I upgraded to Marshmallow on Christmas Day, then did a factory reset of my phone. I then restored almost all of the same apps, put all of the same settings into place and I seemed to notice improved battery life. I presume this is from the Doze function built into Marshmallow. I reset the GSam battery monitor on the 27th and started my experiment. It's been over a week so I figured the phone had been through enough daily cycles to see how much difference in battery life I was actually getting. I made sure that I ran the battery down to 15% in my after Marshmallow segment to match the same amount of battery used in the pre-Marshmallow segment.

Droid Turbo Battery Life--Before and After Marshmallow-battery-use-marshmallow.jpg

Droid Turbo Battery Life--Before and After Marshmallow-battery-use2-marshmallow.jpg

Some Observations:
    1. I'm getting almost an hour more screen-on time after Marshmallow than before. The display settings are the same before/after Marshmallow, except for one change--I set the Sleep time to inactivity to 5 minutes. Previously it had been 2 minutes.

2. The Held Awake time is about 12.8% of the time before Marshmallow; Held Awake after Marshmallow is about 25.3% of the time. Anybody have an explanation? Is this simply the fact that it took over 11 hours to get down to 15% after Marshmallow and a little over 6 hours to get there before Marshmallow?

3. The percent of power used by apps has been halved, going from 36% to 18%. Is this related to the Held Awake time being doubled? It seems it can't be a coincidence.

4. The percent of power used by Android OS is drastically reduced. Is this Doze at work? I don't understand how the percent Held Awake time could double and the percent of power used by Android OS would be slashed.

5. Side note: "Zap my screen" a Moto command for capturing screenshots, a great alternative to the clumsy method of simultaneously holding the power button and volume down button, is no longer an option.
    01-03-2017 10:39 AM
    It could be that the battery reporting API called some battery use Android OS on Lollipop and now categorizes it as Held Awake on Marshmallow. It could be that some of the special Moto app activities (watching for swiping over screen sensors, watching to see if you are moving faster than 20 mph - ie., driving, listening for the Moto Voice command) have to be accomplished with more awake time under Marshmallow than they did under Lollipop.

GSAM would be a lot more useful if you could see exactly what is holding the phone awake.

I wouldn't worry about it - you are getting better battery life.
    01-03-2017 12:03 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it - you are getting better battery life.
    Yes, I was pleasantly surprised. I had been thinking of replacing the battery but now I might hold off on that idea.
    01-03-2017 12:27 PM
    Meanwhile, my battery now lasts 12 hours since the MM update. Awful.
    01-03-2017 02:14 PM
    Meanwhile, my battery now lasts 12 hours since the MM update. Awful.
    Stay away from N!

My Nexus 6 (nearly identical internals as the Droid Turbo) battery life was pretty good on L and M, I could go from 6:30 AM to 10:00 PM every day with fairly heavy usage, but starting the day I installed N, now I can hardly make it to noon before I have to find a power outlet. Very disappointing. I have the same apps (tried deleting most). I don't use FB or other social media apps. I tried clearing the cache partition.

I'm thinking of flashing the M image to get my old battery life back, but who's got time for that?
    gilgamess3 likes this.
    01-03-2017 03:44 PM
    I've been pleasantly surprised since the MM update. To be able to get 24 hours with 25-30% battery life remaining makes me happy.
    01-10-2017 09:42 AM
    I have noticed a small increase in battery life. If I had to guess 20%.

I went through and disabled a bunch of stuff that had access to background data. Attaching an example.

But I also ordered a new battery that will be here this week.

01-10-2017 05:26 PM
    On Saturday I installed a new icon pack (Vnyl, if you're interested) and spent a hour or so configuring it. Also did a bunch of web surfing, Tapatalk use, news reading, etc. Basically, it was a screen intensive day, but not much processing power used. I got well over 6 hours of screen-on time! (My screen brightness is set to about 40% and Adaptive Brightness is on.)

Droid Turbo Battery Life--Before and After Marshmallow-battery-use-012817a.jpg
    mobrules likes this.
    01-30-2017 09:50 AM
    for me the opposite...after MM, a very hard battery draining, most in aiplane and in standby...it's a shame...no gps, no 4g, no bluetooth activated...what happened???
    02-06-2017 04:57 PM
    Anybody found a solution for battery drain apart from checking the phone?
    10-04-2017 10:23 AM