DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Keep us updated please. Curious to see results. Thanks.

After 26 hours, 31 minutes I am at 35% battery remaining. That's with 59 minutes of phone use, total of 3 hr. 31 minutes screen time (I'm at about 35% brightness, not using adaptive brightness.)

App Usage, Top Five
1. Android System 10.9%
2. Kernel (Android OS) 5.6%
3. 1Weather 3.4% (Great app, used more battery because updates were set to 15 minutes; have since set to 1 hour.)
4. Google Play 2.4%
5. Email 2.1% (probably need to adjust update times.)

Those Android OS share of the battery is steadily decreasing. I guess that's what people mean when they say the phone needs to "settle in" for a week.

Overall, battery life is definitely improved since I did the factory reset, but not where I was at before the OS upgrade. I haven't disabled a bunch of apps yet, like I did with Kit Kat. With typical use I could go two full days on Kit Kat and be down to about 15% remaining when I plugged it in going to bed on day #2. I don't think I'll get that this time around, but we'll see.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
After 30 hours, 55 minutes, I'm down to 17% battery remaining. That's 1 hour 17 min. phone use, screen on time of 4 hours 52 min. I'm going to disable a bunch of apps, recharge and try it again.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
What is your 4g signal strength? I have really bad coverage. Usually my signal is about - 115 to - 120. Which is the biggest drain on my battery.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Feel grateful. The numbers I posted earlier are the biggest drain on my battery. I use to go 3 days easy, there are screen shots in the battery life thread. Now if I leave 4g on I barely get 12 hours.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Feel grateful. The numbers I posted earlier are the biggest drain on my battery. I use to go 3 days easy, there are screen shots in the battery life thread. Now if I leave 4g on I barely get 12 hours.

I guess I'm not quite understanding your dilemma. Earlier in this thread you said: " I used to use Tasker to shut down my 4g signal when my screen timed out. That would actually use a lot of battery life. Now I can't do that and it's Verizon fault."

How is this Verizon's fault? It's a by product of Google's implementation of Lollipop. Isn't this what you are talking about?:

https://code.google.com/p/android/i...s Owner Summary Stars&groupby=&sort=&id=78084

Anyway, I suppose you will have to manually shut off data at night, for starters.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
When I checked with a buddy that works at Verizon he asked around and said it was a feature that Verizon had requested from Google . And a couple tier 2 guys admitted it also. I have a Nexus 9 lte. It has 5.1.1 not rooted. Tasker works just fine on that. So it leads me to believe this is a tweak/feature that big red requested.

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
When I checked with a buddy that works at Verizon he asked around and said it was a feature that Verizon had requested from Verizon. And a couple tier 2 guys admitted it also. I have a Nexus 9 lte. It has 5.1.1 not rooted. Tasker works just fine on that. So it leads me to believe this is a tweak/feature that big red requested.

So you believe only Verizon branded devices upgraded to Lollipop have lost the ability for apps to control data connections?

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on track for two days of usage but I got a replacement phone (with a fresh battery) and I think some people may have batteries that are going bad if there are no apps that are secretly draining your juice. It doesn't hurt to go into a Verizon store and show them how horrible your battery is with proof of the results and try to get a free hardware replacement, it was easy for me to do at my Verizon store. Also I usually have a -107dBm or worse signal.

Anyway I'm enjoying my replacement:
Screenshot_2015-07-16-22-02-50.jpg
Screenshot_2015-07-16-22-41-08.jpg

Last edited:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So you believe only Verizon branded devices upgraded to Lollipop have lost the ability for apps to control data connections?

OH I have no idea if it's only Verizon. I have nexus 9 on AT&T and Tasker works. I need to get a Verizon sim card and put it in there and see what happens. But I have no idea if only big red devices do this. I just know what I've been able to find out.

Johnboys26

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: DROID TURBO 5.1: Battery Life after Lollipop Update?

Battery question. I downloaded and installed Lollipop on Saturday afternoon. Charged my phone overnight on Saturday. Played around with it a moderate amount on Sunday. Went to bed last night around 11:00 o'clock and noticed phone charge was at 50%. When I looked at my phone around 8:00 this morning, charge was at 35%, meaning it lost 15% charge idling overnight.

Is this normal? Because I don't remember the battery losing 15% overnight with Kit Kat.

swelljibes

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: DROID TURBO 5.1: Battery Life after Lollipop Update?

I can offer another testimonial for the battery life improvement to be gained by clearing the cache partition. Granted, I'm not a high-usage type and I didn't take empirical measurements for the before/after comparison, but the improvement was quite noticeable and very welcome. As others have suggested, I generally charge/top-off the battery every night, but it's nice to know that in a pinch I will be able to last well into the second day.

Thanks to all the comments/responses in this thread. Very helpful to hear the feedback/suggestions.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
since L i had to uninstall and disable google now launcher and google app, so I have NO google searching unless I open chrome...it sucks and it was fine on KK, but since L google app was using more than anything all of a sudden

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

A quick update on my Turbo battery life. After updating to Lollipop, my battery life dipped from 32 hours down to 18 hours. Performed a cache wipe a couple days ago and battery life is markedly improved. Charged battery this morning up to 92% and, after 5 hours 30 minutes (all on a weak 4G signal, limited use/mostly on standby), phone has 41 hours remaining. Granted, that is with about 3 minutes of screen-on time but that's a huge improvement over what it was. On standby I'm using just over 2%/hour compared to before the cache wipe where the phone was using 5.8%/hour.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
After 26 hours, 31 minutes I am at 35% battery remaining. That's with 59 minutes of phone use, total of 3 hr. 31 minutes screen time (I'm at about 35% brightness, not using adaptive brightness.)

App Usage, Top Five
1. Android System 10.9%
2. Kernel (Android OS) 5.6%
3. 1Weather 3.4% (Great app, used more battery because updates were set to 15 minutes; have since set to 1 hour.)
4. Google Play 2.4%
5. Email 2.1% (probably need to adjust update times.)

Those Android OS share of the battery is steadily decreasing. I guess that's what people mean when they say the phone needs to "settle in" for a week.

Overall, battery life is definitely improved since I did the factory reset, but not where I was at before the OS upgrade. I haven't disabled a bunch of apps yet, like I did with Kit Kat. With typical use I could go two full days on Kit Kat and be down to about 15% remaining when I plugged it in going to bed on day #2. I don't think I'll get that this time around, but we'll see.

Are you optimizing in any way? I cannot get more than a day if I am using my phone much. My best day may have been 3 hours of SOT. I have done an FDR and disabled a lot of VZ apps. I just installed the latest system update and it optimized 109 apps, so I don't have that many apps either. I don't want to have to shut off things to get better battery life. I want to be able to use my phone as is and see the battery life as promised. I don't expect 2 days, but barely making it 16 hours seems too low.

Thanks!

John_Thomas

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Granted, I've not used my phone very much the last day and a half. Unplugged yesterday around 7:30 am. I've made a couple dozen texts, used the internet a bit and received a couple calls. I'm at 78%.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you optimizing in any way? I cannot get more than a day if I am using my phone much. My best day may have been 3 hours of SOT. I have done an FDR and disabled a lot of VZ apps. I just installed the latest system update and it optimized 109 apps, so I don't have that many apps either. I don't want to have to shut off things to get better battery life. I want to be able to use my phone as is and see the battery life as promised. I don't expect 2 days, but barely making it 16 hours seems too low.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by optimizing. I disabled a bunch of apps. When the system update was downloaded and installed it optimized 125 apps. I"m getting about 30 hours until I'm down to 20% or so, not as good as with Kit Kat, where I'd easily get over 40 hours.

With Kit Kat I was using AutoMateIt to shut off my wifi and turn on bluetooth whenever I left the house (turn on wifi, shut off bluetooth when I got back home.) That little tweak saved about 5% battery life over 40 hours. But that function no longer works with Lollipop, so bluetooth and wifi are always on now.

I've been taking screenshots just bafore I charge it. After I've got a bunch of screenshots with various SOT and apps usage I'll post some of them.