Call quality is bad

flackberry

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I know this has been talked about before with advanced calling. I just picked up a Turbo as an alternative to the Note 4 I have and call quality is really bad on the turbo. With the advanced calling turned on its a crap shoot as to whether or not the call will be good. Typically I get call distortion or the caller sounds robotic. When it is decent I still get distortion and have the turn the call volume way down.

For kicks I tried a Lumia 735 with advanced calling and I hate to say it but it was much better.Test calls soundly absolutely normal.

Any ideas before I move back to the Note 4 (bleh touchwank)? FYI running lollipop on fresh factory reset.

Visc

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Maybe you have a defective unit? Mine works well. Try having someone in the Verizon store look at it.

Posted via the Android Central App

sethgoldstein

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Mine gets garbled but it seems like only in certain places. Is it all the time or only now and then?

Sent via Motorola Droid Turbo

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
You didn't mention what area of the country you live in, is it listed as an area where Verizon AC should get good service? Also was the Lumia on the same network? I live in NE, New Jersey, have had no issues with AC. I have read in forums that Motorola in general seem to have good telephone radios, but some have commented that the AC setup in the Droid Turbo was an engineering compromise (single antenna) to achieve certain design criteria, not sure of the validity, but though I would pass it on for discussion.

flackberry

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Austin and always have solid LTE coverage here. Yes the Lumia is on Verizon and testing in the same location. Unfortunately I'm taking the Turbo back as I can't deal with calls being that bad. I'm also not willing to turn off advanced calling as I need to be able to talk and use data as the same time when I'm on the road. Oh well, really liked the other features of this phone. Maybe I just got a defective one.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It can't be the single antenna design - VoLTE uses only the LTE radio, so only one antenna at a time even on a multi-antenna phone. I suppose it's possible that Android's codecs for VoLTE are too aggressive, or maybe people with problems are having too much background processing going on when phone calls are happening (which may explain why some people have issues, others do not). Android seems to give apps more background processing than Windows Phone and iOS do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon