New Turbo - horrible battery standby time!?

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
So I picked up a brand new Turbo from a Verizon Corp store yesterday morning. $199 for the phone seemed like a no-brainer for a past flagship with a monster sized battery... or so I thought! This will be mainly a backup work phone and something I can take camping, hiking, etc when I dont want to bring my larger phones (Note 4 and MXPE).

I installed my bare min apps yesterday and it also installed a security update I think. It was running 5.1 out of the box. I also disabled a bunch of Verizon bloat. Apps installed were a lot less than my other phones, just things like Spotify, Nova Prime (not even setup yet!), ES File Explorer, a geocache app and my banking app. No FB or any other social networking apps, running Verizon Messenger+ for texts.

Gave it a full charge when I got it. Played around a bunch to set it up and get updates installed. Charged it again before bed and unplugged before going to bed to check battery drain overnight.

40% drained overnight! I have BT on, WiFi on, GPS at battery saving. I have Moto Display on as well. BUT - My MXPE with all those same things on and when it was running 5.1 would only lose 15-20% overnight (which I still think it too much but it was OK). With 6.0 it is obviously much better (around 10%).

To be fair I dont live in a good signal area but Verizon is the best so I need to stick with them. I need to check db but I am normally at 3G and 1-2 bars! But again, my other phones are sitting next to the Turbo and dont lose nearly this much.

Is this a break in for the battery? There were a few wakelocks during the night from battery graph but again, my MXPE has the same even with Doze, just less of them with 6.0.

Last edited:

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I picked up a brand new Turbo from a Verizon Corp store yesterday morning. $199 for the phone seemed like a no-brainer for a past flagship with a monster sized battery... or so I thought! This will be mainly a backup work phone and something I can take camping, hiking, etc when I dont want to bring my larger phones (Note 4 and MXPE).

I installed my bare min apps yesterday and it also installed a security update I think. It was running 5.1 out of the box. I also disabled a bunch of Verizon bloat. Apps installed were a lot less than my other phones, just things like Spotify, Nova Prime (not even setup yet!), ES File Explorer, a geocache app and my banking app. No FB or any other social networking apps, running Verizon Messenger+ for texts.

Gave it a full charge when I got it. Played around a bunch to set it up and get updates installed. Charged it again before bed and unplugged before going to bed to check battery drain overnight.

40% drained overnight! I have BT on, WiFi on, GPS at battery saving. I have Moto Display on as well. BUT - My MXPE with all those same things on and when it was running 5.1 would only lose 15-20% overnight (which I still think it too much but it was OK). With 6.0 it is obviously much better (around 10%).

To be fair I dont live in a good signal area but Verizon is the best so I need to stick with them. I get around -100db in strength. But again, my other phones are sitting next to the Turbo and dont lose nearly this much.

Is this a break in for the battery? There were a few wakelocks during the night from battery graph but again, my MXPE has the same even with Doze, just less of them with 6.0.
Alas, you took the update, so bootloader is now not unlockable. Meh, for a backup, it'll still kick butt on LP. My take on tbe battery issue? Things still settling in. Lots of 'Hi! How ya doin?' still going on over the system. You could also set up 'sleep' in Moto actions.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Alas, you took the update, so bootloader is now unlockable. Meh, for a backup, it'll still kick butt on LP. My take on tbe battery issue? Things still settling in. Lots of 'Hi! How ya doin?' still going on over the system. You could also set up 'sleep' in Moto actions.

Sleep is setup, it sleeps from 11PM to 6AM, same as my MXPE. I wanted to make them as similar as possible to gauge life. I was hoping for a lot better battery with the Turbo even without 6.0 installed.

I'll monitor it over a week. If it doesnt settle down after 7-9 days I'll take it back. I do normally charge at night but leaving it off after topping it up is the easiest way for me to monitor it while in standby mode.

BTW - I thought the bootloader was always unlockable on these... No? I know you have to pay to have it rooted, correct? I havent rooted and flashed ROM's in years now and would hate to do that to a brand new phone.

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sleep is setup, it sleeps from 11PM to 6AM, same as my MXPE. I wanted to make them as similar as possible to gauge life. I was hoping for a lot better battery with the Turbo even without 6.0 installed.

I'll monitor it over a week. If it doesnt settle down after 7-9 days I'll take it back. I do normally charge at night but leaving it off after topping it up is the easiest way for me to monitor it while in standby mode.

BTW - I thought the bootloader was always unlockable on these... No? I know you have to pay to have it rooted, correct? I havent rooted and flashed ROM's in years now and would hate to do that to a brand new phone.
Yeah, caught that bootloader info too late. You ARE shut out of unlocking. Helium will help you do backups of apps you install, and their data. When it comes out, you can update to Mm by flashing the xml file in RSDlite. You can't ever flash back, only forward.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, caught that bootloader info too late. You ARE shut out of unlocking. Helium will help you do backups of apps you install, and their data. When it comes out, you can update to Mm by flashing the xml file in RSDlite. You can't ever flash back, only forward.

Well that is a bummer, maybe I will go exchange it for the battery drain and then not take the Verizon update, at least until MM comes out. I was really hoping KitKat would still be on the phone but it was 5.1 right out of the box. I keep reading people loved 4.4 on this phone.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Today with little usage (24 minutes of screen time) my battery is draining at 4-5% per hour. I do have email sync for two accounts at every 15 minutes but it will be used as a backup for work so that needs to be on. Excellent wifi strength, still bad cell signal.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Bad cell signal will affect battery life unfortunately.

I realize that but it's sitting next to 3 other phones in the house and it's the only one losing 5% per hour. That's really excessive for just standby. It lost 50% over 10 hours of sitting on my desk with just 29 minutes of screen on time.

I'm hoping it will settle down over the next several days. I enjoyed using the phone when setting it up yesterday.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I returned my Turbo today. I used it exclusively for the weekend and during standby I couldnt get it below 4-5% per hour for drain which is just way too high. I should see that drain during moderate usage let alone sitting there. During use it would just ramp up the drain that much quicker.

If/when it gets 6.0 I may revisit the phone. I think Doze and the Force Doze app will go a long way towards helping standby time get down into the 1% range. Size of the phone is perfect for what I wanted. Screen was just OK, seemed a little yellowish. Camera was a bit laggy for the shutter but took decent photos of non-moving things. Forget taking quick shots of my toddlers. I am very used to the Moto "extras" and I like them/use them a lot. The twist to launch camera and chop for flashlight are great.

In the end it was the battery. I was hoping for stellar battery life so I didnt need to worry about charging all the time when camping/hiking. Just didnt happen.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it was the bad signal. My Turbo will drain a little under 1% per hour overnight at home, but closer to 2-3% or hour overnight when I'm staying somewhere with bad signal.

Last edited:

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site

To be fair I dont live in a good signal area but Verizon is the best so I need to stick with them. I need to check db but I am normally at 3G and 1-2 bars! But again, my other phones are sitting next to the Turbo and dont lose nearly this much.

Maybe it's refurbished? My original Turbo was a beast..battery would last a couple days. It recently was damaged so Verizon sent me a replacement- a refurbished Turbo. Same phone but after a few days and not nearly as many apps, the battery doesn't seem to be as good. I'm hoping it just needs time to get calibrated. Could be they're not manufacturing the Turbo anymore since the Turbo 2 is out? Possibly it's refurbished, and the battery is previously used.