Does HD Voice cause dropped calls?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My Turbo worked great up until 5.1. At my house, my signal is ~ -110 dBm which is about the same on my AT&T network H815 LG G4. Ill drop about one call every 24-48 hours. I went through hours of troubleshooting with customer service and tech support. I even was shipped a replacement device.

So, eventually a trouble ticket was issued to their engineering department and there answer was High Def voice, when activated in a "weak spot" (-110 dBm is enough to make a call) that it would disconnect the phone. My AT&T G4 never dropped a call at my home.

Anyone have thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Had several issues with dropped calls and server error messages few months ago, VZ swapped out the sim, but still get random dropped calls. With HD off, its better but shouldn't have to sacrifice that.

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
With HD calling VZW uses VoiP - using the LTE data network to make the call rather than the cellular modem. If you lose 4g (LTE) and drop to 3g the call cam not make the transition and drops. This is also the reason you cannot get voice and data on 3g (unlike the old days). The change has to do with the implementation of the modems (in all modern phones) and how they work together. It will be an issue until they move to an all LTE network.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
With HD calling VZW uses VoiP - using the LTE data network to make the call rather than the cellular modem. If you lose 4g (LTE) and drop to 3g the call cam not make the transition and drops. This is also the reason you cannot get voice and data on 3g (unlike the old days). The change has to do with the implementation of the modems (in all modern phones) and how they work together. It will be an issue until they move to an all LTE network.

Aww, makes sense. The area where I drop calls most is an area that constantly changes from 4g to 3g. Thanks for the info, mystery solved!!

gemery#CB

Banned
Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Happens a lot for me throughout the Seacoast NH area... Signal may show to be strong for LTE, but if it drops, the call quality suffers and or drops off completely