07-05-2016 10:00 PM
30 12
tools
    I cannot stand Lollipop, so I returned my phone to Motorola and received one that has KitKat on it. If I can turn off auto-updating of the OS, I will be good to go. I do not want to root the phone as that will mess up my warranty and insurance. If I cannot avoid Lollipop, I will get an Iphone or go back to a flip phone. Lollipop is the worst user interface ever. It is like the "New Coke". You cannot turn the phone to silent with the VOLUME button, how counterintuitive is that!? Also I don't want to see every update on the locked screen, the little pictures are fine. However with Lollipop, it is all the alerts or none at all. Thanks for listening, please help me.
    08-04-2015 08:17 PM
    There are only 2 ways to stop updates permanently - one is to root and turn off updating, the other is to run a custom ROM that doesn't have updating.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-04-2015 10:44 PM
    Umm ... my DROID prompts me for a "system update' (every so often). I just click "Not Now'. So there must be a setting that I set when I first got the phone.
    I have zero interest in Lollipop. My 4.4.4 is rock solid, stellar battery life and zero problems. If It Works, Don't Fix It.
    08-05-2015 03:02 PM
    Umm ... my DROID prompts me for a "system update' (every so often). I just click "Not Now'. So there must be a setting that I set when I first got the phone.
    I have zero interest in Lollipop. My 4.4.4 is rock solid, stellar battery life and zero problems. If It Works, Don't Fix It.
    Sorry, but eventually it will update and install itself...

Posted via the Android Central App
    Rukbat likes this.
    08-05-2015 04:05 PM
    Here's the moto stuff I disabled and the update doesn't prompt me anymore
    Attached Thumbnails Can I prevent Lollipop from auto-updating on my Motorola Droid Turbo?-1438823436124.jpg   Can I prevent Lollipop from auto-updating on my Motorola Droid Turbo?-1438823459405.jpg   Can I prevent Lollipop from auto-updating on my Motorola Droid Turbo?-1438823478494.jpg  
    08-05-2015 08:12 PM
    Sorry, but eventually it will update and install itself...

And why would that be ? And unless I am connected to WiFi, I doubt that it would any way.
    08-05-2015 08:14 PM
    Here's the moto stuff I disabled and the update doesn't prompt me anymore
    Do you know which one (or more) of those resulted in no prompts?
    My guess w/b Verizon Support & Protection ?
    08-05-2015 08:16 PM
    And why would that be ? And unless I am connected to WiFi, I doubt that it would any way.
    You don't have to be on WiFi, it will download over your 3g/4g/lte data connection.

08-05-2015 08:27 PM
    Do you know which one (or more) of those resulted in no prompts?
    My guess w/b Verizon Support & Protection ?
    Verizon support and protection is Verizon's anti virus suite.

08-05-2015 08:30 PM
    I would guess Motorola Connect, Motorola Checkin, Motorola Services, maybe Motorola Notification. The rest I think have nothing to do with OTA updates.

I'd also start the phone in recovery and wipe the cache partition to get rid of the update if it's already downloaded - that's where they get stored.
    08-05-2015 08:39 PM
    You don't have to be on WiFi, it will download over your 3g/4g/lte data connection.

I agree with Jheebs. Unless you are rooted or running something custom I believe it will eventually install. The reason is Verizon can't support this many devices if all of them also have different OS's. This has never happened to me but I do know of people that thought they stopped the update by disabling or constantly refusing it and one morning they woke up to an "update successful" screen!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-05-2015 09:40 PM
    Do you have a link to Verizon that indicates such ?
    08-05-2015 10:20 PM
    Do you have a link to Verizon that indicates such ?
    No. Do you have a link to Verizon that indicates they don't? Look, nothing is 100% with these devices. I do know people that tell me they turned down updates every time and still got updated, and I have read the same in many other forums over the last few years that state the same thing. Guess you will find out. Let us know.
    08-05-2015 11:25 PM
    Most phones on most carriers will give you a certain number of choices (usually around 15), then push the update without asking. (And if you stop it once it starts the actual update, you'll brick the phone.)

If you cn find the OTA or FOTA app and disable it (you probably have to be rooted), you won't get the notification any more. (But if you're rooted, the update will "fail" at about 25%, where it detects root, and not update. It'll just keep bothering you with notices.)
    Davidoo likes this.
    08-06-2015 12:00 AM
    Just so you, i was able to turn the lollipop notifications so they do not appear on the lock screen. I use the moto display and like it so i didn't need the other ones too.

I respect your right to not like lollipop, and it does have things people don't like, however turning your phone volume to silent is as easy as hitting your volume button and then selecting none.

I hope you get it back to kit kat like you want, good luck

doogald likes this.
    08-06-2015 01:59 AM
    My phone tried to download the lollipop update over my 4 g data connection for the frist time this afternoon. I'm still not entirely convinced that I want to do the update yet and certainly don't want to burn up my data by downloading it using my data plan so I quickly set my phone to Airplane mode so it wouldn't download. When I got back home I connected to WiFi and found that I was able to cancle the download. But if it's going to try to randomly push the update would I be better off if I go ahead and accept the download when I'm at least connected to WiFi so it doesn't download using m data plan. This afternoon I just happen to be in a place where I was checking my email messages when I noticed something was downloading and discovered it was Lollipop. The next times it pushes I probably won't even notice.
    08-10-2015 06:36 PM
    My phone tried to download the lollipop update over my 4 g data connection for the frist time this afternoon. I'm still not entirely convinced that I want to do the update yet and certainly don't want to burn up my data by downloading it using my data plan so I quickly set my phone to Airplane mode so it wouldn't download. When I got back home I connected to WiFi and found that I was able to cancle the download. But if it's going to try to randomly push the update would I be better off if I go ahead and accept the download when I'm at least connected to WiFi so it doesn't download using m data plan. This afternoon I just happen to be in a place where I was checking my email messages when I noticed something was downloading and discovered it was Lollipop. The next times it pushes I probably won't even notice.
    It doesn't matter because OTA updates don't count towards used data for your plan. Some people have very small 250MB data plans, so one update would do that in.
    buster buddy likes this.
    08-10-2015 07:48 PM
    It doesn't matter because OTA updates don't count towards used data for your plan. Some people have very small 250MB data plans, so one update would do that in.

Thank you, that makes sense.
    08-10-2015 07:55 PM
    Respect other peoples opinions, but I would suggest that the lollipop holdouts start thinking long term about their decision to avoid L. As one contributor said the volume issue is really not an issue, just do the extra click and get one with life. And the lock screen alerts, you have the choice of the same moto alerts as kitkat, or the new L alerts. You had this choice at setup, just go back to moto alerts. Change is a part of life, if you don't like the direction android is taking, and M is likely to displease you further, then perhaps iphone is a better choice for you. Good luck.
    doogald likes this.
    08-11-2015 07:14 AM
    I've only had the phone about 4 weeks so I'm not sure I'm a holdout nor am I displeased. . Actually I was looking forward to upgrading to 5.1 when I got my new Turbo, I had switched from a Droid Maxx, but then I read that people were having problems after the upgrade. Not because of the changes to the phone but there seemed to be some glithes so I was waiting to see how that all worked out. And I'm not unhappy with the way Adroid is going but I don't want to "break" my phone before I've had it a month. LOL I did in fact decide to download 5.1 last night and so far everything seems to be running fine. I won't know about the issue of decreased battery life that so many seemed to be complaning about for a few days. And although I'm looking forward to when Adroid M is released for the Turbo Max I'm sure I will wait a few weeks to make sure others aren't having problems with the software before I download it.
    jrmt077 likes this.
    08-11-2015 08:58 AM
    Your experience is typical of mine and the majority of forum responders. After so much angst about L 5.0 on other phones, we waited a few days to see if L 5.1 on Turbo was worth the wait. Bottom line it was for most, a positive stable upgrade, and we dove into the pool. No problem with being cautious or pragmatic, its the people that are so pessimistic about moving forward that get me down. Enjoy your new phone.
    08-12-2015 06:51 AM
    Thanks! I am enjoying it and so far 5.1 seems to be running just fine of my phone.
    08-12-2015 09:17 AM
    I cannot stand Lollipop, so I returned my phone to Motorola and received one that has KitKat on it. If I can turn off auto-updating of the OS, I will be good to go. I do not want to root the phone as that will mess up my warranty and insurance. If I cannot avoid Lollipop, I will get an Iphone or go back to a flip phone. Lollipop is the worst user interface ever. It is like the "New Coke". You cannot turn the phone to silent with the VOLUME button, how counterintuitive is that!? Also I don't want to see every update on the locked screen, the little pictures are fine. However with Lollipop, it is all the alerts or none at all. Thanks for listening, please help me.
    Um, I have no problem silencing my phone from the volume button. Maybe u should look into lollipop more. It's definitely better than kit kat

08-12-2015 09:28 AM
    Um, I have no problem silencing my phone from the volume button. Maybe u should look into lollipop more. It's definitely better than kit kat

I think he means this, or at least this is my issue:

KitKat you could rock the volume up all the way to max, and then go back down to the lowest volume of sound, then vibrate, then silent.

Lollipop, to go silent, you have to hit the volume rocker and then choose silent and choose either a time or indefinitely. It is an unnecessary extra step, a fixing of what wasn't broke that needs to be undone. (Such as Microsoft removing the start menu in Win8 then bringing it back for Win10.)

I have adapted and accepted the change, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I wish it would go back in a future update.

08-12-2015 10:32 PM
    No, you just have to hit the volume rocker then touch the bell on the left or touch the lowest point on the volume slider and the phone goes to vibrate. The priority setting is an option but you don't have to use it to silence the phone.
    08-13-2015 08:42 AM
30 12