Problem texting photo to husbands new IPhone 6

buster buddy

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've text several photos from my Droid Turbo to my husband's new IPhone 6 but he hasn't recieved any of them. I've sent photos to other friends IPhones and haven't had a problem. And he's recieved photos from other family members. I'm quessing it must be some selection in his phone's settings or maybe something on my phone. This is his first smart phone so I'm the smart phone "expert" in the family. LOL I did go in and look at his settings but I didn't see anything that might block photos from in the messaging app but I'm sure I might have missed something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've text several photos from my Droid Turbo to my husband's new IPhone 6 but he hasn't recieved any of them. I've sent photos to other friends IPhones and haven't had a problem. And he's recieved photos from other family members. I'm quessing it must be some selection in his phone's settings or maybe something on my phone. This is his first smart phone so I'm the smart phone "expert" in the family. LOL I did go in and look at his settings but I didn't see anything that might block photos from in the messaging app but I'm sure I might have missed something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Is he having any issues with photos from other people? Are you able to send regular SMS messages to him with him receiving them?

buster buddy

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Is he having any issues with photos from other people? Are you able to send regular SMS messages to him with him receiving them?

Yes we're able to text regular messages back and forth without any problem. I just tried to text a photo from his IPhone to my number and the send failed. But I was able to send that photo to another friend from his IPhone without a problem and he's recieved photos from other family memebers. It's as if my number has blocked photos from sending to and recieving from. As they say "Life is a mystery".
Thanks

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes we're able to text regular messages back and forth without any problem. I just tried to text a photo from his IPhone to my number and the send failed. But I was able to send that photo to another friend from his IPhone without a problem and he's recieved photos from other family memebers. It's as if my number has blocked photos from sending to and recieving from. As they say "Life is a mystery".
Thanks

Was the friend you sent it to also an iPhone? We have to ensure it is a text message photo being sent (green color) and not iMessage (blue color). I would ensure his APN settings are setup properly on his phone.

buster buddy

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Was the friend you sent it to also an iPhone? We have to ensure it is a text message photo being sent (green color) and not iMessage (blue color). I would ensure his APN settings are setup properly on his phone.

My firend does have an IPhone. My husband is gone now but I will look his phone when he gets home this evening. Not sure what the APN settings are but will at least look at them this evening. If all else fails I can have him take the phone to the AT&T store and they can change the settings.

Thanks

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My firend does have an IPhone. My husband is gone now but I will look his phone when he gets home this evening. Not sure what the APN settings are but will at least look at them this evening. If all else fails I can have him take the phone to the AT&T store and they can change the settings.

Thanks

Here are the APN settings for Verizon -- Verizon 4g lte apn settings Detailed Configuration Steps.

And here is how to do it on an iPhone - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201699.

I hope this helps :).

buster buddy

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks you everyone for your help. I did look into changing the APN settings but couldn't find it when I selected cellular data in settings. I think this problem is a little beyond my so called expertise. LOL My husband is going to take his phone back to the AT&T store this week and ask them to fix it. I was just so surprised that I couldn't send him a photo as I have several friends with IPhones and we're able to text photos back and forth. I sometimes forget how proprietary Apple can be.

Ann

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Iphone users must have iMessage - AND- SMS turned on in their settings. Thank Apple for their reticence to change.

buster buddy

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
My husband took his phone into the AT&T store this afternoon and they were able to fix it. He was able to send me a photo and I was able to send one to him. I asked him what they did to fix it, although I wasn't sure he'd know for sure what they did. He told me they had him turn his phone off and then back on and he was able to send me a photo. LOL Real technical stuff but it seemed to work. Thanks everyone for your input

Ann

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Iphone users must have iMessage - AND- SMS turned on in their settings. Thank Apple for their reticence to change.

Not quite sure where you got that info - iMessage works just fine with sms only turned on. Or, for people who never want outgoing messages to be texts, to turn off the sms part.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
My husband took his phone into the AT&T store this afternoon and they were able to fix it. He was able to send me a photo and I was able to send one to him. I asked him what they did to fix it, although I wasn't sure he'd know for sure what they did. He told me they had him turn his phone off and then back on and he was able to send me a photo. LOL Real technical stuff but it seemed to work. Thanks everyone for your input

Ann

It never ceases to amaze me what a "re-boot", or two, will do for a phone or computer. Glad all is good for you.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Not quite sure where you got that info - iMessage works just fine with sms only turned on. Or, for people who never want outgoing messages to be texts, to turn off the sms part.
Personal experience on my part. I'm Android all the way but my wife & a number of her friends us iPhones of varying vintage. On multiple occasions this issue has arisen where iPhone to iPhone text were fine but any sent FROM iPhone TO Android simply vanished into cyber space. In every instance, the culprit was found to be that the senders had iMessage enabled but SMS was disabled - enabling SMS (and) iMessage solved the problem. Personally, I cannot fathom why Apple clings to the antiquated iMessage system - far as I can determine, serves no useful purpose and only creates headaches.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Personal experience on my part. I'm Android all the way but my wife & a number of her friends us iPhones of varying vintage. On multiple occasions this issue has arisen where iPhone to iPhone text were fine but any sent FROM iPhone TO Android simply vanished into cyber space. In every instance, the culprit was found to be that the senders had iMessage enabled but SMS was disabled - enabling SMS (and) iMessage solved the problem. Personally, I cannot fathom why Apple clings to the antiquated iMessage system - far as I can determine, serves no useful purpose and only creates headaches.

The purpose of iMessage is for people who don't have unlimited messaging plans - their iPhone to iPhone messages are sent without using sms, so they don't count against the plan. You can surely turn iMessage off and sms on and it works fine - though my wife's was set the other way (Apple seems to reset iMessage back on when you update the os without telling you, being the pains in the *** that they can be.) And, if course, like Google's hangouts, iMessage messages are a lot more secure than sms. IMessage messages are encrypted end to end with each message encrypted so only the recipient can read it.

If anything it's sms that's antiquated. As well as Apple's reluctance to port it to Android or Windows phone which would be the best solution and is what Google sort of did with the very similar hangouts service (though no hangouts for you, Windows phone.)