Just curious what you guys do. When you are in an app and are ready to leave do you press the back button to back out of the app or just hit the home key.

I seem to back out but that means having to push the button several times. What do you do?
    10-26-2011 12:05 PM
    I believe the back button actually closes the app and the home button just keeps it running in the background. That's the way I've been doing it also
    10-26-2011 04:44 PM
    Depends on what ROM you are running. If you are stock, you can hit the home key which kills the app activity, yet if it has background actions they may still be running. On a stock X, if you want to tally kill an app and its processes you would do that in the app management menu by tapping Stop. Undesired effects may follow, may not depends on the app.

On custom ROMs we run, such as MIUI, there is a built in function by long pressing Back, that kills the app and its connection(process). You can set it to how long the press is, from 2 seconds to .5
    I know back on Liberty froyo there was something similar.
    10-26-2011 05:37 PM
    Nice tip jerseyboy. I should have known that but didn't.
    10-26-2011 09:35 PM
    I always press the Menu key first to check whether the dev has included an "Exit" or "Quit" function in the app. That would be the best way to terminate. However, if there are background processes running, as was mentioned by jerseyboy, you would need to kill them manually if they don't stop themselves soon after exiting the app. I usually just use Advanced Task Killer to do that if I see any terminated apps still running. Never had any problems with this method.
    10-26-2011 09:42 PM
    Interesting, I was just wondering this the other day also. I normally click back a bunch of times to get out. But sometimes its just quicker to hit home and be done with it. My phone runs great either way I do it, so I don't worry to much about it. But I do use back more then home.
    10-27-2011 02:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD