12-05-2016 12:00 PM
103 12345
tools
    cue the i want marshmallow, when marshmallow, whats taking so long- they are always screwing us, marshmallow screwed up my phone, marshmallow is great, how do i go back to lollipop?, how do i block marshmallow update?..... threads
    Hahah! You said it so well. That's the exact order in which it goes on here. Sorry folks but it's true. I've been with Android long enough and I understand and accept how updates go that I just wait for it to pop up on my screen. I then download it and be happy. It's not that hard.
    03-04-2016 03:30 AM
    My Verizon contract expires in less than 2 months. If the upgrade comes before the contract expires, I'll stick around. But if it doesn't, I'll buy a Nexus 6P and move to Project Fi.
    Just to close the loop, I moved from Verizon to Project Fi a month earlier than I'd planned and bought the 6P.

The new phone has some nice features and the larger size is not an issue. I appreciate not having bloatware from Verizon. The loss of Moto's software was a very minor inconvenience. The rapid charging works very well and slightly better than the Turbo's rapid charges.

Marshmallow works very well; however it's an incremental improvement and not(IMO) earth-shattering. The monthly upgrades are nice to have and pain free. Knowing I'll have "N" (Nougat?) when it's released is also nice. I guess I'm a sucker for the bright and shiny when it comes to an OS.

The biggest change is Project Fi and so far it's all for the good. My monthly service cost after refund for unused mobile data is less than half of what Verizon's would have been had I stayed. The need for Customer Service is lower but Fi's CS is superb when I've needed it: responsive, friendly, and easily accessed. Switching between T-mobile and Sprint Networks is transparent as is using wifi for calls. Best decision I've made.
    zero3187 likes this.
    03-04-2016 10:12 AM
    why back to lollipop??
    03-07-2016 07:03 AM
    My personal prediction:
    Verizon and Motorola may skip Android 6.0 "Marshmallow" and go straight to Android 7.0 "Nutella" (I hate that name, but it's inevitable at this point) similar to how they skipped 5.0 and went straight to 5.1, only this time it's not the bugs that would be a problem, it's time.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-18-2016 02:18 PM
    . . . . . . . .
    03-21-2016 06:45 PM
    ... The new phone has some nice features and the larger size is not an issue. I appreciate not having bloatware from Verizon. The loss of Moto's software was a very minor inconvenience. The rapid charging works very well and slightly better than the Turbo's rapid charges...
    The big question is... how is the battery life? I've never seen a phone attainable in the US whose battery life could compare to the Turbo (possibly the Turbo 2). Is the 6P comparable? What about the other Nexus phones? Worse battery life than the Turbo is a dealbreaker for me at this point.
    03-25-2016 12:15 PM
    The Nexus 6p battery is almost the same size as the Turbo's. That doesn't always mean anything, and I have no experience with it, but I do know that Droid brand phones seem to underperform in battery life based on the size of the battery, I think because of all of the low power princesses (active display, drive mode [the phone is monitoring when you exceed 15 mph], etc.)

I'd also be interested to hear from somebody who has used both the Turbo and the 6p for significant periods whether the battery life is close.
    03-25-2016 12:48 PM
    I have both the 6p and the turbo and they are very similar in battery life. There are things I miss about the turbo, mainly the moto display rather than the active display on the 6p. However, no bloat from Verizon, the fingerprint reader, and marshmallow have me hooked on the 6p. I keep my turbo charged and updated in case I need to swap out the SIM and use it.
    03-25-2016 02:36 PM
    In talking with Moto Level III support 10 days ago, Marshmallow was to roll out to the DROID Turbo 2 within the next two weeks. It did, as the roll out happened today, 4/17/16. Support also said that the DROID Turbo roll out would come shortly after that. I pressed on "shortly" and there was silence.

Sorry, I couldn't provide more info.

markbilek
    04-27-2016 11:16 AM
    Support also said that the DROID Turbo roll out would come shortly after that. I pressed on "shortly" and there was silence.
    I'd be a little surprised if they updated the Turbo before the Maxx 2. Not 100% surprised, but I'd think they'd do the newer phones first. (The Turbo was probably a bigger seller than the Maxx 2, though.)
    04-27-2016 11:56 AM
    Que the pot-stirring music: LG G3 on AT&T just got updated to M. Yup, a THREE generations old phone (G3, G4, G5) just got M and our lovely two-generations old Turbo is still sitting forlornly on the sidelines.

Posted via Turbo
    04-28-2016 11:11 AM
    Eh I gave up months ago

Tim Bell1 and dawghowse like this.
    04-28-2016 11:54 AM
    Eh I gave up months ago

Here’s a pro tip on a Wednesday – stop buying Motorola and Verizon’s exclusive DROID phones if you care at all about software updates or security. I say that because Motorola and Verizon don’t seem to care about keeping them up-to-date, even as Google and the rest of the Android industry are at least doing their best to provide timely security patches.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/04/27...urbo-dont-buy/
    04-28-2016 02:31 PM
    Yep, as soon as Lenovo got their hands on Motorola, all the promises of timely updates and long-term support went out of the window.

Remember when the Verizon OG Moto X and 2013 Droids were basically the first non-Nexus phones with KitKat? Those were good times, right?
    04-29-2016 03:04 PM
    I see on Android Central today that the Sony Z2 and Z3 are getting Marshmallow now... A phone with almost no USA support from carriers. Absolutely ridiculous that we don't have this yet. Droid turbo is supposed to be like Verizons in house Nexus phone.

gilgamess3 likes this.
    05-04-2016 07:19 PM
    You must be new to the Verizon/Droid line. 😉 Status quo.
    gilgamess3 likes this.
    05-05-2016 12:07 AM
    Droid turbo is supposed to be like Verizons in house Nexus phone.
    Verizon *never* advertised any of their Droid phones that way. Only the OG Droid was easily unlockable, as it was the quasi-Nexus for Eclair 2.0, before Google started the Nexus idea/brand.
    05-05-2016 10:03 AM
    Verizon *never* advertised any of their Droid phones that way. Only the OG Droid was easily unlockable, as it was the quasi-Nexus for Eclair 2.0, before Google started the Nexus idea/brand.
    I know they didn't but they inferred it. I am still happy with lots about this phone. If the camera were better I might go well beyond my expired contract date in October.

05-05-2016 10:59 AM
    You must be new to the Verizon/Droid line. 😉 Status quo.
    Not new. I check this forum multiple times a week. I am very well aware of the history

gilgamess3 likes this.
    05-05-2016 11:00 AM
    I know they didn't but they inferred it.
    You probably mean to say that they implied it, but, honestly, I think the issue is that you inferred it, not that they implied it. (People who make or publish statements suggesting things make implications, and people who hear or read statements and guess at hidden meanings make inferences. They are two sides of what can be the same coin, or sometimes two sides of different coins, but the two words mean different things.)

There certainly has never been any corporate communication from Verizon Wireless that suggested (implied) that the Turbo would be treated like a Nexus device when it comes to upgrades. I can't speak for anything a salesperson would say, because many will gladly spout any statement that makes you buy a phone and continue service.
    Ry likes this.
    05-05-2016 11:29 AM
    Droid turbo is supposed to be like Verizons in house Nexus phone.

That's the funniest thing I've ever read...

05-05-2016 02:26 PM
    That's the funniest thing I've ever read...

Glad you enjoyed it

05-06-2016 09:32 AM
    It's a shame!
    05-09-2016 11:50 AM
    Now that the Maxx 2 is getting Marshmallow, I'd say that the Turbo is on the clock. They never update an older Droid before the newer ones are updated.
    05-09-2016 05:15 PM
    Yeah, I'm thinking June/July around the same late time we got LP

05-09-2016 05:54 PM
103 12345