Hi,

So I am on my second Droid Turbo now. The first I had for about 6-7 months but it had some battery issues, serious overheating and it was laggy a lot even after factory resets towards the end of my ownership. I waited until Lollipop came out to see if this might make things better. While the factory reset helped with the overheating and lag to an extent, the battery just sucked with Lollipop. Since I had taken my phone to Verizon a few times in regards to these issues they were able to send me a new Turbo.

I held off on updating to Lollipop for a few weeks on the new one but gave in this past Saturday. While on Kit Kat with the new Turbo, I was getting about 30 hours of use give or take. Now on Lollipop I am getting about 13-15 hours typically.

I have been letting it sit over night to see what happens with the battery when I am not touching it. With Kit Kat I had been losing about 3-5% over an 8 hour period at night. On Lollipop I am losing 10-15% now. I keep WiFi on and don't even touch it while sleeping.

I have attached a few screen shots of battery usage, 2 of them being over night and one just throughout the day. The common theme seems to be that Cell Stand By is the biggest culprit. This was never my biggest user prior to Lollipop. I realize with the one that Roller Coaster Tycoon is a big one but I was playing that while on Kit Kat and never saw this kind of drain. There is also the issue of Caller ID draining the battery which I don't fully understand since I opted out of that after that free trial period Verizon gave.

I have cleared the cache but I haven't factory reset this new Turbo yet.

Let me know if anyone has any insight/advise because the battery was the whole reason I originally got this phone.

Battery Drain Over Night W/ Lollipop-screenshot_2015-07-30-06-35-46.jpg
    Battery Drain Over Night W/ Lollipop-screenshot_2015-07-29-07-06-33.jpg
    Battery Drain Over Night W/ Lollipop-screenshot_2015-07-29-20-55-13.jpg
    07-30-2015 08:55 AM
    This has been a huge issue since LP was pushed. My battery went from 40+ hrs to 10-12 hrs. I couldn't understand why until I looked at signal strength. On Kitkat I averaged signal of - 100 to - 105. On LP I dropped to an average of - 120. This would cause my battery to drain about 20% hr. Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I requested a replacement. Got it couple days ago. Started up and it's Kitkat. Immediately called vzw and they helped me disable the Moto update to keep it on Kitkat. The tech said ALOT of people have had issues with battery. I will stay on Kitkat until the next device or until these issues are settled. I think it's completely unacceptable to have a battery drop by 75% because of an update.
    Some have had better battery but ALOT have seen the same as me. The signal strength for the ones that it improved I would guess have a strong 4g signal to begin with. I get a download speed of about 2 mbps. My wife has a iPhone with us cellular and gets 25 mbps.
    I feel your pain. I was excited for LP and feel it just ruined my Turbo.
    Maybe this isn't any help but figured I would share my experience.
    07-30-2015 09:56 AM
    Go into settings apps, find caller name ID and disable that piece of junk.

You may want to rethink the roller coaster app.

Hard to say for sure, but based on the cell standby number, I'm guessing you have a marginal signal and the phone is working hard to hold it. There isn't much you can do about that. If you have advanced calling turned on, maybe try turning it off to see if that improves things.
    07-30-2015 10:47 AM
    I don't usually post, but I've been fighting with this since lollipop and as of this morning, about 12 hours after I made the change, all seems good. I have not seen this tip elsewhere:
    WIFI->Menu button top right corner to open advanced->disable "Scanning always available" disable "keep wifi on during sleep"

This things been hogging battery since LP but been on since 7am and still at 92%. Good luck
    mobrules and PowrDroid like this.
    07-30-2015 01:59 PM
    This has been a huge issue since LP was pushed. My battery went from 40+ hrs to 10-12 hrs. I couldn't understand why until I looked at signal strength. On Kitkat I averaged signal of - 100 to - 105. On LP I dropped to an average of - 120. This would cause my battery to drain about 20% hr. Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I requested a replacement. Got it couple days ago. Started up and it's Kitkat. Immediately called vzw and they helped me disable the Moto update to keep it on Kitkat. The tech said ALOT of people have had issues with battery. I will stay on Kitkat until the next device or until these issues are settled. I think it's completely unacceptable to have a battery drop by 75% because of an update.
    Some have had better battery but ALOT have seen the same as me. The signal strength for the ones that it improved I would guess have a strong 4g signal to begin with. I get a download speed of about 2 mbps. My wife has a iPhone with us cellular and gets 25 mbps.
    I feel your pain. I was excited for LP and feel it just ruined my Turbo.
    Maybe this isn't any help but figured I would share my experience.
    How did you do this?
    08-01-2015 09:34 AM
    How did you do this?
    Which part?
    08-01-2015 09:45 AM
    Very strange folks are having this much idle drain. I'm on the opposite side of the fence.
    I work in a prison, so my phone stays in my car during my shift. On average, during the 9 hours it's setting in my car my battery will lose 6 or 8 percent. This is with Bluetooth and WiFi on but neither connected to anything. I think less then 1 percent per hour idle drain is perfectly acceptable.

Posted via the Android Central App
    maxman1 likes this.
    08-01-2015 10:48 AM
    Which part?
    Disable the OTA update(s).
    08-02-2015 02:21 PM
    Here's a screen shot of the moto stuff I disabled.
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Drain Over Night W/ Lollipop-1438561487161.jpg   Battery Drain Over Night W/ Lollipop-1438561501620.jpg   Battery Drain Over Night W/ Lollipop-1438561514161.jpg  
    08-02-2015 07:25 PM
    And here's a screen shot of today's battery use so far. Been working outside all day so the actual screen time is low. But this is average use for me.
    08-02-2015 07:27 PM
    Sorry forgot to attach it.
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Drain Over Night W/ Lollipop-1438561655431.jpg  
    08-02-2015 07:27 PM
    The biggest issue I have with lp is they removed the ability of apps like Tasker to automatically disable the 4g signal when I don't need it. I live in a poor signal area and that is the biggest drain for me. I have Tasker to shut down signal, WiFi, and background sync when my screen times out. Then when screen is awake, because I'm using the phone, everything reconnects. LP removed the ability to do this. That's what kills my battery life.
    08-02-2015 07:44 PM
    The biggest issue I have with lp is they removed the ability of apps like Tasker to automatically disable the 4g signal when I don't need it. I live in a poor signal area and that is the biggest drain for me. I have Tasker to shut down signal, WiFi, and background sync when my screen times out. Then when screen is awake, because I'm using the phone, everything reconnects. LP removed the ability to do this. That's what kills my battery life.
    Same here...that loss of 4G control stinks, but wasn't it done for some sort of security reasons?

08-03-2015 03:02 AM
    Sorry forgot to attach it.
    Our batteries seem to be very similar. You've got over an hour of screen time; I've got 38 minutes. You've got only a bit under 2 minutes of cell phone use, I've got almost 27 minutes.

Battery Drain Over Night W/ Lollipop-screenshot_2015-08-03-17-34.jpg
    08-03-2015 05:40 PM
    Our batteries seem to be very similar. You've got over an hour of screen time; I've got 38 minutes. You've got only a bit under 2 minutes of cell phone use, I've got almost 27 minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-08-03-17-34.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	189858
    How's ur signal strength. On lp I was between - 115 to - 120. On KitKat I am around 100 to 105.
    08-03-2015 05:56 PM
    How's ur signal strength. On lp I was between - 115 to - 120. On KitKat I am around 100 to 105.
    My signal strength varies but it's typically in the -100 to -110. Right now it's -106.
    08-03-2015 06:15 PM
    Bout the same then your right
    08-03-2015 06:47 PM
    Here s yesterday results.
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Drain Over Night W/ Lollipop-1438651593619.jpg  
    08-03-2015 08:26 PM
    Here s yesterday results.
    Off charger for 24 hours with nearly 3.5 hours screen on and still at 50%......I'd call that pretty good battery life.

mobrules likes this.
    08-04-2015 10:36 AM
    Off charger for 24 hours with nearly 3.5 hours screen on and still at 50%......I'd call that pretty good battery life.

Yes, it is, BUT it's not as good as it was on Kit Kat. I'd have to go back and look at screen shots I took of my battery monitor on Kit Kat, but I'd guess with this same sort of usage I'd have 65% remaining.
    08-04-2015 04:16 PM
    Like the OP I'm also on my second Turbo now (earpiece crapped out) and since this time I had to do the update I decided to wait on installing my apps until I did that and reset it. On my other Turbo after the update I think I got between 1.5-2% loss per hour overnight sitting idle. On this one it is down to 1% loss per hour.

BTW, my replacement Turbo had the Verizon logo above the emblem (mine was a BN 64GB). But it was some kind of sticker or silk screened on instead of an emblem. With a good fingernail and some patience it now looks like my first Turbo.
    08-05-2015 11:23 AM