Brand new Turbo, battery problems - still running KitKat

Alex Ballasiotes

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

Just decided to upgrade from my Maxx to the Turbo, was super excited to see what sort of battery capacity and other new features this thing has to offer. Unfortunately, after two days with the phone I have been sorely disappointed. Some disclaimers:
1. I fully charged it (while on) the first time with the turbo charger, not the normal charger. From some reading, it seems that may have been a bad idea.
2. In the test usage shown in the screenshots, I was not trying to conserve battery but also wasn't trying to drain it rapidly.

Screenshot_2015-07-14-21-32-03.jpgScreenshot_2015-07-14-21-32-14.jpg

The first obvious issue is Snapchat. In this test, I didn't use it very much at all. As much or even less than what I would do with my Maxx, and yet I never saw anything close to this sort of drainage. I also concede that it's a high amount of SOT, but for a brand new phone I didn't think that would be a problem. Additionally, I am in a somewhat low-signal area - forgot to take a screen of it, but the indicator is nearly all that dull yellow color. However, I had wifi on the entire time so I didn't think that would be AS much of a problem.

After I took those, I let the phone kill itself and then charge overnight while off to 100% using the normal charger. I then cleared the cache partition, turned on, and unplugged. Currently seeing where that gets me, but it doesn't appear to me much better. Snapchat was still guzzling more juice than Barry Bonds in his heyday, so I uninstalled it just to see what we have to work with.

What do you guys think? Any potential causes? I'm tempted to go back to Verizon and try and exchange it for a new one in case it was some sort of hardware problem specific to the phone. From what I understand Lollipop will only serve to cause further battery usage so I'm afraid to even see that.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
1. The turbocharger is the "normal" charger for the Droid Turbo.

2. You shouldn't have let the Turbo battery "kill itself", which I assume let the battery run down to the point the phone shuts itself off. Still, doing it once should not damage the battery. Repeatedly doing this is harmful.

3. Screen on time of 2 hr. 48 minutes is not that much for the Turbo. I typically have 50-60% battery remaining after that amount of screen on time.

4. Where do you set your screen brightness? That's a huge variable.

5. Uninstalling Snapchat was the correct move. Let's see what happens.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Agree with PowrDroid as above. I've seen others having issues with the latest version of snap chat as well.

Also, it's only been 2 days. Things are still downloading and settling in. Give it a week before getting too worried.

Posted via the Android Central App

Alex Ballasiotes

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, forgot to mention the brightness - I've just kept it at auto, and have primarily been indoors so it's been fairly low.

As for my reference to the type of charger, I've seen posts in this forum and others referencing the fact that the turbo charger is designed/advertised to be used for charging a big chunk quickly, but using it exclusively all the time can be harmful to the battery. Especially when leaving it to charge overnight, normal USB at least from an intuitive perspective seems like it would be better. Just what I've read.

The reason I'm considering taking it back to the store soon is because in the contract it allows for 3 days to cancel without penalty, whereas after I'll likely be pigeonholed into their bull**** $35 restocking fee.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
As for my reference to the type of charger, I've seen posts in this forum and others referencing the fact that the turbo charger is designed/advertised to be used for charging a big chunk quickly, but using it exclusively all the time can be harmful to the battery. Especially when leaving it to charge overnight, normal USB at least from an intuitive perspective seems like it would be better. Just what I've read.

People are wrong. The phone only turbo charges up until I believe 74%, and then it's the same charge rate as a "normal" charger. People theorize that the turbo charging will heat the battery faster and lead to premature aging, without evidence that this is the case.

(I'm not suggesting that this is the right phone for you, just don't believe everything you read...)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, forgot to mention the brightness - I've just kept it at auto, and have primarily been indoors so it's been fairly low.

OK, good to know.

The only time I don't use the turbocharger is if the phone is hooked via USB to the computer, which isn't often. I've learned the trick to transfer files wirelessly over my network using ES File Explorer.

The reason I'm considering taking it back to the store soon is because in the contract it allows for 3 days to cancel without penalty, whereas after I'll likely be pigeonholed into their bull**** $35 restocking fee.

With Verizon I believe you have three days to get out of the activation fee on their wireless contract but I think you have 14 days to exchange hardware or cancel your wireless contract. I'd call Verizon and double check on this.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The problem I see with you saying you couldn't use the Turbo charger is, that's the charger that came with the phone. If a first time buyer picked up the Turbo, they wouldn't have anything else to charge it with. So if that was truly the case, it'd be pretty stupid on Motorola's part to only include a charger that's only meant for minimal use.

I think you'd be worse off using a Qi wireless charger, as many reported issues using them. Plus with mine it takes forever to line up the phone and pad that it doesn't save time over plugging in a cord. That could just be with the Qi charger I have (an Energizer dual device pad that's about 8" X 8") and since it's an older model, they may have improved them since then.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
It takes at least a week to settle the battery. This type of issue was talked about very early on. Please give it a chance! I'm getting 5+ hours of SOT with KK. I nixed the Motorola OTA app using a script from XDA forums! The turbo charger is the only charger you should be using. The wireless ones are too weak... They work but barely! Imho. Motorola designed the turbo charger and the phone as a package! Why would you decide that it's not the right one? I would rather have my turbo charger than any other charger on the planet!

DRoID TuRBo this...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Get rid of Tinder?

Mediaserver is high. That's normal if you are listening to music/watching video. If not, something is up.

Weird that GSAM shows 59% for apps on the first screen, then 61.9% on the second, though the screenshots are a minute apart. On my phone, the two match. If you add the % in the second screenshot (scroll down for more), they will add up to the 61.9%. Seems to be trending that way.

Add up the % in the first screenshot = 100%...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC