Battery life after 10 months

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Seems like the battery performance on my Turbo is degrading a bit. However, I am no expert and don't really have anything to compare it to. Would appreciate your thoughts/feedback.

Attachments

• 1442502830759.jpg
    1442502830759.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1442502841324.jpg
    1442502841324.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 88

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any direct experience, but I would suggest not routinely letting the battery drain deeply, in case that's something you do by habit. Frequent deep discharges can decrease the overall lifespan of a battery. Ideally, start charging up when it hits 30-40%.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice to know what you have screen brightness to. You should be getting more than four hours of screen time on a charge. YouTube will use a lot of power (relative to other apps) but still, you should be getting at least an hour and a half longer screen time on a full charge.

Agree with B. Diddy's advice--don't let your battery discharge completely.

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Mine lasts from 6AM to around 8PM, give or take, on a full charge. It would go to almost noon the next day when I first got it. Maybe I do a lot more with it now, but I really don't think THAT much more...I have to actually use my car charger now and throw it on the wireless charger at home before plugging it in for the night. I am at about 10 months with mine as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I about 5 months in with mine. My battery was incredible when I first got it. 40 hours was my records on a charge. And that's with leaving everything on. Data, Bluetooth, location services, etc. That would get me about 6 to 7 hours of screen on time. After the lollipop update, it's just not the same. I'm lucky to get 3 hours screen on time. I've cleared cache and even did an FDR. Nothing has helped. I still totally love the phone. Wouldn't trade it for anything on the market right now. I'll more than likely get the turbo 2 or whatever they're going to call it. I just wish my battery would last a little longer. I have to charge it after about 12 hours now.

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any direct experience, but I would suggest not routinely letting the battery drain deeply, in case that's something you do by habit. Frequent deep discharges can decrease the overall lifespan of a battery. Ideally, start charging up when it hits 30-40%.

This was the first time I let it completely drain. I usually top it off once during the day in case I go anywhere. I always charge it at night. But I wanted to see the battery stats after a full discharge.

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
It would be nice to know what you have screen brightness to. You should be getting more than four hours of screen time on a charge. YouTube will use a lot of power (relative to other apps) but still, you should be getting at least an hour and a half longer screen time on a full charge.

Agree with B. Diddy's advice--don't let your battery discharge completely.

Since the screen on this phone is not nearly as bright as my previous Samsung, I keep it on max brightness, knowing it will still get me through the day.

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I about 5 months in with mine. My battery was incredible when I first got it. 40 hours was my records on a charge. And that's with leaving everything on. Data, Bluetooth, location services, etc. That would get me about 6 to 7 hours of screen on time. After the lollipop update, it's just not the same. I'm lucky to get 3 hours screen on time. I've cleared cache and even did an FDR. Nothing has helped. I still totally love the phone. Wouldn't trade it for anything on the market right now. I'll more than likely get the turbo 2 or whatever they're going to call it. I just wish my battery would last a little longer. I have to charge it after about 12 hours now.

Agree with you about Lollipop. I was getting much better battery life with Kit Kat.

Geek Central

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto X 2014, and my battery life seems to have diminished a lot. I leave it charging overnight, rich is probably not very good for it, but it routinely goes from 100 to about 10 in 7-8 hours, with about 4 hours of screen-on time. I have brightness at about 20%, NFC on, WI-FI on and connected, and Bluetooth on (not connected to anything usually, it's for my Fitbit). Is this normal, or should I replace the battery at risk of voiding my warranty?

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

beeztrain

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Same here. I can drain the battery extremely fast. I would guess I'm a heavy user but I can't make it through a 12 hour shift without draining to around 20%.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
My normal daily usage I get an average 7 hours after full charge. I use email and text all day long. If I use Netflix or playing games I get an average of 4 hours screen time and 4 hours from 80% to 15%.
I have screen on automatic but set it at 20% to start. Wifi & Bluetooth are on all the time.

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
One point here is that for those of us who got the Turbo upon release last year, that because the battery is now almost 11 months old I suppose it is normal that it doesn't last quite as long as it did when it was new. Nothing drastic for me, but I do sense a slight gradual decrease in battery life as the device is aging.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Got mine in November last year. Previous best with KK was 9+ hours SOT in a 16 hour day with 13% left.
Yesterday was a similar use day. 17 hours with 7.5 hours SOT and 10% left. However, I now have a Moto 360 paired to it constantly, so I'd say I'm still pretty much in line with battery life of nearly a year ago, despite LP being a little worse.

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Turbo for 10 months, too. I've noticed a decline in battery life after the Lollipop update. It was actually getting better battery life for about 2 weeks after the update. Then all of a sudden it started to decline (highest consumption is Google services and Android OS). Still, it's not a hugely significant drop. I used to lose about 2-4% overnight. Now I lose about 6-7%. The battery still lasts for a few days, so I can't really complain.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Got my Turbo in early December. My battery life went down about 15-20% with Lollipop. At the end of the day after Lollipop I usually had 40-50% remaining. I've needed to plug it in every night just to be sure I could make it through the next day. After doing nightly charges for about 6 weeks, my battery seems to be improving. I typically have about 60% or so remaining at the end of the day. Weird, but welcomed.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I picked up an initial release Turbo, and while the battery was good, it wasn't as good as my previous year Droid Maxx, even with the larger battery. I'm thinking it's due to the higher screen resolution and we'd be seeing longer battery life had they gone with 1080 vs 2k resolution (the Maxx only had 720p resolution). Another possible cause may be LP, but i was seeing issues before that showed up.

The reason I am posting is my earpiece went out about a month ago, so I was issued a refurb replacement. The manufacture date was July 2015. I did the LP update before I installed any apps, and did a FDR after the update. Anymore, I cannot get more than a day out of it. Right now the phone has been off the charger since 8:30am this morning, so 16½ hours. My remaining battery percentage is 36% with around 2½ hours SOT. The problem is, after it gets down below 40%, it nosedives pretty rapidly. There are no apps that are dragging it down, and since at my house the signal isn't very good, we have Network Extenders to compensate, so my signal is around -75-80dBm, so signal isn't the issue. My screen brightness is set at around 25-35% with adaptive brightness on. I keep WiFi and mobile data on, GPS set to high accuracy, and Bluetooth and NFC are turned off. These are also the same settings I had on my Droid Maxx.

It seems to me that a phone with a battery this size should be doing much better than it is, when like I said earlier, my Maxx with a smaller battery used to net me a day and a half before I dropped below 40% and put it back on the charger. I really like my Turbo, but one of the key features, battery life, IMHO isn't much better than phones with a battery just over half it's size. It amazes me how some people are getting 6 hours + screen time. At my best I might have gotten around 4½ hours SOT, where I could get that regularly (and a bit better) with my Maxx. I don't know if it's the screen resolution, LP, or a combination of the two. But if this is how it's going to be from now on, then these OEMS need to rethink these screen resolutions that IMO are overkill. I don't even want to think what that Sony phone with 4k resolution gets for battery life. Sorry but I'm a bit frustrated by how much the battery life has suffered going from the Maxx to the Turbo.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Vzwuser76 I had the same exact situation. I was able to get between 2-3 days on my RMHD. Bought the turbo the day it was released and was very happy. Great screen and I was able to get 2 days plus. LP was released and it killed my battery. But that is due to my signal area and not being able to control the signal. I took a chance after talking to Motorola and they sent me another one. It was KitKat and I've stayed there. I won't update it. Glad to keep the battery life over the latest os. I know it will eventually try to force the update. But until then I'm staying right where I am.
There's no reason for vzw to remove the permissions that allow 3rd party apps to control the data connection. But they did. I did speak with a vzw engineer and he admitted it was a feature that they requested Motorola make after testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC