Disappoionted in lollipop

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I was on the soak team, I let me opinion be known, I think lollipop is slow, does not seem to be as fluid as the last OS..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In general, or are there any specific processes that seem slow?

Hopefully, Verizon will push out some maintenance updates if the problems are widespread.

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I miss the ticker. This pop up static style over every app is bad. It's like Motorola Actions, they change things everybody likes never to be seen or even available for download again.

No option for the user to be in control of it. I feel like I have an Apple product without freedom.

There are cool parts to it, but I miss the things that should not have changed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm still getting used to the new top drop down menu, but overall I'm getting better battery life and my apps open faster so it is an improvement for me. I didn't use the guest user functions so I can't speak about that.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I find everything to be better on Lollipop. The only thing I don't like is the lag when opening the recent apps. It seems to take forever for the "x" to pop up so I can remove the recent app.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I find everything to be better on Lollipop. The only thing I don't like is the lag when opening the recent apps. It seems to take forever for the "x" to pop up so I can remove the recent app.

Just as a counter (not saying that it's ok for recent apps to be so slow), I'd suggest spending a day or two NOT closing apps from the recent apps screen - don't even open it - and see if there is a noticeable difference in battery life and/or performance. Seriously - Android (and iOS) are designed specifically so the user does not, and should not, be managing background apps. The OS should manage it for you just fine.

I know that there are times when background apps run away, but my experience has been those times are rare rather than common.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I have to chime in with the "likes". I was scared to death that Lollipop would ruin the Turbo, which is by far the greatest phone I've ever had. I did NOT like the way 5.1 felt on my Nexus 10.

Happy to say, though, that Lollipop has been fantastic. Faster, more fluid, battery life is as good or maybe even a tad bit better.

It's different, yes, in terms of notifications and other things, but change happens.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Just as a counter (not saying that it's ok for recent apps to be so slow), I'd suggest spending a day or two NOT closing apps from the recent apps screen - don't even open it - and see if there is a noticeable difference in battery life and/or performance. Seriously - Android (and iOS) are designed specifically so the user does not, and should not, be managing background apps. The OS should manage it for you just fine.

Thanks - will give that a try! Question though - my understanding was that closing out of recent apps does not close the app, but simply removes it from the "recent apps" tray. In other words, if you were to "x" out of the Android Central app, it wouldn't force stop it, but rather just remove it from recent apps. Am I incorrect?

I know that there are times when background apps run away, but my experience has been those times are rare rather than common.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The app can also be swiped away in addition to clicking the "X".

Netgurus Consulting

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Long term IT and mobility consultant. I can't think of one other major OS upgrade (maybe Vista) that has caused so many problems and issues.

Core OS changes that alter how a user uses the phone. Apps that don't work or crash. TouchWiz home is crashing. The phone is slow, balky and gets hot with a rapid battery discharge. The phone frequently disconnects from a very stable home WiFi connection. Most of these issues I have experienced but they are all certainly present in the larger community and traceable back to the Lollipop upgrade. Each round of app upgrades breaks something else.

My Samsung tablet with 4.4 has been the saving grace. I think most people on Lollipop would gladly be reverted back to 4.4 if offered the chance. That is the most damning indictment against Lollipop I think. Just read any forum and the disappointment and displeasure will be evident. I can't believe Google/Samsung/AT&T are just sitting back and not addressing any of these issues with the Lollipop (5.0.1) update/upgrade. I refuse to do a downgrade myself since I see this as an issue that I didn't generate. Maybe I don't understand the process of updating or fixing the OS, but I can certainly tell you that I am frustrated at all three of them.

I can't believe this but I am actually thinking of moving to a Windows phone.

Suggestions?

Frustrated on Samsung Galaxy S4 LOLLIPOP (5.0.1)

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Long term IT and mobility consultant. I can't think of one other major OS upgrade (maybe Vista) that has caused so many problems and issues.

Core OS changes that alter how a user uses the phone. Apps that don't work or crash. TouchWiz home is crashing. The phone is slow, balky and gets hot with a rapid battery discharge. The phone frequently disconnects from a very stable home WiFi connection. Most of these issues I have experienced but they are all certainly present in the larger community and traceable back to the Lollipop upgrade. Each round of app upgrades breaks something else.

My Samsung tablet with 4.4 has been the saving grace. I think most people on Lollipop would gladly be reverted back to 4.4 if offered the chance. That is the most damning indictment against Lollipop I think. Just read any forum and the disappointment and displeasure will be evident. I can't believe Google/Samsung/AT&T are just sitting back and not addressing any of these issues with the Lollipop (5.0.1) update/upgrade. I refuse to do a downgrade myself since I see this as an issue that I didn't generate. Maybe I don't understand the process of updating or fixing the OS, but I can certainly tell you that I am frustrated at all three of them.

Suggestions?

Wipe your cache partition? I don't know to be honest. I love lollipop on my moto Nexus 6. I'd never go back to KitKat.

Posted via the Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Suggestions?

Your issues are with Samsung releasing 5.0 and the only suggestion us Turbo users can give you is wait for 5.1. We waited longer because Motorola didn't want to release 5.0 and it was worth the wait because most of us are noticing improvements from KitKat. I can confirm this because I've used my friends Note 3 extensively and I can't stand Lollipop over there. Mixed in with that sluggish TouchWiz and it feels horrible.

You've been in IT long enough to know that the first version of major overhaul always has kinks. Some worse than others - depends how much is changed. Lollipop changed for the better but 5.0 was rough

Netgurus Consulting

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I did wipe the cache partition and it did help for a period of time. I just seem to be in a frustrating cycle of app updates and phone crashes and slowness. So very tired of this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I did wipe the cache partition and it did help for a period of time. I just seem to be in a frustrating cycle of app updates and phone crashes and slowness. So very tired of this.

I will probably upset the Samsung fans out there by saying this, but my suggestion would be to think twice before getting another Samsung device. Their track record for updates lately has been pretty awful. That's not to say that every single Samsung device has problems with updates, or that other manufacturers are without problem, but on these forums, the vast majority of update problems seem to stem from Samsung devices.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
@Netguru consulting

Lollipop (5.1 +) on the Nexus 6 is easily the smoothest most polished OS on a smartphone. You're problem is more than likely Samsung introducing memoryleaks with touchwiz, or the known memory leaks in 5.0.2. Either way consider a different manufacturer or wait for a fix to get pushed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech