Gmail update + launcherpro dock notification??

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
From the launcher pro page:

I just received some pretty sad news. The API that LauncherPro uses to access your Gmail messages (used on the Gmail widget and the Gmail dock notifications) is being removed in the next version of the Gmail app for Android 2.2 and higher. Apparently the API does not meet modern security standards.

What this means for LauncherPro users is once you update to this new version, your LauncherPro Plus Gmail widget, and LauncherPro Gmail dock notifications will stop working, and even potentially crash the launcher if you try to use them (I don’t have access to this upcoming version yet, so I cannot fully test it).

I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause, and hope that the Android team will come out with a revised API soon enough, so that we can re-gain our Gmail integration in LauncherPro.

Fede

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
From the launcher pro page:

I just received some pretty sad news. The API that LauncherPro uses to access your Gmail messages (used on the Gmail widget and the Gmail dock notifications) is being removed in the next version of the Gmail app for Android 2.2 and higher. Apparently the API does not meet modern security standards.

What this means for LauncherPro users is once you update to this new version, your LauncherPro Plus Gmail widget, and LauncherPro Gmail dock notifications will stop working, and even potentially crash the launcher if you try to use them (I don?t have access to this upcoming version yet, so I cannot fully test it).

I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause, and hope that the Android team will come out with a revised API soon enough, so that we can re-gain our Gmail integration in LauncherPro.

Fede

Well that sucks. But thank you for posting.

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Now both SMS and Missed call notifier not working either on Go Launcher. I updated yesterday both GMail and GO Launcher and today the notification in dock bar completely broken. Any body else?

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
All notifier apps will not work with the new Gmail. Sucks. Hopefully they will re-write the apps to work. Gmail Unread Count was killer.

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
FWIW: I noticed on my Gmail app an option to uninstall the update. Unfortunately, doing this yields same result: No notifications. Why would Google do this? IMHO these third part apps are what makes owning a Android phone fun.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Most likely a security issue. That's why the removed that option that's my thinking they changed it

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
This really Sucks....since uninstalling the update seems to not have resolved issue, would resetting the phone to factory bring back the functionality? I use gmail widget functionality heavily and it is an important part of why I like Android. This adds a serious crimp for me.:(

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Since uninstalling the update doesn't work, I tried rolling back to 2.3.4.1 by making a backup of the apk on my wife's D2 that hadn't been updated yet & emailing to myself. No dice. I only got force closes & had to reinstall 2.3.5.

This sucks. I hope they add the ability back in. Does anyone know if it still works on 3rd party email programs, like K-9?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I read yesterday that if you have a backup of Gmail before the update, and you move the apk or the app you use as your notification for Gmail to /system/app, then it will work again.

Personally, I'll just wait for LPP to be updated.

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Now both SMS and Missed call notifier not working either on Go Launcher. I updated yesterday both GMail and GO Launcher and today the notification in dock bar completely broken. Any body else?

While it did break the gmail notification in GO Launcher, my SMS and missed calls still work fine. I am on the newest version of GL as well as gmail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000