Two-factor authentication issue - Google Sync breaks

ossipago

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues trying to use two-factor authentication on a Google account with their phone?

When I turn on two-factor, my Google Sync breaks and I get a notification from Play Services to re-login. Makes sense. If I enter my password and then the code from the Google Authenticator app, the Play Services screen says "Checking info," then immediately minimizes. If I re-open, even after waiting 5+ minutes, it just asks me to login again. I have also tried using a device-specific password, but the password does not work for Google Sync.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

I'm on Android 5.1.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have a Droid Maxx, which hasn't received 5.1 yet (still on KitKat), but it has had no trouble with 2 factor authentication. My old Droid 3 was the same (though it needed an app specific passphrase to log in.)

It should work!

Here's what I would try if I were you:

- Turn off 2 factor, restart the phone, and ensure that Google services still work.

- Turn on 2-factor authentication on your account again, and then restart the phone. If you have another device that has an authenticator app for Google (the app Authy works on multiple devices, for instance), see if you can use that. If not, when you set up 2 factor you should have set up 10 backup verification codes, so you can use one of those.

Hopefully that will work...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc