UPDATE: 23.21.49.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US vzw, call performance, security patch

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that security update Motorola.. You bricked my phone.

Or should I say thanks to Verizon for that update.. I spent almost an entire precious Saturday on the phone with Verizon.. finding a store that carries a battery for my old Galaxy S3.

Installed the update on Droid Turbo, then phone kept rebooting every few minutes. Eventually turned it off totally and went to sleep.. Woke up this morning, turned it on and it worked fine for about 15 minutes and started that again when i tried to load an app.. Got Verizon on phone, tried to fix it, wouldnt let.. tried to reset deleting all files and erasing cache.. got to pick your language screen and it would lock and then reboot and it did that over and over for two hours until battery died.

Replacement will be here Monday.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Thanks for that security update Motorola.. You bricked my phone.

😞 I'm sorry to hear that the update bricked your device.

I hope you get a replacement that already has the update installed and it runs properly.

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

i almost talked Verizon guy into a deal on the HTC-10 before my contract expires but then thought that i want to see what the Nexus from HTC looks like later this year.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

They may not swap you for an S3, but they have to replace or reflash the the Droid. They broke it, they own it, in the US.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

That is really strange. The update worked just fine for me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I'd say it wasn't the update that caused the problem. Most likely the phone's flash storage was failing and the update is the first thing that hit it.

I'd get the warranty replacement, but one possible solution would have been to try flashing the firmware using Verizon's Software Update Assistant, or Software Repair Assistant (probably repair assistant). The only issue I've read with the SuA is that it will not work with USB 3 ports on Windows computers, but I've also seen reports of it fixing issues like yours.

As I'm generally unimpressed with Verizon's call in support, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they never mentioned this solution to you.

Initial Setup - Software Upgrade Assistant (Motorola) | Verizon Wireless
Repair Assistant - Software Upgrade Assistant (Motorola) | Verizon Wireless

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: New update but it's not Marshmallow

Screenshot_2016-05-15-12-51-41.jpgSo after getting the update I decided to Run Stagefright detector . And this is the result I got .
The Turbo is still vulnerable .

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: New update but it's not Marshmallow

That's pretty disappointing, since the 2013 Droids *just got* a security patch that fixes stagefright.

This must be solely for the call issue. Maybe there are other security patches. Fwiw, I've read of no Droids that were hit by stagefright, the sys partition is write protected anyway, and I'm sure if stagefright created a root-able exploit some people might actually be pretty pleased with that.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site

Studies show that "bricked" phones are way more secure, I would say the update did it's job. What seems to be the problem?... ;)

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: DROID TURBO UPDATE: April 2016 Security Patch

On the bright side my Phone battery life has gotten a little better . Wifi took a small hit not bad though . Chrome seems a little faster . Phone seems a little louder on calls , actually had to turn the volume down .

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

On the bright side my Phone battery life has gotten a little better . Wifi took a small hit not bad though . Chrome seems a little faster . Phone seems a little louder on calls , actually had to turn the volume down .

And why would a security update affect these phone functions?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

And why would a security update affect these phone functions?

It wasn't just a security update - the change log also says it fixes call issues, so that explains why that's better. Updates always re-optimize apps, so that may explain (probably temporary) battery and performance improvements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45