Where is the SD card slot located?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't look like it supports SD cards. Remember that Motorola is owned by Google, and Google has been moving away from SD cards for a while now.

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't look like it supports SD cards. Remember that Motorola is owned by Google, and Google has been moving away from SD cards for a while now.

wow... really? :(

with only 16GB and a dual-core processor... it's almost like Motorola is begging us not to buy it?

Hello Moto.... correction: Bye-Bye Moto! :D

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

with only 16GB and a dual-core processor... it's almost like Motorola is begging us not to buy it?

Actually it's a QuadCore. DOH! Only two for apps. The other two are for always on and for something else.

Still, not MicroSD = EPIC FAIL!
720P screen like my Razr HD and not enough to get me off the $600+ it will cost me off contract.

Last edited:

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

I was looking at the Droid Maxx and it said 32GB internal. Of course who knows how much actual space will be left for us to use.

I was actually going to buy the Droid Maxx - despite the non-removable battery, despite the SoC, despite thew fact I have to pay $699 to keep my unlimited data. Now there is no microSD either?

I agree with you. With all things considered - Bye-Bye Moto! :(

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
SD card slot/no SD card slot is not going to make a significant impact on the sales numbers of this phone.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
SD card slot/no SD card slot is not going to make a significant impact on the sales numbers of this phone.

You are probably correct. But I also don't see much reason for an "average" consumer to choose these over something like the Galaxy S4. I expect Moto will have similar mediocre sales as they had with the Razr.

It doesn't seem like a "hit the ball out of the park" type of device to me, which Moto could have used right about now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You are probably correct. But I also don't see much reason for an "average" consumer to choose these over something like the Galaxy S4. I expect Moto will have similar mediocre sales as they had with the Razr.

It doesn't seem like a "hit the ball out of the park" type of device to me, which Moto could have used right about now.

Which phone do you think a Verizon rep would push harder? A "DROID" or an S4?

The RAZR bested even the iPhone during some months. Within that carrier, I'd make a guess that the RAZR line holds it's own against the S4 and the iPhone.

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

The RAZR bested even the iPhone during some months. Within that carrier, I'd make a guess that the RAZR line holds it's own against the S4 and the iPhone.

Do Verizon corporate stores account for that many sales? In my town, there are two Verizon corporate stores, compared to 11 Best Buy stores, 4 Walmarts, 4 Costcos, and who knows how many third-party authorized sellers... not to mention online sales... I haven't purchase phones in person in ages... all purchased online.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm also pretty sure that reps get paid more for selling droid branded devices than they do non droid branded devices.

Sent from my paranoid s3...

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Actually it's a QuadCore. DOH! Only two for apps. The other two are for always on and for something else.

720P screen like my Razr HD and not enough to get me off the $600+ it will cost me off contract.

I wish the Motorola engineers had the cojones to keep the SD card slots and to tell Google to shove their SD card slots up where the sun don't shine.
Unfortunately, Motorola's engineers are now technically Google employees... so that'll never happen. :(

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I wish the Motorola engineers had the cojones to keep the SD card slots and to tell Google to shove their SD card slots up where the sun don't shine.
Unfortunately, Motorola's engineers are now technically Google employees... so that'll never happen. :(

I used to think sd slots were a must have but they aren't. 32gb of internal storage is more than enough.

Sent from my HTC ONE fully converted to the Google Play Edition

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com

How did the Droid Razr M, Droid Razr HD, and Droid Razr Maxx HD do sales wise against the Galaxy S3? I don't have sales figures, but my impression is the S3 sold more than the Motos because Moto is still in troubles and Samsung has had the biggest share of handsets sold in the Android space. I realize you can't compare over all S3 or S4 handset sales against these Verizon Only Motos, but it does give Samsung more mind share. It is what makes me worried about sales vs G S4, especially considering the S4's head start in the market, Samsung's buzz coming off the very very popular S3, and Samsung's advertising and marketing departments. Not to mention the price point of the Ultra $199.99 vs 16gig S4 $199.99 per Verizon's web site.

As for the original question... "where's the SD card slot located?"

I'd like to know too :(

With tiered data plans, having extra local storage for MP3's and such is a big advantage, or in this case, not having one is a big negative. 16gig storage for apps/games/music/pix/videos could be a problem. Just look at the "uproar" in the S4 forums about the lack of free storage space on the 16gig S4, at least Pix, Videos and MP3's could be stored on uSD in those phones, and now Samsung can include "Apps2SD" as a feature (even it it does't really help). So it makes me question how will the Droid Mini and Droid Ultra do with only 16gig and no uSD? example: 3min 40sec HD video of my son taken on my S4 is 400Meg. Install something like Asphalt 7 (takes over 1.2gig for app/data), drop a few MP3's on there, and the internal 16gig storage gets taken up fast.

The Droid Maxx will do better with its 32gig built in storage, and much bigger battery, especially since the 32gig S4 is not as easy to get (it appears to be online only), however it is at a higher price point, at right now.
t "keep up" and in some cases are still a step or two behind. I guess I don't have as much confidence in these devices selling as others might.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I used to think sd slots were a must have but they aren't. 32gb of internal storage is more than enough.

Let's note though, of the three newly announced DROIDs, only the DROID MAXX ships with 32GB of internal storage.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How did the Droid Razr M, Droid Razr HD, and Droid Razr Maxx HD do sales wise against the Galaxy S3? I don't have sales figures, but my impression is the S3 sold more than the Motos because Moto is still in troubles and Samsung has had the biggest share of handsets sold in the Android space. I realize you can't compare over all S3 or S4 handset sales against these Verizon Only Motos, but it does give Samsung more mind share. It is what makes me worried about sales vs G S4, especially considering the S4's head start in the market, Samsung's buzz coming off the very very popular S3, and Samsung's advertising and marketing departments. Not to mention the price point of the Ultra $199.99 vs 16gig S4 $199.99 per Verizon's web site.

The S3 probably sold more than the 2012 RAZR line. My guess is that month-to-month, it was S3 or the iPhone line leading with the RAZR line right behind in third. They probably also sold more Ms than HD/HD MAXX as well.

But here's another take - the S3 was widely available. The RAZR line were Verizon exclusives. I don't see many people switching to Verizon to get the S3 unless they were upset with their carrier. I do see people switching to Verizon because of the RAZR (more for the M and the previous RAZR non-HD MAXX).

With Motorola becoming the exclusive partner for the DROID-brand (everyone assumes all DROIDs are Motorolas anyways), we'll see a very strong push by Verizon on this new lineup of DROIDs. I'm not saying they'll repeat the mindshare success from the original DROID, but I fully expect Verizon and Motorola to outdo last year's RAZR line with this year's MINI, ULTRA, and MAXX.

As for the original question... "where's the SD card slot located?"

I'd like to know too :(

With tiered data plans, having extra local storage for MP3's and such is a big advantage, or in this case, not having one is a big negative. 16gig storage for apps/games/music/pix/videos could be a problem. Just look at the "uproar" in the S4 forums about the lack of free storage space on the 16gig S4, at least Pix, Videos and MP3's could be stored on uSD in those phones, and now Samsung can include "Apps2SD" as a feature (even it it does't really help). So it makes me question how will the Droid Mini and Droid Ultra do with only 16gig and no uSD? example: 3min 40sec HD video of my son taken on my S4 is 400Meg. Install something like Asphalt 7 (takes over 1.2gig for app/data), drop a few MP3's on there, and the internal 16gig storage gets taken up fast.

The Droid Maxx will do better with its 32gig built in storage, and much bigger battery, especially since the 32gig S4 is not as easy to get (it appears to be online only), however it is at a higher price point, at right now.
t "keep up" and in some cases are still a step or two behind. I guess I don't have as much confidence in these devices selling as others might.

Best answer? Google doesn't want it. They've proven that ever since the Nexus S. That was years ago.

That said, I'm willing to bet that people just don't care that much about SD cards.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
...Best answer? Google doesn't want it. They've proven that ever since the Nexus S. That was years ago.

That said, I'm willing to bet that people just don't care that much about SD cards.
Yeah, I know they want us to use their cloud services instead.

I guess I'm in the minority, and just used to storing everything I need (music, games I want to play, take videos when out with the family and dont have my camera, etc) on my phone (well an micro SD installed in the phone) and not having to rely on wireless coverage or my data (thankfully still unlimited, for as long as I can)...

Maybe its time for me to go back to carrying separate phone, mp3 player and cameras around all the time like the "good old days" :'(

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

I have a 64GB Micro SD in my phone for movies and such.
Non-removable storage is a fail. If the phone dies, what do you do???
I don't buy the whole idea of back up to the cloud. Currently I keep important things on the SD.
I rarely use phone storage.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
With or without is fine with me. As to cloud storage, I will say it's ultimately more reliable - remember, while the phone could indeed fail, so can the SD card. For me, the qualifier is having ample phone storage - of any type.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

honestly.. who buys phones off contract.. thats one hell of an expense vice.. I'd rather take up smoking crack.