Downloaded notifications double listed

katdoc

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from a Maxx HD to Turbo, and since I lost an SD card, I downloaded my personalized Notification Ringtones on the Turbo. Using OI file manager, I moved them from the download folder to the Notifications folder. Now it lists them twice in notifications list, not the folder, but only 1 has the actual ringtone. Ive searched everywhere to find the "empty" folders and cant find them either as hidden or nomedia, but they are still listed. Its a minor annoyance since it makes the list twice as long when I go to change tones. Any idea how to remove the duplicate that isnt the actual tone that I may be missing? Thanks for any help!

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've longed to tackle this issue myself. There is a system folder which probably has the same files you've put on, so they will be listed twice. There are some free apps that you can download and find out what duplicates there are, and erase those that you put on that are duplicates of what is already on the phone.

katdoc

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I used Duplicate File Fixer and it didnt find any duplicates of these particular files. I dont understand how if the file path is no longer there, they are still listed. Its quite annoying. Thanks for the response!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that comes to mind is that the media store database is not recognizing that the ringtones are moved, so "sees" them in the old location and the new, proper, location.

I could be wrong about this, but I think it's the media store database that also tracks ringtones.

This page details how to clear it: http://www.jrtstudio.com/iSyncr/Tutorials/How-To-Refresh-Android-Media-Cache

(There is a lot of stuff there about the app iSyncr that you can ignore. Just see the stuff about the media storage app. Make sure to restart the phone and maybe give it about ten minutes or so. )

I think it would be settings, apps, go to all, look for media storage and tap clear data. Make sure to restart the phone to kick off a new media scan.

It'd be interesting to see if that solves it for you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You do have to cycle off the phone for it to recognize added/removed sound files.
For added ringtones or music files, I have never had to power cycle. I'm not sure about removed ones - I rarely remove things.

It's a little embarrassing that Android still has this problem. Honestly, there should be a distinct setting to reset the media store database if this remains a problem rather than have to use the settings / apps wipe data trick.

The last time that I had to do this was a few years ago, after I installed the podcast app BeyondPod and then realized that the downloaded podcasts were showing up in Google Music. I didn't want podcasts to start playing when I was randomly playing music, particularly with my family in the car, and BP has a setting that adds a .nomedia to their folder, but the media storage didn't refresh to see that the media was no longer supposed to be in Google Music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12