Neither AppBrain nor GB can see SD card apps from previous DroidX

crazybabydoc

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I bent the pins in my Droid X (too many battery pulls) so refurb arrived yesterday. Google did NOT sync apps so I've been reloading manually. I also have AppBrain but was astonished to find that it missed the majority of installed apps (paid and free). Here's the curious part . . . neither AppBrain nor Gingerbread is reading the apps on my SD card that were installed on my previous DX.

When I hook up to my PC, it can see the apps on my card but AppBrain and Gingerbread could not. So I played around with AppBrain some more and under "My lists" it gave the options 'Apps on the Motorola Droid X" and "Apps on the phone". Clicking on the 'Droid X" and then 'poof' all of my missing apps were now visible to AppBrain but had to be reinstalled despite being on the SD already. I 're-installed' a few but then stopped because this seems like a big mess. In particular when I get to Note Everything Pro. I don't want to 'reinstall' and lose over a decade of notes (all the way back to PalmIII).

1) Is there a 'smarter' way to do this?

2) Is Google so full of smart people that they are too dumb to realize one of the most important applications is a clone function?

I have a high degree of disdain for all things Apple . . . but they don't have these kinds of issues (for better or worse). But I guess that's what you're paying for.:-$

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Neither AppBrain nor GB can see SD card apps from previous Dr

did you reformat the memory card? I think you might have to do that first.

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Believe it or not, I don't think apps installed to SD card are recognized by a new device. I say this because whenever I've done a factory reset, the phone doesn't show my SD card apps. I only get the apps back until after the phone redownloads the apps from Google. However, the apps download to the phone and are in an initialized state as if I had downloaded them for the first time. No app data is restored.

I read somewhere that the ability to move apps to SD was only meant to save phone memory and not as a way to back up and restore apps and their data. Seems crazy to me that it works this way. The thread I read previously implied that it works this way to keep people from copying paid apps from sd card to their friends sd card but that sounds like speculation to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Only a portion of the app moves to the sdcard the rest stays on the phone.
Any time you switch devices or cards you should always move apps on the sdcard to the phone.
The DX has so much internal memory I don't really see the point in moving apps to the card anyway.

raw157

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Do you have a card reader you can put the card into your comp and see if there is anything on it?

Do you have any back ups of your previous droid?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma