white spot on screen

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Ive got an issue with my X. On screens that have a white background (ie google home page,etc..), i have a white spot about 1.5 inch up from the bottom of the screen, right in the center above the V in verizon thats printed on the phone. The white spot is only noticable on white background screens or webpages. What i have figured out is that if i take the battery cover off, and push on the battery in that spot, it causes the rippling effect and makes that spot bigger. Kind of like when you push your finger and touch a laptop screen or older LCD flat panel monitor and it makes the colors all wavy and rippled. So basically the battery is pushing something internally on the screen causing this white spot/ripple spot. Has anybody else noticed this, or is it just my phone/screen?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I havent seen that issue with my dx. I just checked it following your instructions.

sent using TaPaTaLk

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I actually have this exact same issue, and the spot is almost in the exact same spot on the phone. I was fine with it for a few weeks, but yesterday I noticed a TON of light bleed along the whole bottom of the screen. It seems like the LCD is separating at the bottom and letting a lot of light through. Mine also does the ripple thing if you press on the battery in the same spot.

You only really notice the problem on white/light screens though.

I took it by the VZW store yesterday and they said they would order me another DX, I assume it will be a refurb. I have like 2 or 3 weeks left on my 1 year warranty.

It seems like it is a battery/design issue though. I assume that the battery overheated and expanded and damaged the LCD screen in some way.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm that's weird ...(snip)

I agree ,,, and since others have also stated sounds like its getting contagious.:confused:
I am out of contract on my dx hopefully Im not affected by this yet..........I haven't seen an phone that I want to update to yet

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
but yesterday I noticed a TON of light bleed along the whole bottom of the screen.

yup, mine also has that light bleed along the bottom of the screen.

Oh well, i'm gonna upgrade as soon as the droid/nexus prime comes out. I really wanted to get the bionic, but after having a ton of moto phones (star tac,razr, droid1,droid2,droid X), i just feel that their quality is lacking compared to samsung phones and decided to skip the bionic.

Last edited:

lilnate

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I took some pictures of my screen..hope they come through for everyone. I always notice it when i use twitter cause i swear the default brightness goes to max no matter what when you go into the app. I thought maybe i wore out the place with my keyboard but now i think that maybe i didnt. Or i possible have a completely different problem from what the OP stated.

View attachment 14932

View attachment 14933

EDIT: after looking at my post, you can almost see the spot on the thumbnails better than when you look at the full version.

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I took some pictures of my screen..hope they come through for everyone. I always notice it when i use twitter cause i swear the default brightness goes to max no matter what when you go into the app. I thought maybe i wore out the place with my keyboard but now i think that maybe i didnt. Or i possible have a completely different problem from what the OP stated.

View attachment 14932

View attachment 14933

EDIT: after looking at my post, you can almost see the spot on the thumbnails better than when you look at the full version.

Very odd indeed. I also have the exact same spot (size and placement is freakishly similar) on my just under 1 year old DX. I am using the official DX extended battery from Verizon with the correct cover.

Starting to think it's more of an actual glass/screen manufacturing defect than an issue with the battery expanding and pushing out the glass.

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I got VZW to send me a refurb DX. The new used phone does not have this problem. Not saying it won't get the same problem... but....

I went into the store and the guy tried for about 5 seconds to tell me that I was "pressing too hard on the glass." I just ignored him and asked him if he could order me a refurb replacement. He said he had no problem doing that.

Although it did seem to me that someone replaced the screen on the refurb somewhere along the way. The screen on the refurb was noticeably "coarser" in feel. I had the original/refurb side by side for awhile before I sent the original back and the original definately had a smoother screen.

Last edited:

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Take off the battery cover while the phone is on. Push on the lower portion of the battery, the white spot will get much worse. It's a design flaw. It has nothing to do with pushing to hard on the screen.

tbt666

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem on my DROIDX and if you pull the battery out its right about where the sd card goes in where mine is coming from. It might be from getting to hot because some times DROIDXs will get hot if your runing a big/graphic game.

Philip600rr

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Same problem 2 weeks ago.I noticed when my phone got cold it was really bad. Replaced with warranty phone. Warranty phone did the same thing. 2 phones to fix. All is good now.

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i had a similar problem in the same location on the screen on my dx. it wasn't a "spot", but a collection of small lines, mostly parallel in the horizontal direction. they seemed to spread over a week or so, then one day they magically vanished. this was after i got my gnex, so perhaps it was envy on the part of the dx ;). in any case, they're still gone, and i don't know what happened. not arguing though. good luck.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I started noticing the same thing, except that when my screen is off, it looks like a bubble under a screen protector (which I dod not have). This weekend I pulled the battery and the bubble went away. Put the battery back in and powered it, still no bubble. I put the cover back on and the bubble came back. I looked at the batter and observed a slight bulge. I confirmed this with a pair of calipers.

I am not sure that the buldge is new, but if it is, then I am a bit concerned about what may have caused it and itf it is oing to melt my phone in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34