I don't want the update. I get headaches easily, use the phone a lot at night, and I hate the all white backgrounds and new keyboard. I stopped the download for a long time by force stopping it whenever it started to DL but it eventually did it when I wasn't looking, I guess. Now I get a reminder to install it every day and I am worried I will accidentally install it, and I can't stand the constant reminders. I am so mad at Verizon. Is there anything I can do? It isn't right that I paid for the phone as it was and they want to try and force an update that will make the phone much harder for me to use.
    12-21-2015 04:00 PM
    Hi
    Did you try this
    Settings -> About Phone -> Software Update then click on icon top right side and choose settings
    then there you will see " Allow Automatic Update", click on it and then choose " Do not update automatically "
    12-21-2015 04:17 PM
    There is no option in about phone. I am worried I will break phone if I try to root it. But I just hate the look of Lollipop and want to keep my phone the way it is now. I don't get why they have to change look with updates and not let people keep the same look on their phoned?
    12-21-2015 04:29 PM
    If you are not expert don't try to root it you may break your phone, if you want you can post an image of your settings so I can see and let you know where to click to stop the update
    Google has change a lot of stuff since they introduced Android Lollipop, and the interface is one of those changes
    another suggest is to try a different launcher from play store and see if you could like on of them, and you can use it in lollipop too
    12-21-2015 06:16 PM
    Settings >apps> google play services uncheck notifications. Lmk if that works.. It could be a different app
    12-21-2015 06:33 PM
    I already had Google Play services notifications off. I'm guessing it must be some hidden thing with Verizon I can't disable? I am happy with how the phone works so I don't want to update it if it means having to use an interface that hurts my eyes. I guess I really don't understand why they can't let us keep the look?? ugh. I wish I knew someone who knows how to root a phone. I also unchecked motorola notification as well. I am so worried I am going to accidentally accept this stupid update when it pops up.
    12-21-2015 06:36 PM
    You can try clearing the cache partition, which is where the OTA gets downloaded, but it's possible it will just download again in the next restart. Clearing the cache partition doesn't delete any apps or data and is quite harmless.

The instructions are here: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9277 (use the KitKat steps obviously.)

There are good reasons why Verizon wants to push out updates: it makes it easier for them to support when everyone is on the same update is probably their biggest reason, there are security patches that are included with lollipop. I'd say the vast majority of customers want the latest update. I'd suggest that in the future you consider a different phone platforms if you want to avoid updates. Unfortunately Android phones will always push updates. I'd suggest iOS, but I;m guessing that you'd be just as uncomfortable with the "cartoony" iOS interface.

Can you not turn the brightness down on the phone? There is also an app called lux auto brightness that will not only dim the display based on the ambient light levels, it can also change the color "temperature" of the display based on time, so you can, for example, add a sepia tone at night, or just "warm" the colors. You can try it out now on KitKat with a bright app like the twitter app to see if it helps.

Lux auto display: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.vito.lux
    Bitterman likes this.
    12-21-2015 07:16 PM
    I would be fine with updates if they didn't change the look of the phone as changing the look to bright white reduces functionality for me. I don't understand why there is no option to keep it VISUALLY the same. I don't understand why that is unreasonable? I want the phone to look like what it looked like when I paid for it. I don't want to dim it that just makes it harder to read. I just want to keep the BLACK background.

If I could at least get rid of the file I could go back to force stopping motoOTA everytime the phone restarts. Unfortunately I missed it one time and that was how it downloaded.

are there any carriers were updates are truly OPTIONAL and not force downloaded? I am willing to switch over this issue, honestly. I am really angry about it.
    12-21-2015 08:17 PM
    Rebecca, You really need to think longer term and find a solution that is future proof. Lollipop is already upgrading to Marshmallow, so you are talking about staying with an operating system and security flaws that are 2 generations old. Many people have complained about the "whiteness" that Android design has embraced, but it doesn't seem to be going away, and all of the rumors about a dark themed new version are just that. Many programs offer a dark or holo theme for reading at night, and the stock keyboard can be changed to the holo theme of Kitkat. Best of luck

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...-keyboard.html
    12-22-2015 08:09 AM
    You can also install the free keyboard app Swiftkey which comes with several free themes, at least one of which is dark.
    12-22-2015 11:00 AM