Display broken, need ideas for the way ahead

shashankhj

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I had purchased the Moto Turbo (Indian Version XT 1225) for ~USD 650. Recently, in a minor accident it broke. Ouch
>> Visible damage: Top glass seems fine, but the display underneath is cracked, no longer functional (We do not have the free one time screen replacement option that Verizon gives. Plus I did not have any other insurance).
>> Possible invisible damages: Right after the accident, the phone became pretty hot, and it was vibrating every 15 odd seconds for about an hour or so (till it ran out of battery, perhaps). I don't know if the internals suffered from any shock or heat damages.

The authorised service center says the Display unit replacement will cost ~USD 280. Any other possible, though unlikely, damages to the battery/motherboard can be determined only after the display is replaced. I have not been able to find out if display units for the Turbo are available for cheaper from third parties in India, any idea about that?

Now my dilemma. Do I go for the screen replacement for a very expensive ~USD 280. Or do I go in for a cheaper handset. I really liked my Turbo, more than what we have on the market right now, the only two gripes being the camera quality compared to it's peers and the doubtful upgrade to Android M. But it has not had a price reduction, and in the current mobile market, shelling out ~USD 650 for it seems too much.

Thoughts?

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
My only thought is the authorized service center can connect a functioning display unit to your phone, to see if there is further damage, without actually charging you for the display. If you have watched Turbo repair on YouTube, its just a cable connect. That way you can make a more informed decision. If everything else is fine, then you are good to go for 280 USD, But if there is further damage, do you want to pay upwards of the cost for a new 2015 phone, to replace a 2014 flagship going on 1 year old in October, probably not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2