Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffmac12

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I am sunshine pumping but the main delay with our lollipop was skipping 5.0 because of VoLTE. I think it's reasonable to expect we won't be SO far behind other moto updates again. Obviously, with Verizon involved, we won't be on the same schedule as the Pure phones.

I'm probably gonna get a Turbo 2 based on these hopes

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I am sunshine pumping but the main delay with our lollipop was skipping 5.0 because of VoLTE.

Speculation. It's also possible that it was because of a lack of resources at Motorola. And they've just laid off a bunch more people.

in 2014, when Motorola was still owned by Google and they had done a great job getting KitKat updates out rapidly, it wasn't until May that they had an update for the 2012 Droids. That's why I think the Turbo will be lucky to get it before May 2016 - that was the best-case Motorola update performance on year-old hardware (when the Android update was released - KitKat was out on November 2013), and Motorola has done nothing to show that they are getting faster at this. (To be honest, after last year's piece of junk Lollipop 5.0 update, I think I'd want them to wait until at least after 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 was out before they even thought about upgrading anyway.)

If I were buying an Android phone right now, the only ones that I'd consider are the Nexus 5X or the Nexus 6P. I don't want Touchwiz or whatever LG puts on their phone or I'd consider one of theirs, too. It's not just Android updates - I just don't trust Motorola on keeping their phones patched for security updates anymore.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I am sunshine pumping but the main delay with our lollipop was skipping 5.0 because of VoLTE.

Speculation. It's also possible that it was because of a lack of resources at Motorola. And they've just laid off a bunch more people.

My apologies: you were right. I had forgotten about this from March 25: https://twitter.com/rosterloh/status/580845535973740545

Some questions on L on Droid. We wanted to ship VoLTE on Droid first, and now that this is done, we are turning our focus to L. #AskRickO

I still have doubts about Motorola's ability to support their phones going forward, though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

in 2014, when Motorola was still owned by Google and they had done a great job getting KitKat updates out rapidly, it wasn't until May that they had an update for the 2012 Droids. That's why I think the Turbo will be lucky to get it before May 2016 - that was the best-case Motorola update performance on year-old hardware (when the Android update was released - KitKat was out on November 2013), and Motorola has done nothing to show that they are getting faster at this. (To be honest, after last year's piece of junk Lollipop 5.0 update, I think I'd want them to wait until at least after 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 was out before they even thought about upgrading anyway.)

If I were buying an Android phone right now, the only ones that I'd consider are the Nexus 5X or the Nexus 6P. I don't want Touchwiz or whatever LG puts on their phone or I'd consider one of theirs, too. It's not just Android updates - I just don't trust Motorola on keeping their phones patched for security updates anymore.

During the KitKat updates, they had these phones: first gen Moto Xs, first gen Moto Gs, and the three DROIDs + previous generation DROIDs.

During the Lollipop updates, they had first and second gen Moto Xs, first and second gen Moto Gs, DROID TURBO, first and second gen Moto Es, the previous generation DROIDs.

And Lollipop 5.0 was a disaster. Second gen Moto X Pure Edition got 5.0 and it sucked. Carrier Moto Xs got 5.0 and it sucked. Motorola got burned. I'm glad they took their time with 5.1.

Even still though, now that Nexus phones can be used on all US carriers and if updates are high on your list of features, there's no reason to buy a carrier device anymore.

griffmac12

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I would love to get a Nexus phone but I am not crazy about the hardware and unless ambient display is much improved, it is no match for Moto Display.

EricandSuebee

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Motorola is really good at getting updates out, its Verizon who slows everything, I wish Android went the way of Apple, they control the updates not the carriers.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is really good at getting updates out, its Verizon who slows everything,

That's speculation. Last year's Verizon Moto X was the first carrier model to get Lollipop (which turned out to be a disaster), and Verizon seems to be pushing updates for Samsung and LG phones pretty fast.

Since the Lenovo sale, Motorola's OTA update performance, even for their unlocked phones, has continued to worsen. I don't think the reason is Verizon.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Upgrade to marshmallow

Nobody knows, but I wouldn't expect it before next March. And it's likely to be after that.

MNSnowman

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

My Verizon contract expires in less than 2 months. If the upgrade comes before the contract expires, I'll stick around. But if it doesn't, I'll buy a Nexus 6P and move to Project Fi.

I have to confess that the upgrade from Kit Kat to Lollipop took far longer than I expected or wanted. It's still unclear if that's due to Verizon or Motorola but past performance in the last upgrade doesn't instill confidence. While I like the Turbo, the 6P's reviews are pretty good and the finger print security is an attractive feature for me.

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

My Verizon contract expires in less than 2 months. If the upgrade comes before the contract expires, I'll stick around. But if it doesn't, I'll buy a Nexus 6P and move to Project Fi.

I have to confess that the upgrade from Kit Kat to Lollipop took far longer than I expected or wanted. It's still unclear if that's due to Verizon or Motorola but past performance in the last upgrade doesn't instill confidence.

I agree with this statement. My guess is Verizon was the culprit, but nevertheless, I have reason to believe that the Marshmallow update is going to be just like the Lollipop update: Enormously delayed.
But this may be good, as Lollipop for the Turbo turned out great, as Moto/Verizon took that extra time to polish it up. So I expect the same treatment from the company this time around as well.

My prediction: April.

Posted via the Android Central App

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

It looks like Marshmallow for Turbo 2 may be on the horizon? Droid Life is reporting that it's rolling out to Verizon employees: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/12/1...ady-getting-marshmallow-on-the-droid-turbo-2/

I know these are different phones and the T2 is the new darling flagship, but one can only hope this bodes well for us loyal Verizon Droid owners =)

That's probably the best anybody can surmise at this point. I was considering going over to Project Fi as well but didn't want to buy a new phone since the Turbo is still a heckuva device (much love to the all day battery life (not "48 hrs" but still very good)). Plus, with the extra GBs of data that VZW has been giving out lately, I've been able to move down to the Size Medium plan (3GB data) and still get 6GB of data, at least for now.

Check out the free data VZW giveaways including 2GB thru December billing cycle and an extra 1GB for two billing cycles if you download their junky video app (which you can immediately delete after registering).

ejtsang

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Well for those interested in trying out project fi and the tasty goodness of marshmallow, Amazon is running a deal right now on the Moto Nexus 6 for $250 (32 gb) and $300 (64gb). They also have the 64 gb Nexus 6P for $50 off retail at $500.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
When is first generation Droid Turbo getting Marshmallow update?

will the droid turbo 1 be getting it?

anyone know?

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: marshmellow update?

I think this is the first smartphone I've owned where people aren't screaming bloody murder en masse because they don't have the latest upgrade yet. Maybe because so many got burned by 5.0? Kinda weird...

Posted via Moto Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87