Longtime Droid Turbo owner here that recently moved into a Pixel 2 XL. I loved my Droid Turbo but the battery was getting fatigued and sometimes I couldn't make it through a complete day. In the beginning the Turbo could handle almost two full days of use, but no more.

Back when the Turbo first came out a little over three years ago, there were some lively discussions on this forum, some involving the Turbo's camera. I fell on the side of defending the camera (for the most part) but realized it had shortcomings. At the time it was a pretty good camera. But man, have cameras improved.

Here is a comparison shot of a dark room that I took a couple of days after I got my Pixel 2 XL. It was a little bit after sunset. The room was fairly dark. Both cameras were on auto with no flash. The difference in the quality of the photos is astonishing. The Pixel 2 XL doesn't even know the room is dark!

Droid Turbo vs. Pixel 2 XL Camera Comparison, Low Light-chaircomparo_lores.jpg

My criteria for phones is 1.) great battery and 2.) great camera. The Pixel 2 XL has better battery life than the Turbo ever did and you can see the stark difference in the camera. One other thing on the camera. On the Turbo there was often a slight delay after pressing the screen to take the shot and when the actual shot was captured. Not so with the Pixel 2 XL--you touch the shutter and the picture is taken.
    12-13-2017 04:20 PM
    Longtime Droid Turbo owner here that recently moved into a Pixel 2 XL. I loved my Droid Turbo but the battery was getting fatigued and sometimes I couldn't make it through a complete day. In the beginning the Turbo could handle almost two full days of use, but no more.

Back when the Turbo first came out a little over three years ago, there were some lively discussions on this forum, some involving the Turbo's camera. I fell on the side of defending the camera (for the most part) but realized it had shortcomings. At the time it was a pretty good camera. But man, have cameras improved.

Here is a comparison shot of a dark room that I took a couple of days after I got my Pixel 2 XL. It was a little bit after sunset. The room was fairly dark. Both cameras were on auto with no flash. The difference in the quality of the photos is astonishing. The Pixel 2 XL doesn't even know the room is dark!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChairComparo_lores.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	275740

My criteria for phones is 1.) great battery and 2.) great camera. The Pixel 2 XL has better battery life than the Turbo ever did and you can see the stark difference in the camera. One other thing on the camera. On the Turbo there was often a slight delay after pressing the screen to take the shot and when the actual shot was captured. Not so with the Pixel 2 XL--you touch the shutter and the picture is taken.
    1, did you consider replacing the battery?
    2, have you tried the non-stock Motorola camera update?
    12-13-2017 06:34 PM
    1, did you consider replacing the battery?
    2, have you tried the non-stock Motorola camera update?
    Yes, I considered replacing the battery. After thoroughly researching it (forums, blogs, Amazon reviews, ebay reviews) I decided it wasn't worth it. There are "good" replacement batteries and bad replacement batteries and there is no way of knowing which one you are going to get. Some people said they were pleased with the results while others said the new battery was no better than the worn out one they replaced. Also, people reported that the disassembly/assembly was somewhat tricky.

I don't know what you mean by non-stock Motorola camera update. I have tried third party camera apps from the Google Play store. I've tried Camera FV-5, Camera Zoom FX, and Google Camera. Ultimately, I always went back to the stock Moto camera app as picture quality was about the same and ease of use was the best. Camera Zoom FX actually took noticeably worse pictures. None of these apps can overcome the hardware limitations of the camera sensor in the Droid Turbo. Also, the Droid Turbo camera does not have optical image stabilization.
    12-13-2017 06:59 PM
    Yes, I considered replacing the battery. After thoroughly researching it (forums, blogs, Amazon reviews, ebay reviews) I decided it wasn't worth it. There are "good" replacement batteries and bad replacement batteries and there is no way of knowing which one you are going to get. Some people said they were pleased with the results while others said the new battery was no better than the worn out one they replaced. Also, people reported that the disassembly/assembly was somewhat tricky.

I don't know what you mean by non-stock Motorola camera update. I have tried third party camera apps from the Google Play store. I've tried Camera FV-5, Camera Zoom FX, and Google Camera. Ultimately, I always went back to the stock Moto camera app as picture quality was about the same and ease of use was the best. Camera Zoom FX actually took noticeably worse pictures. None of these apps can overcome the hardware limitations of the camera sensor in the Droid Turbo. Also, the Droid Turbo camera does not have optical image stabilization.
    Yeah, the battery replacement can be a little daunting for the uninitiated. I was referring to the updated Motorola camera app that was never pushed to the Droid turbos. Somebody ported it from a more recent phone
    12-29-2017 12:07 AM
    Why is my post not getting through? It's being called spam?
    02-10-2018 11:06 PM