Droid X Photo/Video file compatibility issues since Gingerbread

rugby10

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Since the upgrade to Gingerbread, I am having consistent issues getting photos and videos taken with the X to display not only on my PC, but on a new Thrive Tablet I purchased. By trial and error, I found that if I email the photos to my non-gmail acct, the photos open fine on the PC (Vista OS). Video's are a total no-go. I've looked through the forums and found various options for using various Market Apps, workarounds, renaming extensions etc.. but none have worked on the video end. The video is coded as .3gp and although many apps claim to play the format, none have done so on the Tablet. At this point, I could without the video on the PC, but really want it on the Thrive. Anyone else having the same issue?
Thanks

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Droid X Photo/Video file compatibility issues since Gingerbre

Since the upgrade to Gingerbread, I am having consistent issues getting photos and videos taken with the X to display not only on my PC, but on a new Thrive Tablet I purchased. By trial and error, I found that if I email the photos to my non-gmail acct, the photos open fine on the PC (Vista OS). Video's are a total no-go. I've looked through the forums and found various options for using various Market Apps, workarounds, renaming extensions etc.. but none have worked on the video end. The video is coded as .3gp and although many apps claim to play the format, none have done so on the Tablet. At this point, I could without the video on the PC, but really want it on the Thrive. Anyone else having the same issue?
Thanks

Have you tried VLC player?

VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

rugby10

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

The link states that vlc is not available for android yet, which takes the Thrive out of the picture. I may try it for the PC and see if I can convert the file to a format the tablet will recognize. Thanks

rugby10

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Tried the VLC on my desktop and it could not play the 3gp files. Even Divx could not recognize the files. Is it possible that the phone is somehow corrupted in it's processing of the file formats? This has only been a problem since Gingerbread update. The files play perfectly on the Droid X but nowhere else. I've even tried converting them to other formats with various programs, but the programs don't recognize the files either. I'm at a total loss, other than uploading all the videos to my uTube page and accessing the there. Anyone got any other ideas/resolutions?

pwolly

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Did you ever figure out the issue? I'm having the same problem and the postings in this forum and in general seems to be scare?! Verizon technical support had no idea as well--- they said I should wipe the phone and start over which I really prefer not to do! Thanks.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I haven't experienced the problems you are encountering with photos and videos that were created on the Droid X with Gingerbread to play on my PC using Windows 7, so the problem is surely not universal to all DXs on Gingerbread.

I don't doubt that the problem you are having is real, but files generated by the stock camera app on the DX really shouldn't be causing that kind of issue, and you shouldn't have to resort to other apps to work around the problem. I would seriously consider doing a Factory Data Reset and test again with old and newly generated photo and video files. I know it's a pain, and I don't like doing them either, but sometimes it makes sense.

highjakker

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

i had the same problem with my videos not playing on my PC/laptop after transferring them. what i ended up doing was making quicktime my default player and it seems to open my videos and play them just fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463