My Ultra will be here tomorrow

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
This forum doesn't look like it is too active. It seems everyone who wants a Motorola is going for the X or the Maxx. Well I prefer the bigger screen of the Ultra over the X and the Maxx is too expensive for my budget (my husband however, will be getting it in a couple of months) and I don't need a marathon battery for my desk-bound life. (Not to mention I got the employee edition Ultra for $99 so it was a budget saver.) So I'm happy and excited to be coming back to Android after my fling with WP8, which I love by the way, but just found myself missing a lot of things about Android. Plus the new features of the Moto phones really drew me. So I'm hoping I'll be happy for the next year! :)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Congrats, you're getting a great phone. I got mine on day 1 and haven't looked back. Yeah, this forum is usually pretty dead. I mostly hang out in the Maxx forum since they're pretty much the same phone anything that applies to the Maxx will likely apply to the Ultra.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You should enjoy the phone a lot. I have the Maxx but as said just above this post their identical performance wise minus the battery. Feel free to ask any questions if you need to. :)

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Got my phone Tuesday. First of all, it's beautiful. I don't know what some of the review sites I've read are talking about when they say its cheap feeling or awkward. I think it's just the opposite. It feels great in the hand to me, and I'm a woman with average size hands and I can operate it one handed for the most part. Plus, it feels solid and well put together. Nothing cheap about it at all to me. So that's all good!

The screen is great - bright and beautiful, but my HTC 8X had a very nice screen too so that's not a big change for me, except the Ultra's is bigger and I like that A LOT!

Motorola Assist is great so far; it startled me the second day I had my phone. I was driving home from the office for lunch and I hear, "You have a text message from _____ would you like me to read it to you?" After I jumped, I replied, "Yes" and it read the message. Then it asked if I would like to reply to _____ that I was driving and would get back to her. So I said yes. That was really cool! It did the same thing again on my way back to the office when I received a text from my daughter. So, so far if seems that Assist works very well! I think that is a great safety feature while driving so to me that alone was worth the switch!

I am also enjoying the notifications. Having been in training meetings the last two days, it was great to just nudge my phone to see the time or if I had a text or email I needed to respond to. I am already addicted to that!

I'm also enjoying some apps again I couldn't get on my Windows phone, like Flipboard and Pulse. (Although I do have to say that WP8 had some very, very good news apps, like Weave, that I really enjoyed. Also, the live tiles for a lot of apps are really beautiful. Just have to defend it some because it's really nice - just still growing!).

My Ultra has been smooth and lag-free too. Nice scrolling and responsiveness. I find it easy to read too. I like to read books through my Kindle app at night and it has been great for that. No strain on the eyes and text looks good.

Okay Google Now has been good sometimes and not others because sometimes it just doesn't respond. But I suspect that some of that is my fault as I'm still in a learning curve with it. I'm wondering too if it gets better with use as it adjusts to your voice and you adjust to it's "expectations." (As if it's alive! Haha!)

Battery life has been pretty great, especially for a new phone. I'm unplugging around 3:00 to 5:00 am and the lowest battery level so far at 10:00 pm has been 33%. To me that's good because I expect to plug it in at night. I do miss the wireless charging however that I had with the 8X. I will give my charging pad to my husband when he gets his Maxx in November though. (He really needs that giant battery life. He is on the road all day and using the GPS constantly. He has the original Razr Maxx right now and it's been great for him.)

My only issue so far is 4G and Wi-Fi connectivity. I've had Motorola phones before and that has been one of their greatest strengths. Motorola has always been the best in the biz for that and it's one of the reasons I chose to go with them again. However, I have consistently had only one to 2 bars on my 4G and even my Wi-Fi at home. Sometimes while browsing the Play Store it will tell me the connection is lost and it happened once while reading a news article. Nothing is different about my location; still living and working in the same place! So that is my ONLY disappointment. I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue or if there is a solution. To only have 1or 2 bars is especially surprising with Motorola.

All-in-all this is a beautiful phone and I've already got one co-worker who is chomping at the bit to get one!

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Glad you're enjoying your phone. I'm very surprised that you're having reception problems. I'm coming from a Bionic and my reception is far superior. I don't think I've seen anything less than 4 bars, and my LTE speed is about 50% better than my Bionic was. You might want to try a factory reset and if that's no help then maybe return it. It's not like a Moto phone to have poor reception.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Okay, talked to Verizon and all is well with my phone. Evidently some work going on somewhere that influenced the 4G network. Checked my husband's original Razr Maxx when he got home and he was just getting 1 or 2 bars also and he normally gets more. So non-issue.

I am loving this phone more every day. I don't understand the bad reviews for the Ultra and great reviews for the Maxx when they are the same phone. Okay, the Maxx battery is bigger (don't know about you guys but I'm getting very good battery life), it has a larger internal storage capacity (the cloud works great for me - get used to it folks), and it has wireless charging. You can certainly give the Maxx extra points for those things, but come on! They are the same in every other way and to pan the Ultra makes no sense. One review even said the width of the phone made it feel unwieldy in the hand. Really? I find it very nice to hold - feels substantial and not the least unwieldy. And they didn't seem to think the same thing about the S4, the Maxx, and every other 5 inch screen phone. Good grief!

Whatever, I'm loving it and that's what matters to me.

BTW, I always want to yell, "hello.....(echo, echo, echo) is anybody here?" when I get on this forum. :D

Rider646

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear you're loving your Ultra. I've had mine for a month now and I can say nothing but positive things about it. Battery life (which is pretty good) and storage weren't a factor for me so the Ultra was the best choice and the screen size is just right.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar