Volume issue....is there a real solution? I'm about to junk the Droid Turbo

mjb4ex

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I loved my Droid Maxx. Never had an issue. I like quite a few others, have issues with the Droid Turbo locking in silent. I use my phone almost every waking moment. I own a 24/7 business. Almost every day, I find my stupid phone vibrating instead of ringing. One of these times it's going to cause a huge problem, I'm going to miss the wrong phone call. Other's have mentioned an application that uses sound or the microphone port, like the square app, is causing this issue. It make's sense. I use both square and a zello all day, every day, just like I did with the Droid Maxx. Gone through every single setting. Disabled Moto. I shouldn't have to babysit my phone to make sure its going to ring when I need it too. Has anyone found a permanent fix?

Thanks

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad its not just me. I miss emails, texts and calls. I've tried disabling things and it just seems to be completely random. It will be silent for one and then a little bit later will give me an audible notification for another. Extremely annoying. The only thing I'm hoping for/looking forward to is that the Turbo 2 next month won't have this issue. Not that I should have to buy a new phone to fix the problem.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is a fix, but will a Bluetooth headset ring for you when there is a call? If so, is that an acceptable workaround?

Another idea is to use a cheap tablet or prepaid phone for square and not use it with the turbo?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is a fix, but will a Bluetooth headset ring for you when there is a call? If so, is that an acceptable workaround?

Another idea is to use a cheap tablet or prepaid phone for square and not use it with the turbo?

a BT set is not an acceptable workaround. I have the phone in my pocket at work (in the ER) and can't really walk around with BT headset, nor do I want to really ever or anywhere for that matter.

I don't use square or anything like that on mine, so that's not what's causing the problem for me. I don't think it was doing this before Lollipop if I remember correctly.

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
It might not be the turbo, but the way that square and zello are intergrating with L 5.1, assuming you have upgraded. Try a test, use each separately after a reboot. Ask someone to call you and see if it rings. Then go into settings/ programs/ running and see if each program software is still running after you closed the application. If so force close, and try to receive a call again. It may be that their applications are staying in memory and interfering with normal phone ringer.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Lollipop is a hot mess for me. If given the choice I would go back to Kitkat but what's done is done. This definitely my last phone I buy with a locked bootloader. At least give me the option to screw the phone up for myself instead of Google doing it for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

mjb4ex

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
The thing is, there is no rhyme or reason to when and why it turns off. I'm %99 sure the ringer was on before I went to bed last night. I check it...sad I have to remember and take the time to check if my phone is going to ring. I woke up to my phone vibrating because I was getting a call. The only thing that had happened from the time I went to bed and that phone call was my alarm going off multiple times and me hitting the snooze. Did the alarm turn the volume off too? Or could the alarm be what's turning off the volume. I set the alarm throughout the day to remind myself to call customers. I've never actually been able to pin point what's making the volume lock on silent. I just notice when I'm getting a call my phone is vibrating instead of ringing. And it's at least once a day. It sounds like this is happening to only a handfull of droid turbo users. Is it just our phone?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Its completely random for me as well. It will go silent and then next notification will come through. Makes no sense.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If it's the alarm, try using the calendar app to set reminders and see if that changes anything.

I have read other people mention this problem happening after unplugging a square device so I wonder myself if that's more of an issue - that the phone senses the headphone jack being used and never clears it after the device is removed.

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have my Turbo set to silence notifications after midnight while I'm 'sleeping'. There is a notification for it in the pull down menu. I just turn it off when I don't want it to silence calls, texts, emails, ect on weekends when I'm typically up past midnight. I would check to make sure nothing like that is activated on your Turbo.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed