Installed the security update above this morning without issue and since it only specified as a security patch, I "assumed" it was the long awaited "Stagefright" vulnerability fix. After a couple of reboots I ran two different Stagefright detectors and both failed. So, either the two detectors are both flawed or, the OTA update is for other vulnerabilities. I would be hesitant to trust that the Stagefright risk is corrected until we see an actual changelog of what's in 23.21.44.
    adayoff, anon(9227267) and GTForce like this.
    10-06-2015 02:49 PM
    Surprised Moto hasn't released any sort of change log for this, maybe too small of an update?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-07-2015 05:17 PM
    As best I can tell, this update patches all vulnerabilities of Stagefright V.1 but leaves 1 single vulnerability to V.2. I'm betting that one remains until Android M 6.0 is released.
    10-07-2015 09:15 PM
    As best I can tell, this update patches all vulnerabilities of Stagefright V.1 but leaves 1 single vulnerability to V.2. I'm betting that one remains until Android M 6.0 is released.
    Maybe, but I hope they patch first. Right now I'm not all that confident that Motorola can handle the updates that they have, and the Turbo probably won't be high on the list for M updates.
    10-07-2015 09:33 PM
    I just did the update and ran LOOKOUT's Stagefright dector and it says it is still vulnerable. What did you test yours with?
    10-09-2015 11:56 AM
    I just did the update and ran LOOKOUT's Stagefright dector and it says it is still vulnerable. What did you test yours with?
    Lookout & Zimperium. The latter discovered the Stagefright exploit and shows the individual vulnerabilities when it runs. Shows only one single vulnerability remains so I'm guessing that exploits of the 1st iteration of Stagefright was addressed in the update but V.2 version was not. Purely a guess on my part but with the other exploits having been addressed, seems logical.
    10-09-2015 01:30 PM
    Lookout & Zimperium. The latter discovered the Stagefright exploit and shows the individual vulnerabilities when it runs. Shows only one single vulnerability remains so I'm guessing that exploits of the 1st iteration of Stagefright was addressed in the update but V.2 version was not. Purely a guess on my part but with the other exploits having been addressed, seems logical.
    I don't think it's V2 - Google made a mistake on their initial Stagefright patches and there was one flaw left unpatched. THIS WAS TWO MONTHS AGO. The fact that Motorola is pushing an update that continues to leave phones vulnerable - *sigh*.

See Google flubs patch for Stagefright security bug in 950 million Androids • The Register
    maxman1 and Bitterman like this.
    10-09-2015 01:46 PM
    I don't think it's V2 - Google made a mistake on their initial Stagefright patches and there was one flaw left unpatched. THIS WAS TWO MONTHS AGO. The fact that Motorola is pushing an update that continues to leave phones vulnerable - *sigh*.

See Google flubs patch for Stagefright security bug in 950 million Androids • The Register
    Well done, thanks.
    10-09-2015 06:50 PM
    Maybe it's just me, but ever since this update last week my battery seems to drain much faster, especially when the phone sits overnight (even in sleep mode). Anyone else having this issue?
    10-18-2015 05:15 PM
    I've noticed a huge drain in battery since the update, too. The biggest drain is Google Play services (I think it was like 40% of the drain and the Android Operating System was like 20%). I disabled a bunch of apps I don't use, made sure the ones I do use are up to date, cleared the cache, let the battery drain to 5%, and now I'm charging. I'm hoping this will rectify the issue. We'll see how much I lose overnight with the phone being in sleep mode. I've heard a few other people complain about a battery drain issue since the update. It sounds like it's a software issue. Hopefully there will be a patch soon.
    10-18-2015 07:55 PM
    I can't believe I haven't found anyone else with this problem, but I believe this update has messed up the charging process. I was in NYC a few weeks ago and I noticed my phone wasn't charging fast and at times not at all when plugged in. Turned the phone off then back on and still had the same issue. Got to the hotel, charged it overnight. When I woke up, it wasn't charging and was actually down in battery. After a wipe it still did the same thing. VZW suggested I may have done something(HA!) but still sent me a refurb. Phone worked great at first, charged like usual. But within a day the update popped up and I installed. Sure enough, the same problems are happening. It charges, but never says Turbo charger detected and is really slow. It often stops charging for no reason, especially when I unlock the screen. Brought it back to VZW and again they are sending me another refurb. We'll see.
    10-20-2015 06:35 AM
    I've had no battery drain problems and no charging problems since the update.
    10-20-2015 11:40 AM
    No issues here either.

10-20-2015 12:43 PM
    I can't believe I haven't found anyone else with this problem, but I believe this update has messed up the charging process. I was in NYC a few weeks ago and I noticed my phone wasn't charging fast and at times not at all when plugged in. Turned the phone off then back on and still had the same issue. Got to the hotel, charged it overnight. When I woke up, it wasn't charging and was actually down in battery. After a wipe it still did the same thing. VZW suggested I may have done something(HA!) but still sent me a refurb. Phone worked great at first, charged like usual. But within a day the update popped up and I installed. Sure enough, the same problems are happening. It charges, but never says Turbo charger detected and is really slow. It often stops charging for no reason, especially when I unlock the screen. Brought it back to VZW and again they are sending me another refurb. We'll see.
    I'd try another cable (make sure it's a quick charge capable cable), then I'd try another charger (again, make sure it's qualcomm quick charge capable.) Since it's happened on more than one device, I'd suspect the cable or the charger before the phone (or its software.)

Another idea is to restart in safe mode and see if it quick charges fine - maybe you have some weird third party app problem? (I guess try that idea first, since you don't have to buy anything.) Long press on power like you normally would to power off, to bring up the power off dialog, but then long-press on the power off control until you get the safe mode prompt.

If it still happens in safe mode, it's not caused by a third party app.
    Davidoo and yenyob like this.
    10-20-2015 01:21 PM
    That was a great idea thank you. But unfortunately it didn't work. Maybe it was just coincidence about the update. I have a car charger with a different cord that I used before the issue started as well. It's the only other thing in common with the new phone and the previous one. I'll avoid it and see how it goes.

10-20-2015 10:15 PM
    That was a great idea thank you. But unfortunately it didn't work. Maybe it was just coincidence about the update. I have a car charger with a different cord that I used before the issue started as well. It's the only other thing in common with the new phone and the previous one. I'll avoid it and see how it goes.
    Maybe the car charger is doing something to the phone to mess up quick charging?

I'd stick with the stock charger and cable for, say, a week and see if the problem recurs with the next phone. It wouldn't be the first time that a cheap car charger messed up a phone's charging circuitry.

There are turbo charging car chargers, too: The best Quick Charge 2.0 car chargers | Android Central
    10-21-2015 05:41 AM
    I bought the anker quick car charger and I'm hoping that's not the problem. But that's also part of what is in common when my phones went bad. So far this new one is great... I'm afraid to use anything besides the charger that came with it!

10-21-2015 11:11 PM