half. Unplugged yesterday around 7:30 am. I've made a couple dozen texts, used the internet a bit and received a couple calls. I'm at 78%.
    07-21-2015 04:15 PM
    Are you optimizing in any way? I cannot get more than a day if I am using my phone much. My best day may have been 3 hours of SOT. I have done an FDR and disabled a lot of VZ apps. I just installed the latest system update and it optimized 109 apps, so I don't have that many apps either. I don't want to have to shut off things to get better battery life. I want to be able to use my phone as is and see the battery life as promised. I don't expect 2 days, but barely making it 16 hours seems too low.

Thanks!
    Not sure what you mean by optimizing. I disabled a bunch of apps. When the system update was downloaded and installed it optimized 125 apps. I"m getting about 30 hours until I'm down to 20% or so, not as good as with Kit Kat, where I'd easily get over 40 hours.

With Kit Kat I was using AutoMateIt to shut off my wifi and turn on bluetooth whenever I left the house (turn on wifi, shut off bluetooth when I got back home.) That little tweak saved about 5% battery life over 40 hours. But that function no longer works with Lollipop, so bluetooth and wifi are always on now.

I've been taking screenshots just bafore I charge it. After I've got a bunch of screenshots with various SOT and apps usage I'll post some of them.
    07-21-2015 04:53 PM
    After a little more time to see how battery life does after the update I've noticed that it has been a little more inconsistent than it was in KitKat. The first few days after the update it was about the same. I did a cache wipe and charged fully and got great battery for about a week. Then I noticed the idle drain was increasing. Definitely notice a different from KitKat to Lollipop. Got better usage in KitKat. Still, I've got a decent battery. The biggest drain is Android System and Google services. A little disappointing, but not a huge deal. Maybe there will be a fix at some point. Clearly it's not just a few people having problems. Hopefully they'll isolate and rectify the problem.
    07-21-2015 07:29 PM
    Not sure what you mean by optimizing. I disabled a bunch of apps. When the system update was downloaded and installed it optimized 125 apps. I"m getting about 30 hours until I'm down to 20% or so, not as good as with Kit Kat, where I'd easily get over 40 hours.

With Kit Kat I was using AutoMateIt to shut off my wifi and turn on bluetooth whenever I left the house (turn on wifi, shut off bluetooth when I got back home.) That little tweak saved about 5% battery life over 40 hours. But that function no longer works with Lollipop, so bluetooth and wifi are always on now.

I've been taking screenshots just bafore I charge it. After I've got a bunch of screenshots with various SOT and apps usage I'll post some of them.
    So, I guess to clarify, the optimizing I was referring to is shutting off a bunch of features of the phone. I saw some videos about how to get great battery life, but shut off all the phone features, like Moto Display, Moto Voice, CDMA instead of Global, etc. Would you be willing to share what apps you disabled? I am on wifi most of my day, b/c I have it at work and home. Maybe the phone is dying because of the search for cell network while on wifi (my strength at my desk is-96 to -107dBM on 4G)?
    07-22-2015 08:28 AM
    I did a cache partition wipe and have seen only marginal, if any battery life improvement. The only way to get my phone to last the day is to keep the screen brightness at less than 1/4, which makes it nearly unusable in daylight. I guess the next step is to factory reset and start all over, again, with this phone. Love the phone, love the update, but I need the phone to last from 7AM to midnight, like it always has with no problem, without shutting off everything I love about it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-22-2015 09:59 AM
    So, I guess to clarify, the optimizing I was referring to is shutting off a bunch of features of the phone. I saw some videos about how to get great battery life, but shut off all the phone features, like Moto Display, Moto Voice, CDMA instead of Global, etc. Would you be willing to share what apps you disabled? I am on wifi most of my day, b/c I have it at work and home. Maybe the phone is dying because of the search for cell network while on wifi (my strength at my desk is-96 to -107dBM on 4G)?
    I have about the same signal strength as you do (pre and post Lollipop) so I don't think that's the issue.

Here are the apps I've disabled: I've had most of the Amazon apps disabled in the past but I've been using them a bit of late, so they are active.

DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-disabled-app-072215.jpg

DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?-disabled-app2-072215.jpg

You should take a look at this post for apps that other people have disabled.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...k-disable.html
    07-22-2015 09:59 AM
    Noticed something similar myself. Today battery usage is much more like before, if not a touch better.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    Figured I should update this thread with my experience after 2 weeks in the update. My battery life is better than its ever been on this phone. Easily. I'm at 50% at then end of most days, where I would usually end the day at 30% or 25% prior to the update. I dig it.
    hub1 likes this.
    07-24-2015 07:34 AM
129 ... 3456