I dropped in to my Verizon store yesterday and looked at the new Droids, along with the HTC One. First off, I thought the One would blow me away. It's pretty, but I don't get the big deal about the aluminum body. It doesn't feel any more solid than any of the top end phones. It just looks nice. But does it feel better? No.

I was amazed at how LIGHT the new droids are. Even the Maxx. These things weigh nothing, and are really thin. Again, even the Maxx. I don't see much advantage to the Ultra over the Maxx in terms of size. It's slightly heavier, but you have to heft it to tell. It's also very slightly thicker, but not enough to make the slightest difference. What I did like was the red Ultra - very sharp. I also like the feel of the Maxx. That kevlar back is grippy and comfortable. And it's only $10 more. I wish there was a red Maxx! I think I am settling on the Maxx, but who knows - I may change my mind. I do wish the Ultra had Qi charging.

And oh yeah, the Mini. Wow, I like that phone! Motorola did some amazing things here.
    Jaredshoes likes this.
    08-23-2013 07:14 AM
    Cant go wrong with a 3500 battery. I am getting spoiled fast.
    08-23-2013 02:58 PM
    I dropped in to my Verizon store yesterday and looked at the new Droids, along with the HTC One. First off, I thought the One would blow me away. It's pretty, but I don't get the big deal about the aluminum body. It doesn't feel any more solid than any of the top end phones. It just looks nice. But does it feel better? No.

I was amazed at how LIGHT the new droids are. Even the Maxx. These things weigh nothing, and are really thin. Again, even the Maxx. I don't see much advantage to the Ultra over the Maxx in terms of size. It's slightly heavier, but you have to heft it to tell. It's also very slightly thicker, but not enough to make the slightest difference. What I did like was the red Ultra - very sharp. I also like the feel of the Maxx. That kevlar back is grippy and comfortable. And it's only $10 more. I wish there was a red Maxx! I think I am settling on the Maxx, but who knows - I may change my mind. I do wish the Ultra had Qi charging.

And oh yeah, the Mini. Wow, I like that phone! Motorola did some amazing things here.
    I picked up the red Ultra on launch day. The red color won me over. I admit though, I am very tempted to exchange it for the Maxx. Wireless charging, double the storage and the battery are very convincing. If they had a red Maxx, I would have gotten it. I also admit, I am thinking heavily about the HTC One. So many choices this week...
    08-23-2013 03:27 PM
    How is the battery life on it

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    08-23-2013 05:09 PM
    So far it is very good. 37%@22hrs. Will post pic when not on mobile app

Posted via Android Central App
    08-23-2013 08:45 PM
    Thanks would love to see a pic with screen on time Im in the same boat live the red but also like battery

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    08-23-2013 10:24 PM
    MAXX battery. Almost no Wi-Fi, spent the entire night on YouTube, Chrome, Pulse, Tapatalk, Currents etc etc. When the screen was off had music playing through headset and BT mixed use.

The phone actually lasted another 10 minutes screen on after that last picture, but was back on Wi-Fi again.

I had 4g the entire night, but only 2 to 3 bars.

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.
    08-24-2013 01:36 AM

Can't even imagine why anyone would buy an ultra over the maxx.

08-25-2013 02:29 PM
    Can't even imagine why anyone would buy an ultra over the maxx.

This. The Mini, Max and X are the three to consider IMO

08-25-2013 06:55 PM
    I have to agree, if money is no object and you're choosing between the Maxx and The Ultra, choose the Maxx for the battery. But I must say, Verizon is offering a great employee deal right now on the Ultra. Employee edition phone, very nice case (I forget the brand), and Sol Republic ear buds, all for $99. My husband and I are on our daughter's employee account, so if my upgrade date wasn't October 31st I could take advantage of this! Daughter is eligible for her upgrade now so I tried to talk her into switching with me - she said no deal. :-( Ungrateful kid...... ;-)
    08-25-2013 09:52 PM
    I ordered the employee edition when it was first announced. It got pushed back to the 27th so they credited me $100. I was going to return it for either the Mini or the One but the Ultra for free is way, way, way too good of a deal

Westiemom likes this.
    08-26-2013 10:18 AM
    I decided to stop in our local Verizon store today and actually look at the new Droids and the Moto X in person. I spent some time handling each one - the X, the Maxx, the Ultra, and the Mini. I kept going back and forth and handling each one and swiping through the screens. What surprised me is that I didn't care much for the Moto X and I'm talking about just the form factor. That really, really surprised me because after all I've read I thought it would wow me. After hands on with all of them I know I will want the Ultra. Why? I really loved the feel of that phone....and I know that is contradictory to what all the reviewers feel. But for me personally, I just LIKED it! Of course I really liked the max too and that is what my husband will get for sure. He really needs a monster battery - he has the original Razr Maxx now and he wouldn't give up that battery life! But for me, I can save $100 and get the Ultra and I think I will be quite happy. Now if that $99 employee price will just still be there at the end of October or I can change the ungrateful daughter's mind about swapping upgrade dates, I'll be a happy camper!
    09-02-2013 06:00 PM
    I decided to stop in our local Verizon store today and actually look at the new Droids and the Moto X in person. I spent some time handling each one - the X, the Maxx, the Ultra, and the Mini. I kept going back and forth and handling each one and swiping through the screens. What surprised me is that I didn't care much for the Moto X and I'm talking about just the form factor. That really, really surprised me because after all I've read I thought it would wow me. After hands on with all of them I know I will want the Ultra. Why? I really loved the feel of that phone....and I know that is contradictory to what all the reviewers feel. But for me personally, I just LIKED it! Of course I really liked the max too and that is what my husband will get for sure. He really needs a monster battery - he has the original Razr Maxx now and he wouldn't give up that battery life! But for me, I can save $100 and get the Ultra and I think I will be quite happy. Now if that $99 employee price will just still be there at the end of October or I can change the ungrateful daughter's mind about swapping upgrade dates, I'll be a happy camper!
    Well there you go. Someone likes the ultra.

09-02-2013 09:31 PM
    Now if that $99 employee price will just still be there at the end of October or I can change the ungrateful daughter's mind about swapping upgrade dates, I'll be a happy camper!
    If I was paying the bill, I probably wouldn't give her the choice.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-07-2013 01:12 PM
    If I was paying the bill, I probably wouldn't give her the choice.
    Back in the day I wouldn't have. But she's the one who works for Verizon and we're on HER account now. Of course for many years it was the other way around. We are on her account so we can get the discount, but we pay our part of the bill and she pays her's. So I don't have any leverage any more like in the good 'ole "I'm the Mom and I say so" days. Lol!
    09-07-2013 05:50 PM