volume on lowest still too loud

mb1268mb

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Interesting to find this thread. I have the same issue on my BLU phone with android 4.2.1. The built in music app is just too loud on the first volume setting. I wish i knew if this was the phone's volume control issue or an android OS issue with 4.2.1. My previous android phone which was on an older android OS had no such issues with volume. On the lowest setting, one really should not be able to hear the words of the music clearly with the headphones laying on the desktop more that a foot away from my ear. I'm going to try the fine volume control app and see if that helps.

mb1268mb

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep Fine Volume Control app (FVC) trial works but it's $2.99 to buy. Disappointing that android isn't addressing this issue. My lowest phone volume is 13% by FVC standards...and 0 to 1% on FVC is where I like it here at work.

gflexuser

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I like to listen to music in a very low noise work enviroment with a pait Bose noise cancelling headphones. So, even on the lowest settings the music is too loud. The DSP manager app is the only app I found that gets the music even lower. Thanks!!

tabspb

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Ok. I've had the same issue that volume 1 setting was full blast. At least 1/2 volume down would be better. It's all about the music and that unadjustable volume was frustrating. I have a different phone but think Android issues are universal. Most complaints were about the ugly new Google bar at the top of each page that cannot be removed or made transparent. The headphones that came with the phone have a little knob on the wire like an old speaker phone headset. By long pressing the knob you will get the "speak, I'm listening" Google page. The volume probably has to be lock-set by the manufacturer so Google can hear you respond. I think they standardized this but didn't inform anyone. A double tap at each end will forward or playback the music track you're listening to. So I had a different pair of earbuds that has a volume slider on that knob instead. WORKS PERFECTLY as a volume control. You can find one at most retailers. Just look for the knob that "adjusts volume" since there's different settings on different buds.

Thanks to all the Android Central members that have been so informative. It made my phone switch much quicker than just trying, failing and possibly damaging my new unit. Hope I was able to help someone too.

Jon Dane

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
I found out how to manually set the different volume for each and every volume level.

I found the solution I needed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si3y9MePWZk

You enter Engineer Mode by entering this code in the dialer: *#*#3646633#*#*

When you enter Engineer Mode:

1) Scroll to the right until you reach the tab "Hardware Testing".
2) Select "Audio".
3) Select "LoudSpeaker Mode", if you only want to modify the output from the loudspeaker.
4) Change the "Type" drop-down to "Media", which will affect music playback volume, as well as the volume of your applications.
5) Open the "Level" drop down, which should have 14 levels, note how the values under the drop-down change every time you pick a different level, those are the values that you need to modify.
6) Set appropriate volumes for each level, but never go beyond the volume of level 14, or risk damaging your loudspeaker. I also recommend writing down the original volumes in case you want to restore them. You can have music running in the background while doing this, it will help you set the right volumes while listening.

I am not familiar with the other functions of Engineer Mode and I recommend not touching anything else.

Some Body

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi. I just bought the Ultra yesterday and uploaded all of my music. When I put my headphones on, I naturally put the volume on the lowest, just above mute. I never listen to music loud. I noticed that even in the lowest setting, it is too loud. It is almost like their version of low is loud. I have looked this up a bit online. Seems like this is an Android thing. Is there anyway to fix this? I tried numerous apps but no luck. I am in the process if contacting Motorola. Great phone just weird flaw.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Posted via Android Central App

This is a well-known problem with Android. It can be resolved by entering engineer mode and lowering the lowest "Media" audio level setting.

Search for "engineer mode Android". There are also apps that might get you into engineer mode, depending on your phone specs.

Last edited:

siryk

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like a defective unit. If the problem persists, return to a local store for a new one.

Guys, i know that it is based on sound file quality, if you use very quality file or mp3 file, than there is problem with loudness. so convert this mp3 to worse quality and it is going.

Thomas Carter2

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
Sounds like a defective unit. If the problem persists, return to a local store for a new one.

The only defective thing here is Android itself. As usual. Its programmers can mess as simple thing as volume control. Google has no shame giving such product to the enduser. And the problem still persists, so the bump doesn't matter.

If rooting is the answer for anything, Android doesn't deserve to live.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The only defective thing here is Android itself. As usual. Its programmers can mess as simple thing as volume control. Google has no shame giving such product to the enduser. And the problem still persists, so the bump doesn't matter.

You are responding to a post from 2013.
I have a Droid Ultra sitting in drawer somewhere. Its lowest volume was fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Wrong, thanks for playing.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay