DROID TURBO 5.1 Lollipop: Battery Life after Update?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's not like I haven't had the phone for 7 months. I know how the battery should perform - and more importantly, how it performed yesterday. ;-)

It's not hardware - degradation like this doesn't happen overnight and coincidentally to an update.

And its not signal - I have 5 bars, -85dBm 55 asu. And I've been on wifi the whole day.

My top offenders are screen, Play Services, and Android OS. No other apps or services are above 1%.

Does that mean it is "the update"? No - it could be a compatibility issue in an app, sure. But it was an incompatibility I didn't have yesterday, when I easily got 36 hours out of a charge -- not 13.

But it also seems to be a fairly common complaint that Google Play Services is killing batteries left and right after the update. Mine is just another data point.

I understand that most people here have owned this device for awhile now, but that doesn't mean that it still couldn't be one of those items. It could even be that your battery is not drawing much but the battery meter isn't reading correctly. I can't recall if you said you had done either a FDR or a cache partition wipe, which could resolve that if that is the issue.

All I'm saying is to simply discount them without actually checking them means you may be looking in the wrong area when something you thought was OK isn't. I used to be an electronics tech troubleshooting issues, and one thing I learned after many hours of chasing my tail is, nothing is out of bounds so far as the cause of the issue until it's verified that it isn't. My point still stands, if this was an issue with the update itself, everyone would be having the issues you and some others are. The fact that it isn't more widespread points to something specific to your hardware, environment, or setup. It could even be some corrupted data from the previous ROM or this one, and if it's from this one, even a FDR may not resolve it since the current ROM itself would be corrupted.

The fact that you didn't have a compatibility issue before the update is meaningless, since you're on a newer version of the OS. What may not have been a compatibility issue in KK maybe a compatibility issue in LP. I've read of people saying certain apps aren't working the same as they were on KK, so apparently not all of these apps have been updated for LP. The only way to really know for sure if it's an issue with a third party app would be to do a FDR, then see how it runs without any third party apps. Then slowly getting to add them and see if/when you start seeing the issue again.

I'm just saying don't discount anything, I've done that in the past and I ended up wasting time and effort because of it.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i am another one that had amazing battery life before the update.

hopefully it is something that can be corrected.

cooper_m22

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I was having very bad battery life but after I deleted FB messenger and FOX Business app. All is fine even a little better than what it was with KK. But neither one was showing up on the battery.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
How in the world do you have your screen on for just over 3 hours, but the phone has only been held awake for less than 90 seconds? My awake time is usually a few minutes more than my screen on time, so I am baffled how you have such a huge discrepancy. Be definition, if the screen is on, the phone is awake! What am I missing?

It was over a 3 day holiday where I was real busy. Only checked it once in awhile the whole weekend. So for the most part it just set on table. Made a few calls, checked headlines and weather a bit. But that's about it. I'm just pass D because I used to use Tasker to shut off 4g and background data when the screen timed out as a trigger. Then when it woke up reconnect. That alone usually got me 2 days. Now Tasker won't do it with lollipop. So now I get about 12-16 hours. BIG FREAKING DIFFERENCE.

mahers

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It was over a 3 day holiday where I was real busy. Only checked it once in awhile the whole weekend. So for the most part it just set on table.
Ok, but that still doesn't explain how the awake time is so different from screen time. They should be very close to each other. If the screen is on, it's awake. Yours was on for three hours, but awake for 90 seconds. Doesn't seem right.

Sent with Turbo speed!

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
For some reason without changing anything, in kit kat I'd get about 2 days with screen, cell stby and v calls being the highest users. Now on lollipop I'm lucky to get 36 hours and the top consumers are the Google app(now) and Google play services. Very annoying.

NoICon

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My battery life seemed to be better after the update, but I was puzzled to see this pop up today.

Attachments

• 1436442067276.jpg
    1436442067276.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 41

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, but that still doesn't explain how the awake time is so different from screen time. They should be very close to each other. If the screen is on, it's awake. Yours was on for three hours, but awake for 90 seconds. Doesn't seem right.

Sent with Turbo speed!

That Gsam screen isn't measuring awake time - it's measuring time that a background app is holding the phone awake. That's a little different. (Right now gsam says my phone has screen on time of 28 minutes and held awake of 17 minutes.)

Real awake time is slightly more than screen on time most of the time, because background processes will wake the phone to get updates when the screen is off.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I did a factory reset right after the update and my battery life has been incredible ever since. Far better than on KitKat. Here is my usage from yesterday.

Attachments

• 2194.jpg
    2194.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 2195.jpg
    2195.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 2193.jpg
    2193.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 109

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

Here is my most recent experience: Woke up yesterday at 6:30, took phone off turbo charger w/ battery at 100%. Used the phone during the day for GPS, streaming audio, email, web surfing. Went to bed approx 10:30 am last night, battery was exactly at 50% left, left phone off of charger. Woke up today at 6:30, battery life was at 25%.

I was surprised that the battery used up 25% of the juice overnight when no apps updated and limited emails came in over the course of 8 hours. But, in the end, I really can't complain. Battery life appears to be around 32-36 hours. Hope this keeps up and/or improves!

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Here is my most recent experience: Woke up yesterday at 6:30, took phone off turbo charger w/ battery at 100%. Used the phone during the day for GPS, streaming audio, email, web surfing. Went to bed approx 10:30 am last night, battery was exactly at 50% left, left phone off of charger. Woke up today at 6:30, battery life was at 25%.

I was surprised that the battery used up 25% of the juice overnight when no apps updated and limited emails came in over the course of 8 hours. But, in the end, I really can't complain. Battery life appears to be around 32-36 hours. Hope this keeps up and/or improves!

That overnight discharge is very high. On K, my phone would typically drop 6-8% overnight. With L, its more along the lines of 3-6%.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It was over a 3 day holiday where I was real busy. Only checked it once in awhile the whole weekend. So for the most part it just set on table. Made a few calls, checked headlines and weather a bit. But that's about it. I'm just pass D because I used to use Tasker to shut off 4g and background data when the screen timed out as a trigger. Then when it woke up reconnect. That alone usually got me 2 days. Now Tasker won't do it with lollipop. So now I get about 12-16 hours. BIG FREAKING DIFFERENCE.

So, what you're saying is you don't really use your phone? If you have Tasker shut, in essence, everything off when the phone times out then you aren't getting calls or updates. Granted use the phone as you see fit, but most use it to actually stay connected. I don't think your usage or battery life previous to L is really one that was 'real world compatible' for a vast majority of people.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you have Tasker shut, in essence, everything off when the phone times out then you aren't getting calls or updates.

Shutting off data will not shut off incoming phone calls - they can still come in on CDMA. Same for SMS (but not MMS - that needs mobile data.)

I agree that the usage pattern is unusually light for the average smartphone user these days, but that's what's great about these devices - they can be used as aggressively as a laptop or as light as a feature phone, all from the same device. To each his own.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've got to move some media over tonight but plan to FDR tonight and see if that helps.

I might be headed to a FDR tonight as well. Yesterday, after 20 hours use (phone was charged and I unplugged at midnight) I had "only" 33% battery left. This was after 3 hours 45 min. of screen on time (35%). The processes that used the most juice?:

Phone radio 15%
WiFi Active 13%
Phone 5%

Android System 9.7%
Kernel (Android) 6.7%
Google Play 2.4%
System 1.8%

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, my second piece of advice is always plug in your phone overnight and unplug when you wake up - you'll have a fully charged phone when you start the day. Charge when you drive if the battery % left is less than, say, 80%. Charge when you are sitting at your desk for a while if the charge is that low, too. Lithium ion batteries work better with lots of smaller charges than a smaller number of big charges.

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

That overnight discharge is very high. On K, my phone would typically drop 6-8% overnight. With L, its more along the lines of 3-6%.

That was my first reaction too. I was trying to look on the bright side but I'm really not sure what to think of this.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, my second piece of advice is always plug in your phone overnight and unplug when you wake up - you'll have a fully charged phone when you start the day.

This is good advice since you will always have a charged phone to start off the day.

Charge when you drive if the battery % left is less than, say, 80%. Charge when you are sitting at your desk for a while if the charge is that low, too. Lithium ion batteries work better with lots of smaller charges than a smaller number of big charges.

Yes, I am headed in this direction. Never needed to do so with Kit Kat, though. According to GSAM my average time between charges used to be 2 days, 1 hour. Now it is 1 day 22 hours, but realize that number has been dropping since Lollipop. And the history goes back to mid-January.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
My issues seem to have resolved themselves. The OS and Play Services must have been up to something in the background.

Currently at 5.5 hours off charge, 35 minutes screen on, 88% remaining. That's on track with - perhaps a tad better than - performance prior to the update. I'll get through tomorrow easily at this rate. I don't need to, but I like knowing I can.

Tom Vand

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I loved my Turbo until I installed the update. My phone used to last 24-36 hours and now it's less than 12. This is a major problem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12