The microphone on my Ultra suddenly stopped working. Any idea what will fix this?

A

AC Question

The microphone on my Ultra suddenly stopped working Any idea what will fix this?

It doesn't work for phone calls, voice to text, and voice memos (records static). It will work fine for video recordings. It's not the case. I also tried restarting the phone and deleting the cache in downloaded apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: The microphone on my Ultra suddenly stopped working Any idea what will fix this?

Welcome to Android Central! The primary phone mic (the one nearest your mouth) is either blocked or faulty. Check the opening of the mic and see if it's clogged by lint or other gunk--you can use a needle or safety pin to gently scrape it out. If it's clean and it still doesn't work, the microphone is likely broken. To be sure, boot into Safe Mode to make sure it isn't some 3rd party app causing instability: Restart the Device in Safe Mode - DROID Mini / DROID Ultra / DROID Maxx by Motorola | Verizon Wireless

Audio in video recordings probably still works because the secondary mic (nearer the top of the phone) is still working. You might notice that the audio in the videos only comes out one ear.

Speakerphone often uses the secondary mic, so for now, if you need to make a phone call, turn on speakerphone.